Crap Forced hunam behaviour.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Are we as humans forced, or conditionalized(word even?), a bit too much?

I mainly noticed this in sleep, where we're pretty much told from a larva phase that we need 8 hours of solid sleep, when in fact sleep is based on need not necessity. Which is ofcourse based on the needs of the body, or the mind.

That's a prime example, while the whole thing goes to other areas as well.

Is the human species programmed to repeat mistakes, by trying to enforce the offspring into the same patterns as the parent units? Is there an inherit benefit into it all?

I think people are and that it's one of the major contributors for intolerance as well, especially since people like comfort and if we're told from birth that X is Y, then X being Z must be bad.

Also as per title;

spathi-council.gif

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
*waits for the religion debate with a twist*

With regards to the sleep thing, people used to sleep for a few hours a night, get up sometime during the night for a couple of hours and then go back to bed again, apparently it is much better for you and your sleep is of a much better quality. It's only in the last century or so that we have had the standard 8 hour sleep (Though I do 5-6 hours usually)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Religion too is forced, i agree with that, should be a personal choice to make. That's about it i think on that twist of it :p

I've been cutting down sleep myself, bit by bit, going to be when i do feel tired and adjusting the alarm(for work) accordingly. Been saving up precious hours for gaming.

Didn't know that the 8 hour thing was a recent one though, coolbeans.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
fyi

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmented_sleep

I actually hit stage 2 pretty quickly where I am asleep but don't know it, during hayfever season or if I have had a drink I snoore, often my wife tells me to roll over and stop snooring and I say to her, how can I be snooring, I am not asleep. She then says you bloody well are asleep!

In my youth I used to be able to have conversations with friends when they stayed over while I was asleep.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
There are actually tons of human behaviours, that through tradition, conditioning, fashion, or even the whims of our "betters" in days gone by, that we do without thinking. Your sleep example is one (actually driven by industrialisation and the modern work cycle; its not a natural thing at all). Another would be childbirth (flat on one's back ain't the way) and a third would be going for a dump. The way we do it in the developed world is incredibly bad for us and is a big factor in the rise in prostate cancers. We should actually squat (failing that, you should try to have your knees higher up than your arse). The other big one would be our food consumption; we've not really evolved to consume anything like as many grains as we do.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
You need to be asleep for afew hours at a time to reach REM sleep which is vital for higher brain function

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah probably right, 1.5cycle doesn't guarantee rem, but rem guarantees a cycle (y)

sayward

Resident Freddy
People used to sleep when it was dark, pre gas and electricity, and get up as soon as it got light in the morning.

Various articles I've read recently have said we don't need as much sleep as previously thought i.e 8 hours.

DaGaffer

People used to sleep when it was dark, pre gas and electricity, and get up as soon as it got light in the morning.

Various articles I've read recently have said we don't need as much sleep as previously thought i.e 8 hours.

Well that's handy because I haven't had eight hours continuous sleep in the last two and a half years.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
i regularly sleep 10-12 hours per night friday/sat but maybe 5-6 on normal weeknight o_O

is it possible to "collect" sleep? Ive noticed if i dont get my long weekend sleep i feel tired as hell all week

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I do pretty much the same, sleep little during the week but have super sleepy catch up time at the weekends. Mmmm.

opticle

Part of the furniture
I refuse to
a third would be going for a dump. The way we do it in the developed world is incredibly bad for us and is a big factor in the rise in prostate cancers. We should actually squat (failing that, you should try to have your knees higher up than your arse).

I refuse to accept this. My experience of squatters in Thailand is horrific. :X3:

Why would you want to do anything but sit down and chill out ?
Especially if you're elderly - that's guaranteed to lead to falls and broken hips.

Is there any evidence for this ? Esp with the prostate Ca ? I can't work out where the logical connection comes in..

opticle

Part of the furniture
On topic: You've seen how quickly the world has become conditioned to fashion, Apple, etc. - conditioned behaviour and crowd mentality are inbuilt. Just try yawning around a group of people :)

It's pretty scary once you start questioning what actually determines "right" and "wrong" social behaviour, it's all pretty arbitrary.

RE: sleep, I think the "natural" sleep cycle is probably disrupted when you have to be at work 9-6/7pm Mon-Fri :) The Mediterranean have it right with late nights and siestas \o/

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I refuse to accept this...Why would you want to do anything but sit down and chill out ?

Just to answer this for you opticle ...

/science ON

..going for a dump. .... We should actually squat

I made a nice big dal yesterday. Curry-lentil-tastic. Problem with lentils is that they give me uber-phat extra-solid giants-causeway lumper-dumps that normally rip the shit out of my ringpiece. Full-stretch.

So, when the time came today I decided to give the squat a try. No small feat for my 6'2"+ frame, but I managed it, both of my size-13's on the bog seat, sphincter positioned above trap.

The results?:

POSITIVES: Surprisingly comfortable. Anus-opener and that's for sure. MAMMOTH log passed with relative ease. It is also a natural position to give your cheeks a goatse-style pull for extra dump-eze. I could literally feel the poo fall straight out of my body.

NEGATIVES: Only two. Firstly, you need to be naked from the waist down - the experience has given me a much greater appreciation for the traditional clothing of Scotsmen. Secondly, due to the bog-design issues and having the same if-pooing-must-also-wee issue that Wij has (and I suspect some others) I didn't manage to get my standard pint and a half of piss neatly into the bog, some of it annoyingly splashed on the seat - despite my efforts to not "force the stream" and to let it pathetically dribble out.

CONCLUSION: A *much* better (and faster) way of excreting which suffers from bog-design issues.

/science OFF

:)

opticle

Part of the furniture
Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for such a detailed run down of events.

Seriously, how did you squat on the toilet ? I don't understand how it was possible. Can we have a diagram ?

And Wee-Whilst-Shit is essential :coffee:

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Actually I can't wee until I stand up again. Weeing is a standing thing. Pooing is a sitting thing.

opticle

Part of the furniture
I sometimes find I have to go back for more of a wee after. But Wee-Whilst-Shit continues to be the natural order of things.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I sometimes find I have to go back for more of a wee after. But Wee-Whilst-Shit continues to be the natural order of things.
NO IT ISN'T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You stand up and carve the log with your stream. Also the yellow bog brush can remove skids from the side of the bog before they dry on.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Shit-Piss is the way forward!

I watched a cool documentary about sleeping ages ago - basically, your sleeping patterns are made to what you're used to, IE if you've been working 9-5 every day during week, you'll get up at that time, and when you say YAY ITS THE WEEKEND your brain is also saying YAY ITS THE WEEKEND, but not as excited, because it doesn't really give a fuck to be honest.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
NO IT ISN'T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You stand up and carve the log with your stream. Also the yellow bog brush can remove skids from the side of the bog before they dry on.

I don't know, I produce some mega sticky thick turds that set faster than industry strength glue.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Actually I can't wee until I stand up again. Weeing is a standing thing. Pooing is a sitting thing.

That's just a wasted effort. Get it all done in one go I say.

I forgot to say that, despite the size of shit, wiping was almost completely unnecessary. I imagine that for a squidgy or runny fucker the thing would fall straight through the sphincter at speed and barely sully the sides.

But that would require more science to find out.

We'll see. I may feel inquisitive.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
So we've learned that Scouse doesn't wipe and smells of sh*t and that Wij is still a sit-stand-poo-pee weirdo :p

DaGaffer

Is there any evidence for this ? Esp with the prostate Ca ? I can't work out where the logical connection comes in..

I would also like to know the cancer argument for this....

They've been trying to work out for years why prostate cancer rates in the West are way higher than in Asia and Africa. Loads of potential culprits have been targeted; red meat, wheat, alcohol, you name it, but while they are all triggers for other cancers, there didn't seem to be a logical reason why they should affect the prostate. Then toilet habits came under the spotlight, and while the evidence isn't conclusive, it does seem to be a likely factor. I read an article about it quite recently but I can't seem to find it, although google chucks up research they've done comparing African-American men with Africans and the toilet thing is flagged as the key difference in habits.

NB. The other big risk factor most recently identified is the high levels of oestrogen being found in men's bodies (thanks to birth control pills in the water supply), which seems to be the cause of catalogue of ills.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
You could say, based on that, that drinking purple juice is a key difference. Or watermelons.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
When wij or the other weirdos poo, do they wipe before standing up and pissing on the turd? If they do, surely the paper covers it? If they don't, they must get shit all over their arse lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom