For vista users...

Chronictank

FH is my second home
lol the app doesnt do anything other than turn off some special effects when on battery power

He went into hibernate instead of shutting down, it's the same as Xp so i dont really see the point of the whole "from cold boot" vs hibernate video as you are not shutting it down :/

sleep (standby) doesnt shut down the computer it lowers the power usage, and anything you were doing will still be there when you turn it on again. However if the power is interrupted you lose all your work that you have saved before you left

hibernate automatically saves the state of your computer before switching off. But as such is slower than sleep as it needs to re-load all your applications to the state they were when you turned it off

HOWEVER none of the memory is cleared and the machine isn't reset so its effectively like leaving your pc on all the time, so its recommended you reset your pc every now and again

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Best way to speed Vista up is to delete the fucker and install XP. From then on you will have zero downtime waiting for Vista to load. ;)

Mey

Part of the furniture
My vista runs fine lol!

I'd wager it boots quicker than alot of XP computers.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Best way to speed Vista up is to delete the fucker and install XP. From then on you will have zero downtime waiting for Vista to load. ;)

Apple whore!!! Ohh shit now i'm confused :p

Im running everything Vista as of last weekend i don't know what the fuss is about my lap top is not a monster but its not much slower running up Vista than XP. Vista is not great but nor was XP at first, but now im used to Vista I think its fine.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Until they sort out the graphics drivers its silly using Vista on a machine you use predominantly for gaming. -5 to 10 FPS. no ta (and my PC is far more than enough for games :))

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Until they sort out the graphics drivers its silly using Vista on a machine you use predominantly for gaming. -5 to 10 FPS. no ta (and my PC is far more than enough for games :))
Wouldn't generalise like that, there is little/no performance hit for ati cards

Dahakon

Fledgling Freddie
Im running everything Vista as of last weekend i don't know what the fuss is about my lap top is not a monster but its not much slower running up Vista than XP.

Surely the whole point of a new OS is that it is quicker? the fact that Vista can't even boot as fast as what it's replacing shows how sit it is tbh.

In other good anti-Microsoft news, Becta (the board that advises British schools) has officailly told schools they shouldn't get Vista or Office 2007. xD

Mey

Part of the furniture
Tbh i think vista is aimed at users who have no idea what they are doing with computers, given that it does pretty much everything for you!

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
I actually tested the program from 'a cold reboot' and it does actually improve the performance of the boot overall ie it is faster

soze

I am a FH squatter
Surely the whole point of a new OS is that it is quicker? the fact that Vista can't even boot as fast as what it's replacing shows how sit it is tbh.

In other good anti-Microsoft news, Becta (the board that advises British schools) has officailly told schools they shouldn't get Vista or Office 2007. xD

The point of Vista was to modernise and beef up security which they have done. If Vista was not free to me maybe i would not run it but i am used to it now so i run it every where and like it.

We actually reccomend to all customers they stay with XP unless they have a need for Vista but new machines with XP are becoming rare.

Tbh i think vista is aimed at users who have no idea what they are doing with computers, given that it does pretty much everything for you!

I disagree with that dump Vista infront of a user who know nothing about computers but has used XP for 5 years there head would explode at least someone who knows about computers can figure out how to work round it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom