For those with Graphic Card Woe's

A

Armalite

I see no mention of ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, it is THE best graphic card available, and I can assure you, it does deliver.

I run SI with max graphic setting, no lag, no reloggs (only 1 due to trainer bug).

Specs:
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
AMD Athlon XP 2400
1G Ram
Windows XP

Do get some "bubble" lag when i enter towns/jordheim/svasud for players loading, havent had this problem in the new SI zones.

1 thing also, when i run around with my skald, the reflective water doesnt get time to update fast enaugh, so u see a "smoochy" surface instead of reflective a second or two b4 it updates.

I'm overall very happy ^^

A

Aeternus

yet another generation of graphics cards will enter the market in a couple months, pretty much rendering the current cards talked about in this thread pretty outdated (although will certainly bring a handsome price cut for most cards out there.... competion is good). Not for SI of course, but if you play other games of current date (or future), you migth wanna invest in something better... for me personally my radeon8500le is working just fine and i bougth it ages ago for cheaper than most those cards above go for.

Great card and will prolly last me another 3-6months before I get cranky about fps...

S

SevenSins

I'm running DAoC on a Athlon K-7 900 Mhz, with 512mb RAM (pc 133) and a Geforce 4 TI 4400 128mb DDR :>

Ofcourse I use windows 2000 SP 3

Having no problems whatsoever, game is smooth as hell, I only have long loading times due to my "crappy" cpu.

I think the best affordable GFX cards for DAoC/SI are the geforce 4 Ti 4200 and the Ati Radeon 8500 series.

I choose nvidia above ATI because the drivers from ati's side are a fucking pain in the ass, and tend to usually fuck everything up.

Just use WQL certified detonators and nothing ever has gone, or has been wrong with my geforce.

So basically, the Ati radeon may be cheaper for the same quality (which isn't true at all, yet people keep stating it), you'll also experience shitloads of driver problems if your an unlucky bastard like myself.

If you bought an ATI radeon and never had problems with any game whatsoever, consider yourself lucky.

We've had about 15 customers over 3 months returning their cards or complete system due to clashing hardware/software with ATI Radeon's involved.

1 Tip, Don't buy anything Geforce 4 that has the name ASUS on it.

The fans tend to die within 2 months, which can cause some problems inside the box.

Just my 2 cents of experience.

P

[PS]Fool

I have been looking into buying a new gfx card, and i can spend upto about 50 pounds, maby a little more. I currently have a Dell p4 1.5ghz, 512 RAM, and some shite Geforce 2 gpx card.
What would you guys suggest i buy? i had a look at a few on ebuyer, but i got confused with some of the terms, for example wtf is DVI? :)

T

Teh Krypt

While were on the subject..

Whats the best gaming OS?

S

SilverHood

using Win2k pro.

Never had any game related problem with it. Only crashes are hardware related.
Oh, and it means that if something crashes, you can just end that particular application, rather than having to restart eveything.

Having been on 95, 98, 98 SE, ME, Win2k, Win2k Pro, XP, I can say that I find wink2k pro the best. Honestly, this is the least sucky microsoft OS out there.

:)

S

Skrad

Went out and bought 2 new radeon 9000's today and other than a fight with the silly onboard gfx card (solved) it all went smoothly and they run great :D

Oh and my old pc is a P3 667 with 256 Mb ram and it's running very smoothly!

A

agreiloth

I just got myslef an ATI Radeon 9700 PRO, and it really rocks, its expensive, but its a full DX9 card, which means you can play DOOM 3 when it eventually comes. And according to John Carmach (ID Software), it's faster than the yet to be released GeForceFX! :D

But to stay on topic, yes the GF3 ti200 is a good buy!

P

Pempulla

Originally posted by agreiloth
I just got myslef an ATI Radeon 9700 PRO, and it really rocks, its expensive, but its a full DX9 card, which means you can play DOOM 3 when it eventually comes. And according to John Carmach (ID Software), it's faster than the yet to be released GeForceFX! :D

But to stay on topic, yes the GF3 ti200 is a good buy!

You do know that Doom is a Dx8 game though, right ;)? And it's not like the GeforceFX isn't released yet, it's just not widely available :) (which may suck in addition to the card itself ;)).

P

[PS]Fool

anyone know what the 99 days avalibility means on ebuyer?

thanks

K

katzeyez

Whilst on the subject of graphics, which drivers are people using for their GeForce3 cards? Since upgrading to SI and the latest drivers from Nvidia I have noticed that certain things look fuzzy, for lack of a better word, particularly names.

Anyone shed any light on this?

And the place that I will almost always buy from is www.microdirect.co.uk. No G3's anymore :( and I can't be bothered to price match on G4's, but I have always found them to be very good.

M

Melodic

is there any real difference between leadtek and gainward cards?

M

Madonion Slicer

To Answer a few of the questions above

Gainward, Leadtek, Hercules, Sapphire these are all good makes of GF Range and ATI Range no real difference between them. Ocansionally Gainward or Leadtek my advertise they us better ram on there cards or the bundle package is better, but when it come down to brass tacks they are like for like across the range.

DAoC SI is only a DX8.1 Game so you only need a card that can handle that these GF FX and ATI 9700Pro are a bit over kill and pricey but it is your money. Like i said in the first post you can all the flashy bits you need with an ATi9000 or GF3Ti200 they cost 1/5th of the price.

99Days on Ebuyer means they are no likely to be stocking it ever again, find another product.

Also at the moment DDR and PC133 Memory is as cheap as chips so getting you PC to atleast 512mb of either DDR or PC133(100) is a very good idea, i bought 2 sticks of 256 PC2100 DDR ram from ebuyer for less than £40.

M

Madonion Slicer

i have 3 PC's running DAOC they are

Athlon 1333
Shuttle AK31 3.1
512 PC2100 DDR
GF3 TI200 64MB
SB Live 5.1

Duron 1300
ECS Mainboard
512 PC2100 DDR
ATI 9000Pro 64MB
SB Live 5.1

PIII 650e
Intel Board
512 PC133
GF2 MX 32MB
SB Live 5.1

My first two PC's run SI with all graphics on full running at 1280x1024 (21" Monitors) with no problems at all, will turn shadows and water off in RVR, but is add to the game in PvE.

My 3rd runs DAoC Original at 1024x768 fine, not tried SI on it yet but i will and let you lot know how it fairs on a low system.

But my basic point is it does not cost a fortune to have a decent PC and run the games you want to.

O

omi

Just a quick warning to those considering buying a Gainward GF4 Ti4200.

I have this card and it is excellent 99.9% of the time with 12000+ 3DMark 2001SE scores. However both the 64MB & 128MB version have a maunfacturing defect that doesnt always become apparent straight away (i.e. took mine 6 months to go wrong).

I have since returned my card to the company I purchased it from who have sent it on to Gainward for repair (its just a couple of capacitors on it that need changing). So I'm using a GF2MX in the mean time :( (would have to happen just before SI gets released :rolleyes: )

My advice is that although not all of these cards are faulty - you do run the risk - so just make sure you buy it from a respectable retailer who you know will honour the warranty.

Check this thread at amdforums:

http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=166031&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

If this puts you off buying one then fair enough - but I have to say for the price, this is a very powerful and capable card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom