For those with Graphic Card Woe's

M

Madonion Slicer

Have seen few post here and there now about people either wanted new graphics cards and so on, below are 2 graphics that i have used many times in the budget builds i do for people they are cheap and will show DAOC+SI in all it's glory.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=40553

ATI Radeon 9000 64MB £50.69 Inc Vat

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=43111

Gainward GF3 TI200 £70.27 Inc Vat

Now the GF3 will be fast than the ATI, but i like the ATI picture quality compared to the GF3 so it is a toss up, both of these cards score over 6K in 3dmark2001se, at default clocks with 1.3 Athlon processors.

For me the ATI for 50 quid is a bargain.

But this is just some info for those looking into such a thing.

Have any question about them just ask.

O

old.0xygen

ebuyer are a good supplier as well used them quite a few times. Although a £15.00 delivery charge to Northern Ireland is a bit weak

F

Flimgoblin

what sort of speed are those two compared to a geforce 4mx? Not sure I wanna downgrade my speed just for the neato effects... but if they're faster and fancier...

O

old.0xygen

GeForce3 Ti200
175MHz
400MHz
700 Mpixels/sec
DVI-I and VGA ports

GeForce4 MX 460
300MHz
550MHz
600 Mpixels/sec
DDR memory, dual display

GeForce4 MX 440
270MHz
400MHz
540 Mpixels/sec
DDR memory, dual display

GeForce4 MX 420
250MHz
333MHz
500 Mpixels/sec
SDR memory, dual display
VisionTek Xtacy model

In otherwords its better than all the gf4 MX's

the gf3 ti500 is even better than the gf4 ti4200

M

Madonion Slicer

Core and memory speeds i dont know off the top of my head, but both these cards will out do a GF4MX, as the GF3 and ATI are both fully supported DX8.1 cards where the MX is 8.0.

GF4MX is simply a revamped GF2MX as far as i am aware the Core and Memory has not been changed, Nvidia need a budget version of the GF4 so the MX went in, those that still have GF2 Ultra's and the like will out do a GF4MX.

Check out www.futuremark.com former Madonion.com home of the 3dmark range, on the forums there you will quickly pick up on the remarks about the Nvidia range.

For me if i had £50 to spend, i would get the ATI, no card can come close to it for that kind of money, after that card i would only look at the ATI9500-9700 or the Ti4600 and they are 3-4 times the price.

M

Madonion Slicer

Oxygen you sure you got the right clocks on the TI200, mine Hercules TI200 runs at 200/400, and i am thinking the ti500 is 250/500.

Thing to watch out for is OEM models of cards always have lower clock speeds and memory speeds.

But i agree pound for pound the Ti200 beats pretty much all the GF4mx range, most Ti200 are only clocked slower than the ti500 and any OCing software can fix that.

S

Sharma

err i bought mine from Jungle, some cards are good some are a bloody rip off but at least, they do have half arsed makes :p

K

kenid

slow system

Ok, I'm running an Athlon K7-850 Thunderbird with 768 SDRAM and a GeForce 2 Ti. The system I'm running is pretty slow. When I'm entering Castle Sauvage or get a lot of characters in my screen I get a real low fps.

Can I expect the SI patch to speed things up (better Graphics engine perhaps). Or should I invest in a new Geforce and/or CPU?

Thanks,
Kenid Battousai
lvl 45 Scout
<ASq>

T

Tiwaz

Originally posted by Madonion Slicer
Thing to watch out for is OEM models of cards always have lower clock speeds and memory speeds.
That is, AFAIK, a trick only ATI uses. (And this is not to bash on ATI, just facts)

P

Pempulla

Originally posted by old.0xygen

the gf3 ti500 is even better than the gf4 ti4200

Well,this is definitely not true, especially when it comes to antialiasing and anything dx8 based (like SI is...).

In older games the Ti500 may (and only may) have a slight advantage, which is only noticeable in benchmarks anyway and it is not like the Ti4200 can't run those games better than necessary. And once you turn on AA/AF in those games Ti4200 dominates in all tests. Ti4200 simply is faster than Geforce3Ti500. I can't see anyone in their right mind recommending a Gf3Ti500 over a Ti4200 though unless there is a significant price difference in favour of the 3Ti500, which quite rarely is the case.

G

gengi

So this means if I read it correctly I should be ok with a GeForce 3 Ti 500 64 meg card ??? (xp1700+ proc and 512 meg ram XP os)
Its an Innovision card also bought from ebuyer, as was mentioned above good selection and good delivery.
Is Ireland still expensive they seem to have revamped their delivery prices since I last bought stuff from them ?

Later

Gengee

P

Pempulla

Originally posted by Tiwaz

That is, AFAIK, a trick only ATI uses. (And this is not to bash on ATI, just facts)

A trick that has been used by Ati, Matrox, Nvidia (well, Nvidia only makes the chips now so hard to say...), you name it. Probably all card manufacturers really.

M

Madonion Slicer

If you have a already got a

GF3
GF3ti200
GF3ti500

ATI7500
ATI8500
ATI9000

Then you have no worries, these post was intended for those running MX cards or cards that do not support DX8.1,

GF4MX or a GF2MX simply does not have the power to give you all the flashy add on, but if you dont give a monkeys about that then stick to what you have, in my first post is the cheapest way to get an excellent graphical boost to any system no mate the Processor.

A

Apathy

A

Apathy

~cries~

So many cards...so many nice prices...no clue what to buy.

a.

O

old.Jable

watch out for ebuyer - my mate sent his gf4mx back to them by royal mail special delivery and they said they didnt receive it. turns out they have 4 months of returns stockpiled, and royal mail had probs delivering to them because they have randomly closed returns departments all over the place.

overclockers.co.uk is a much better site - i bought a saphire 9100 128mb card for 77quid inc p&p, which is a rebadged 8500 card if you didnt know.

and yes, it rocks. overclocked it to 300/250 and scored over 8k in 3dmark. it plays unreal tournament at 1600 rez with all on max at a completely playable framerate - if i turn it down to 1024*768 its completely uber.

V

Vorcyn

I've spent almost 6 grand with ebuyer over the last year and the half or so and have hardly any problems at all, but when i did have a problem a quick phonecall or email sorted it.
Nice professional, easy to use site, and the cheapest prices for most hardware i've seen, go for em :p

(And no, i wont work for them.)

O

old.Jable

ive bought dodgy ram from ebuyer, my mate has bought dodgy ram and graphics cards from them, he has phoned and got no answer on many occasions.

he has also ordered stuff off the website and not received it because altho the site said it had cards in stock, it didnt.

im glad you spent that much there without a problem. personally i wont touch them with a celtic spear.

P

psykyker

what are these 'SE' Geforce cards - someone told me they were similar to the MX ones?

D

deffy

i assume your talking about the gf4Ti4800-SE. It's just a Ti4400 with 8X AGP, it's a top card if you have or are planning to get an 8X motherboard, otherwise you can get a Ti4600 for a bit less. Oh and don't bother buying a GF3, it'll be next to useless by the end of the year ;)

P

Pempulla

Originally posted by deffy
i assume your talking about the gf4Ti4800-SE. It's just a Ti4400 with 8X AGP, it's a top card if you have or are planning to get an 8X motherboard, otherwise you can get a Ti4600 for a bit less. Oh and don't bother buying a GF3, it'll be next to useless by the end of the year ;)

Although I still maintain that the Ti4200 is somewhat faster than the Geforce3 or 3Ti500 cards, I wouldn't say that it has any longer of a lifespan as the GF3 cards. The difference is so small and as GF4Ti lines advantage is mainly the faster AA, a 4Ti card won't really be any less 'useless' than a Geforce3 by the end of the year, as both are still and always 'only' Dx8 cards.

K

kinag

Muahahaha got myself a Gainward GeForce 4 TI2400 128DDR mbit card two days ago so now im fully awaiting SI :cool:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by kinag
Muahahaha got myself a Gainward GeForce 4 TI2400 128DDR mbit card two days ago so now im fully awaiting SI :cool:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

you mean TI4200 :p

K

kinag

Originally posted by Octanion

you mean TI4200 :p

a little to quick on the keyboard there :rolleyes:

aye, it is Gainward GeForce 4 TI4200 128DDR mbit ;)

K

kan-

yeh im using the Gainward ti4200 64mb. Should get daoc looking its best :)

Anyone here actually played the new SI client? Whats the FPS increase like?

S

Skrad

*bump* seeing as there are probably quite a lot of people looking for this info (Including me... thanks :clap: )

R

Rathe.

it looks a hella lot more pretty for it, and takes a fair few more people on screen than it used to, to start giving my computer a seizure.

Just... see it for yourself :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom