News For Sale : Yahoo

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Eek, my work mail is Yahoo, hope they dont sell it to

wehaveboughtyahooandthisisournewdomainhowcoolisthat.com

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Google and Facebook is gonna have an all out war over this.

that's my guess any way. :)

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Only 3 years ago Microsoft was going to buy this failure of a company for $45 billion. Amazing how fast a company can become irrelevant if they fail to innovate.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Google and Facebook is gonna have an all out war over this.

that's my guess any way. :)

I doubt they will bother really. I don't know anyone who uses Yahoo for anything, even my mum has a gmail account.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Any of us who are on Flickr have a Yahoo account, that's the only reason I can think for ever having one :p

Chilly

Balls of steel
I doubt they will bother really. I don't know anyone who uses Yahoo for anything, even my mum has a gmail account.

I have yahoo email, as do lots of people I know. It's because we're not 12 years old and existed before google.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I have yahoo email, as do lots of people I know. It's because we're not 12 years old and existed before google.

Hotmail for those who knew of the internet before the late bloomers :p

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber

I'm older than you.

I had a yahoo email years ago but it was crap. It was actually a talk21 email but they were bought by yahoo or some shit.

Anyway, it was rubbish so I moved with the times and got a decent email that works properly with various programs.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Hotmail for those who knew of the internet before the late bloomers :p
Yup, hotmail, got it almost as i came for a rubbish bin to register on various sites/forums, saved my "real" adress ahole lot of spam.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Hotmail here as well, they also seem to be an old internet name that doesn't really offer anything any more.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
They can't be serious.

My btinternet account became yahoo, the android app is pretty cool, no complaints.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yahoo fucked itself when it did nothing to improve its search engine. The fact it's now Bing means there's little else left that can't just be replicated elsewhere.

Google and Microsoft have gmail and hotmail so who needs yahoo mail?

The only thing I think makes sense is if Microsoft swallow it because of messenger. They have Skype and with AOL on the ropes, M$ could pull off what google talk never did, an everyone to everyone IM system. Wire that into windows phone 7 and you might even dent Blackberry messenger.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I'm older than you.

I had a yahoo email years ago but it was crap. It was actually a talk21 email but they were bought by yahoo or some shit.

Anyway, it was rubbish so I moved with the times and got a decent email that works properly with various programs.

I've still got a talk21 account on yahoo; I use it for all my subscriptions and purchases. Works perfectly fine and has done for the 16 years I've had it. Tbh I have gmail, hotmail and a personal domain mail as well, and I use them all for different things.

Yahoo still turned over $6bn and made a profit of $600-odd million last year, which is hardly chump change. Problem is they should have taken the Microsoft deal when it was on the table; Microsoft no longer really need yahoo now they're getting their act together on Bing (which is growing quite well) and there aren't many other players who'd either want Yahoo or would do anything worthwhile with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom