[Football] Mourinho For England?

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Didn't you hear Mourinho will be managing Denmark? Everything is settled, he just needs to sign!

ileks

Part of the furniture
nice, he would be a far better choice than cappello if you ask me. Dont think Capello even speaks english.

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
Mourinho = prick. Feel free to show me his form at club level - he's won trophies, and rightly so (bought trophies at Chelsea - he block bought so many players to stop other premiership teams having them).

Tell me how he can manage a national team who needs youth players? I personally hope he can, but I hate anyone who considers themselves the 'special one' then falls on his arse when his squad has injuries.

Arrogance is something a national manager never needs. They need humility, an appreciation of passion, and patience for the fans (who really should be more understanding but unfortunately they aren't).

Mourinho has never held any of these qualities. :flame:

I still hark back to a thread a few days ago when England were kicked out the Euros, the FA are to blame for not rigourously coming up with a regime of appointment; Barwick basically chose him personally and McClaren now holds the shortest stint as manager for a while - bring back the nutters:

https://forums.freddyshouse.com/off-topic-21/224229-comon-you-england-3.html#post3274007

Rock it on for the Celtic Cup in 2009 :clap:

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Arrogance is something a national manager never needs. They need humility, an appreciation of passion, and patience for the fans (who really should be more understanding but unfortunately they aren't).

The england squad needs someone arrogant (subsequently confident) enough to tell big names where to stick it if they dont perform.
I think he would do great as he would mould the team into what he wants them to be, and more importantly he would get results.
The critsism by purists is that he doesnt play exhibition games, he plays them to win even if it means a boring game

Other than that i cant see how you can discount him as there is no doubt he is a great manager who can get big players to play together

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Gerrard and Lampard again, would be my guess :D

tierk

Part of the furniture
I dont think England will win anything with Jose at the wheel. His teams have got to be the most boring teams to watch as well, kinda like George Grahams Arsenal.

Now some people might think that its a small price to pay for winning something. Personally i think that its debatable that England will win under this guy as he has shown to be a consistent failure at the top level when managing English teams.

Besides which i have always maintained that English football is one of the most exciting styles of playing the game and trust me Chelsea u7nder Jose didnt play a English style of football but rather a Italian version of football even more boring then the way the Italians play it. Just watch ManU or Arsenal or even Liverpool (on a good day) and then compare them with Chelsea's style under Jose. Chalk and Cheese!!

Venables over this guy any day of the week and give him a long lucrative contract as well so as to make it worth while to the man!!

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
I disagree, that dood would put some egos into touch and perhaps get England playing like a team again. Although he might bore us to death with his play style , just like Amphrax xD

tierk

Part of the furniture
I disagree, that dood would put some egos into touch and perhaps get England playing like a team again.......

If you think the reason that England are not doing well in competitions because of ego issues then i think that maybe you either dont watch a lot of football or you are just plain pissed off and and trying to find someone to blame for shitty management.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I like his attitude really, yeah the guy is a prick and he knows it, he just doesn't care :)

Not sure if he could be a good international manager though.

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
If you think the reason that England are not doing well in competitions because of ego issues then i think that maybe you either dont watch a lot of football or you are just plain pissed off and and trying to find someone to blame for shitty management.

Nah, I don't gifv a shit rly, I got a ferrari etc........ :kissit:

tierk

Part of the furniture
Nah, I don't gifv a shit rly, I got a ferrari etc........ :kissit:

Think that you will find that top players of all nationalities drive flash cars, doesnt seem to be a problem for them when they play international football. As i said earliar it just seems that people want to blame someone for losing and this time its the players that are getting it, instead of the fucking idiots that gave the job to Mr. Incompetent.

I just dont see why the obsession with getting in a foriegner to do the job and esp with a guy like Jose whose teams play the most boring football ever. I think that was one of the reasons he got the boot from Chelsea as Abramhovich wanted his team to play a more exciting type of football which is fair enough after spending a gazilion bucks on players.

Rubric

Part of the furniture
I think i would drop exciting for winning efficiency tbh.

Bring him on.

tierk

Part of the furniture
I think i would drop exciting for winning efficiency tbh.

Bring him on.

I think that SAF and Wenger have proven that you can win and be exciting at the same time. Dont know about you but i hate watching Italy or Italian league football teams playing. I would hate to see the most exciting football style in the world at club level to start to play boring Italain style of football at international level, just for the sake of trying to win something.

Also i just dont think it can be made to work as English players are not by nature players of that style of football. Go watch any game of sunday league footie and you will see it is all about getting stuck in, making tackles and a fast pace of attack. Not the mind numbing slow build up that is the norm in Italy.

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Mourinho = prick. Feel free to show me his form at club level - he's won trophies, and rightly so (bought trophies at Chelsea - he block bought so many players to stop other premiership teams having them).

How much money did he spend at porto then?

Aile

Fledgling Freddie
Hes a top class manager theres no doubt about that, The only qualm I have with him is that he will play Lampard all the time, and I'm so not cool with that. Hargreaves all the way

Vladamir

FH is my second home
If he gets the best out of the players he uses, does it matter?

Aile

Fledgling Freddie
When there are better players to get the best out of, then yes, yes it does! ;)

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Also i just dont think it can be made to work as English players are not by nature players of that style of football. Go watch any game of sunday league footie and you will see it is all about getting stuck in, making tackles and a fast pace of attack. Not the mind numbing slow build up that is the norm in Italy.

John Terry, Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole, Joe Cole.

That looks like a strong part of the England set up who all saw success playing in this way under Mourinho.

tierk

Part of the furniture
John Terry, Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole, Joe Cole.

That looks like a strong part of the England set up who all saw success playing in this way under Mourinho.

A fit Gerrard or Hargreaves over Lampard any day. J Cole aint bad either but not a automatic choice. Ashley Cole has been a big disappointment since he joined Chelsea for me, certainly not the player he was at Arsenal but given the lack of any real decent players at his postion he gets it by default.

Also you are forgetting that the Chelsea team relies on a lot of foriegn players to make it succesful and without them they look ordinary.

Rubric

Part of the furniture
A fit Gerrard or Hargreaves over Lampard any day. J Cole aint bad either but not a automatic choice. Ashley Cole has been a big disappointment since he joined Chelsea for me, certainly not the player he was at Arsenal but given the lack of any real decent players at his postion he gets it by default.

Also you are forgetting that the Chelsea team relies on a lot of foriegn players to make it succesful and without them they look ordinary.

My point is that they are England players and they will be players that Mourinho will favour and they can play boring succesfull football.

I can't believe that people make out that we naturally play like the brazilians. We dont. We naturally play solid defensive long ball football so introducing an Italian coach or Mourinho is only going to benefit us.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
Totally agree with you Rubric, I duno where all these comments about England playing "exciting" football are coming from, and that someone like Mourinho will introduce boring game style. Lol all Mourinho will do is turn the current solid but boring play style of England into a solid winning playstyle. Who wants their national team to loose after all.

Marc

FH is my second home
I can't believe that people make out that we naturally play like the brazilians. We dont. We naturally play solid defensive long ball football so introducing an Italian coach or Mourinho is only going to benefit us.

Interesting statement. Can you elaborate? Do you mean the premiership naturally plays sold defensive football or us English people naturally want to play boring defensive football?

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Interesting statement. Can you elaborate? Do you mean the premiership naturally plays sold defensive football or us English people naturally want to play boring defensive football?

I think that to be a succesful team in the Premiership with English players in your side you need to play solid defensive football. Apart from Man U of course.

The fact is English players are not as technically gifted as some overseas nations. Therefore to succeed we adapt to a style of play that does not highlight our technical weakness.

Of course everyone aspires to play like the Arsenal but in reality we don't deal with our youngsters in the right way to create a crop of players capable of it.

Marc

FH is my second home
I think that to be a succesful team in the Premiership with English players in your side you need to play solid defensive football. Apart from Man U of course.

The fact is English players are not as technically gifted as some overseas nations. Therefore to succeed we adapt to a style of play that does not highlight our technical weakness.

Of course everyone aspires to play like the Arsenal but in reality we don't deal with our youngsters in the right way to create a crop of players capable of it.

Good post!

Simon Jordan hit the nail on the head. Why are brazilians so much more technically better than us? Their kids grow up playing football on crap council pitches, yet our youngsters have a decent game for their local under 8s and they are whisked away to state of the art training facilities, with the best coaches money can buy.

It doesnt make sense

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie
Good post!

Simon Jordan hit the nail on the head. Why are brazilians so much more technically better than us? Their kids grow up playing football on crap council pitches, yet our youngsters have a decent game for their local under 8s and they are whisked away to state of the art training facilities, with the best coaches money can buy.

It doesnt make sense

I dont think you can be trained to have a footballers mind tho, and England really lacks 'smart' players. You can have all the skill in the world, but if you dont know when to use it then it wont do you much good.

Think of Teddy Sheringham. He wasnt the quickest or the strongest, but he was smarter than everyone else on the field, which allowed him to play beyond his means. Same with Le Tisser, and of course the King (Berkamp!).

England really dont have many with "football" minds. They have bags of skill, pace and strength, but they are at a loss when plan A doesnt work. They dont seem to be able to adapt well when the game changes. And thats what they need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom