Fooking system restore

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
I was playing around with system restore, trying to get back to an earlier point and when it rebooted (as it says it must) the small window you get that flickers on for a second before the logon window appears ended up staying on the screen for about 2 minutes. (The one that says please wait, windows is loading...with the small orange/blue moving bar)

After a few minutes it prompted me for my logon, which I entered in, but instead of going into windows my background appeared but nothing else. After a while I got into windows, but there was no startbar, and the computer started asking me to insert discs with installers for drivers and such on them, as if all my hardware had been uninstalled.

I've tried rebooting and entering in safe mode, last known good, etc...but nothing seems to fix this.

Is there any way to get into system restore, without the start bar? I'm sort of at a loss here, I think something went tits up whilst system restoring. :|

I'm using windows XP pro by the way, with an AMD 64, 2gb of ram, radeon x800.

Basic summary

- Attempted a system restore
-System rebooted, had to wait 2 minutes for the user/password prompt. Was left watching the "please wait, Windows is loading" window for ages.
-Only background was visible for a few minutes, finally windows loads.
-No start bar (and unable to open or drag it into view) and prompted to install drivers for hardware, that were fine before
-After rebooting/attempting to start windows in safe mode or last known configuration, etc...get the same problems.

Chriiiiiiiiist

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
it may be so that explorer isn't starting properly. you could force this perhaps by, after you log in, pressing ctrl-alt-del > tasks > applications > new task, enter "explorer" and press enter.

might work.

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
TdC said:
it may be so that explorer isn't starting properly. you could force this perhaps by, after you log in, pressing ctrl-alt-del > tasks > applications > new task, enter "explorer" and press enter.

might work.

I'd tried that and it wasn't working. I've sorted it now. Basically I'd restored to a point where my computer was corrupted at the time, without realizing...so it all went mental. I reinstalled windows xp and it got corrupted as well. In the end I removed one of my hard drives, so I could install XP to a new hard drive, and now its alreet. :)

Chilly

Balls of steel
its not just explorer if its asking for hardware drivers. You are fucked, I rekon, just reinstall it properly and turn SR off, its a waste of hdd and do proper norton ghost backups :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom