Font Creation

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
I've been playing around with a couple of font creation tools, and to be honest... too much time wasted not knowing what I'm doing, reading help files and can't be arsed.

Anyone out there know of a real easy way to create fonts ideally for free, or with minimum monies spent??

Does anyone out there want to create a font for me if I send them the (very poor) scanned in pencil versions?

Anyone got any general advice? Like "Don't bother"?

I'm in need of getting them asap (in a perfect world before next weekend).

If there are any volunteers to do this, I promise a credit in the book!!

Cheers

from the lazy fat bloater.

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
Talyn said:
Don't bother.

Too much work when there's probably something suitable on the myriad of free font websites out there. Unless, unlike me, you have crazy madskills :(

Moo

Fledgling Freddie
id agree with trog, there's SO MANY fonts out there I can't really imagine wanting to make one since i'm almost garenteed to be able to find a free download one which suits the application.

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
This font has been created special for the RPG that I've written. There may well be a similar font available somewhere, but after a mornings play (while bored at work) I've not a found any that match it yet.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Ah just rip off lotr like any self respecting nerd with an RPG plan.

It'll fail anyway :D

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
I would rip off LotR if it were a fantasy rpg...

Although, thinking about it... wonder if George Lucas would be suing me...hmmm

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Why don't you post your pencil version on here? I'm sure someone could find you something appropriate in about five minutes.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
OK I kjnow nothing about this, but I found this which says that it can change scanned images into font outlines. Not sure if it'll help.

RB

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
DaGaffer said:
Why don't you post your pencil version on here? I'm sure someone could find you something appropriate in about five minutes.

I'd imagine you're right, but, not being the owner of the original, I'm not sure about the copyright issues, although, once it's been created, it's going to be available through the website so he won't have a choice in the matter.

Until then, I'll have to keep searching...

Rubber Bullets said:
OK I kjnow nothing about this, but I found this which says that it can change scanned images into font outlines. Not sure if it'll help.

I didn't see that one when looking about the other day, I'll havea read up...cheers.

EDIT: I did try this one and it seems ok, but the scans aren't up to the job as the pencil is quite faint. I gave up when I realised I need basic photoshop type skills to go over the outlines of each and every letter to blacken them up. And not owning the original copies (they are currently residing somewhere in the US) I can't even rescan them.

Stuff it, I'll hassel the guy who created it and tell him to do a better job...

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Why rescan, just play with levels/contrast/curves in photoshop and they'll be dark on white in no time at all.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Babs is right, this is very basic photoshop skills. I could do it for you if you like.

PM?

RB

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
I agree, but my Photyshopping skills are about as on par as those reject singer from X-factor or whatever it's called.

RB, check your PM's.

Cheers folksies

Mofo8

Fledgling Freddie
Try going to http://www.identifont.com/identify.html and describing the characteristics of the typeface. You might get something close enough. Then you'd just need to see if it was going to cost you or if there was a free version about.

Made up a font once using my own handwriting (neat). Looked damn good.

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
Cool webbie!! Unfortunately, the final choice (in fact the last 3 options) didn't match up close enough.

But, it is bookmarked now, for future useage!

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
I am on it Talyn, but you were right the pencil is very faint.

When do you need it by?

RB

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
Sooner the better to be honest, no major rush. I'm off to Oz on the 11th, and it would be nice to have them on the USB stick for then (I can work on the Font creator program while out there).

So about 2 weeks max if that's ok? Any earlier is a bonus!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom