Help Folder Renamer?

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Hi luvs, I have a hard drive with a lot of music on it. What I want to do is rename all the folders (not the files within the folders) with the correct artist and album name. I do have Tag & Rename but this seems to only rename the files within each folder rather than the folder name itself.

Is there anyway I can do this other than sitting down and ploughing through each folder and renaming it manually? Is there any other renaming program that will enable me to do this?

Thanks in advance.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Tag & Rename does it, I think. Renaming files.

Otherwise, Mp3tag will do it for you. When you go to "convert" > "tag - filename" and then make your mask, if you put \something\ before your mask it will make a folder and move the file into it.

Like:
Code:
C:\_music\%artist% - %album%\$replace($lower($num(%track%,2)-%artist%-%title%), ,_)

If you don't put a whole path in (like C:\_music) and just put one folder in, like:
Code:
\%artist% - %album%\$replace($lower($num(%track%,2)-%artist%-%title%), ,_)
then it will put the folder in the root of the drive.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
If not, Captain Picard to the rescue.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I've never managed to understand Picard. it just doesn't seem to do anything :(

Trem

Tag & Rename does it, I think. Renaming files.

Otherwise, Mp3tag will do it for you. When you go to "convert" > "tag - filename" and then make your mask, if you put \something\ before your mask it will make a folder and move the file into it.

Like:
Code:
C:\_music\%artist% - %album%\$replace($lower($num(%track%,2)-%artist%-%title%), ,_)

If you don't put a whole path in (like C:\_music) and just put one folder in, like:
Code:
\%artist% - %album%\$replace($lower($num(%track%,2)-%artist%-%title%), ,_)
then it will put the folder in the root of the drive.

Oh god that looks complicated :(

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It's not I promise it's just me being a bit OCD with how I rename all my mp3s. :$

Without all the formatting crap it's just:
Code:
C:\_music\%artist% - %album%\%track% - %artist% - %title%

Trem

So on your line where it says C: I just change that to the drive letter of my external then enter that line you posted Callington?

Maybe I am just too thick to do this :(

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yep, where do you want to put your mp3s? "C:" is the drive letter. If you want all your mp3 folders to be in a folder called "_music" on your C drive then put what I put, if you want them to be somewhere else then either change the drive letter or the "_music" folder (you can have more than 1 folder if you want).

You can always hit preview in the dialog box to make sure it's going to work (and it does a live preview of the file you have selected as well, as you're changing the tag).

Trem

Couldn't even get the mask editor option to show up Cal, was just greyed out.

:(

I did sort it in Tag & Rename but its almost as much of a ball ache as doing it manually. Was hoping I could highlight a shitload of folders then just click on rename, what I actually have to do is select each folder then click rename, it then moves me to where in the tree the new folder has gone to so then I have to trawl back through all the folders to find my place again.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Trem, if this is really giving you that much hastle, install iTunes and tell it to manage your library.

Trem

Trem, if this is really giving you that much hastle, install iTunes and tell it to manage your library.

Oh god, iTunes? Really?

If I did that what would it do luv?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Moves everything around based upon the names/tags in the files themselves.

So if you've got everything properly tagged it should move it as you want it.

I'd suggest (like all these things) you give it a try on a spare copy selection of your library to start, to see how it does and if you like it.

If you don't want to install all that apple software, try Songbird

4.2 Importing & Managing Your Music - Songbird Wiki

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
You have to select the files you want to apply the conversion to before it will be active on the menu.

Goto File > Change Directory and find the folder that contains the albums then open that up and select everything and *then* goto Convert > Tag - Filename. Then add the mask ( "\%artist% - %album%\%track% - %artist% - %title%" without the "'s ) and then you can hit preview if you want just to make sure it does everything as it's supposed to. This will show you all the changes that would be made if you went ahead with it but it won't actually make any changes until you click ok.

You better not install iTunes. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom