Flatscreens - TFT/LCD

Chilly

Balls of steel
I have a fairly old Dell Inspiron 8200 - the shiznit of its day - 2 years ago. Its got a LCD/TFT (i dont know which and i dont evne know the difference really) that is almost exactly the same size as a standard "17 CRT in terms of square cm age you get not silly diagonal measurements using fathoms and 5th dimensional toroidal rulers.

It can run quite happily at 1600x1200 resolution. What i dont understand is that to get the same size/resolution in a modern flatpanel screen you need to pay ridiculous money and i cannot find, anywhere, a 17" CRT equiv size 1600x1200 flatpanel like the one on my laptop.

Surely if they cna afford to bung one on a laptop that cost £2300 at the time (was a nearly maxed out inspiron) they must be available SOMEWHERE to buy as a stand alone device?

If i am missing something fundamental or im plain blind someone please correct me, but I'm getting fucked off that I cant get a flatpanel for my new PC to run with the same resolution and refresh as a 2 year old laptop screen!!!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Pixels are a finite size. Therefore, for higher resolutions, you need either more of them (which takes up more space), or smaller pixels.

Perhaps your monitor isn't really running at that resolution (its faking it?).

Or perhaps I'm just talking absolute bollards. Which wouldn't be unusual.

Chilly

Balls of steel
im fairly sure my laptop isnt faking it, although without a microscope or a very good hand lens there is no real way to tell i suppose - it makes things smaller in 1600x1200 than in lesser resolutions and something that is 800x600 window size runs in a smaller window on this than on my PC which runs at 12xx x 1024 - I need lots of space, and no monitor for under a grand can give me it as well as my laptop monitor can!

Is there a way to detach a laptop monitor and attatch some sort of standard interface to it so I can plug it into my PC? :D

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
I thougtht that most laptops have a VGA out port on the back?

Chilly

Balls of steel
it does have a vga port, but i do indeed need an input not an output. QQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom