"flat" graphics in TG with Win7 + GeForce

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
Got something that's a bit odd. Tuscaren Glacier, the Mid Epic dungeon, is basically a giant ice maze. Usually it's sparkly-bright, lots of reflections, different levels of see-through ... well, like you'd imagine an ice-maze to be.

Now on my main PC with it's GeForce 8800GTX it all looks flat. It's all just blue and white textures. Nothing sparkly-ice-like at all.

Tried the built-in drivers from Win7 (64-bit), tried the nVidia drivers (1.95 iirc), doesn't change a thing. Toyed around with the settings, nothing.

On my old notebook with it's 5+ year old Radeon X200 mobile whatever, it's all there, all the shiny ice.

But the funniest bit is, if I run DAoC in a Virtual Machine (VMWare) it got all the shiny graphics.

Anyone got an idea what's up with that?

Nate

FH is my second home
I remember old clients used to not do the reflective stuff, dunno if they are still run on the game or anything. You running an up to date client?

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
LotM client. Water is reflective, haven't noticed anything in other zones, it's just TG.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Sounds like the machines are using a different DirectX to render the game. See if you can install some older directX files on your new machine. Then again it's just a guess.

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
re-installed DirectX 9.0c, no change.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Did you try the full package (directx_aug2009_redist.exe i think) with the older directX files aswell? Not that it really should matter tbh, DAoC runs on directX 9.0.

There whas differences in rendering (24bit vs 16bit) between ATI en nVidia, but once again it really shouldnt make a difference (that large). I take it you run the VMWare on the computer with the 8800GTX? If so, do you also run it with Win7?

LotM client. Water is reflective, haven't noticed anything in other zones, it's just TG.

The old machine also uses the LotM client?

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
the VM runs on XP. Clients are all the same, just copied to different folders.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
So same clients, machines with Xp have the shiny graphics, the machine with Win7 has not. The only thing i can think of is installing the complete directX9 history on your Win7 computer, not just 9.0c.

Come to think of it, you could try to run it in compatibility mode(sp?) and select Windows Xp with SP3 (rightclick DAoC.exe - proportions - compatibility).

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
will try that. With a new gfx card. The card died today ;)

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
more likely a shortcircuit when my watercooling broke down ;)

That thread is awesome!

Me being a genius, decided to wash my old 6800 GT with hot water once koz the fan and sink were too dusty to try to clean otherwise. Needless to say, the card wouldn't work afterwards, even after 20 mins with my hairdryer. I had never heard of that trick then, but desperate to get it back I tossed it in the oven too. MIRACLE!

It's still running strong ( I sold the whole PC to a friend)

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
replaced the card anyway. Now I got all my shiny ice back :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom