fish:<

cazno

Fledgling Freddie
I cant seem to find how many fish species there is in the world, doing some small project about fish lol=)

anyone know how many species of fish there is in the world, and other intressting facts maybe? :p

Chronictank

FH is my second home
was that a direct link or a link to that page? think i maybe need to be registred or so ?

works for me and i'm not registered :S

http://www.nature.com said:
Marine survey sees net gain in number of fish species

Betsy Mason, Washington
Marine survey sees net gain in number of fish species

B. ESCHMEYER & J. E. RANDALL

Count me in: a new species of scorpionfish joins over 15,000 fish already identified.

There are some 20,000 different species of fish in the world's seas and oceans, about a quarter of which are still to be discovered and classified, says the first report of a census of marine life.

More than 300 scientists from 53 countries are working on the Census of Marine Life (COML), a ten-year, $1-billion project due to be completed in 2010. Some 210,000 species of marine life have already been documented by the project, and more than 2 million are likely to be recorded eventually.

"New species are being discovered at the rate of about three a week," says Ron O'Dor of Dalhousie University, Canada, senior scientist for the COML. "Most of these species are coming from areas that haven't previously been explored."

The initiative is benefiting from technologies that allow scientists to explore new places and to see tiny or evasive creatures for the first time. "Every time a new technology is developed or an existing technology is refined, it opens up a new window on the ocean," says David Farmer of the University of Rhode Island, COML's lead scientist for technology.

The development of remotely operated submarines allows scientists to explore deeper and colder waters, such as the polar oceans and the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, and better sonar helps them to locate, track and even identify different fish species. The scientists are also using computer chips as electronic fish tags to track the movement of fish and record information such as heart rate and temperature.

In addition, researchers are using short sequences of DNA to help identify and catalogue species, particularly smaller ones such as plankton. "We hope that part of the census will include a DNA barcode for each new species," says Jesse Ausubel of Rockefeller University in New York. "This is something that would have been impossible just five years ago."

For reference if you need to quote it

Journal home > Archive > News > Full Text
News

Nature 425, 889 (30 October 2003)

Full text pdf link to whole article
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v425/n6961/pdf/425889b.pdf

Solo

Fledgling Freddie

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Are you accessing it from uni network?- Doesn't work here either :p

And I think that maybe a little advanced judging by the style of the question.

ah my bad, yeah completely forgot about that
If you want the pdf give me a prod and i'll upload it somewhere for you

cazno

Fledgling Freddie
ah my bad, yeah completely forgot about that
If you want the pdf give me a prod and i'll upload it somewhere for you

Hhehe, nah it's okey mate - thanks for doing the work:) I think I'll use wikipedia for the rest of my work, was lots of easy facts there.. will be writing alittle about the "basking shark" got a story from a few years ago with my dad and I fishing one of those!:> so I think that'll be good.. :p

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Hhehe, nah it's okey mate - thanks for doing the work:) I think I'll use wikipedia for the rest of my work, was lots of easy facts there.. will be writing alittle about the "basking shark" got a story from a few years ago with my dad and I fishing one of those!:> so I think that'll be good.. :p

just a warning that some institutions dont like the use of wikipedia in your work. it can be edited by anyone, for example people like thadius. so not everything can be trusted.

Serbitar

Fledgling Freddie
fact:

cabbages are in no way related to fish

except for the endangered 'swimming vampire cabbage of upper-mongolia' of which there is only 3 left alive in the wild. unfortunately all 3 of these specimens are male so unless someone develops a sex-change operation for amphibious cabbage within the next few years - which is relatively unlikely - then this unfortunate species will finally die out on this planet.

On the plus side, they do taste rather good in a salad

Ezteq

Queen of OT
rofl serb.

Arn't there certain birds or possibly even mammals that are classed as fish to get around religious food laws?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom