First Time Insurance Costs..

Alliandre

Fledgling Freddie
It's bloody ridiculous. I put myself down for a Nova 1.2, 1989. It gives me the cheapest quote at £950.

I put my name down for a Rover 414 SLi and it comes back at £1450 at the cheapest. I put my Mum down as first name driver and put my name down as second name driver, it comes back at £523.

I need sensible insurance. I'm not a bloody chav driver. I've been driving for almost a year in my Mum and brothers car with second name insurance. I haven't had any accidents or claims to make.

Can anyone recommend any good first time cars that might actually get me reasonable insurance costs back? And could anyone recommend any other sites for a 17 year old driver other than http://www.confused.com or http://www.autotrader.co.uk? I have to travel 34 miles 4 days a week to college there and back, so it needs to be reliable. It also needs to have low fuel consumption.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
You're 17, that's the problem.

Insurance for a skateboard is going to cost a f'cking fortune. I can't suggest what to do because i simply couldn't afford a car until I was 21 and even then my shite heap of a Fiesta 1.1 cost £800 fully comp (the car was worth about £200). Some places quoted me £1500.

You could try Admiral, Directline or Elephant - they've all give me good quotes in different circumstances in the past.

Failing that, insure the nova third party only. If you crump the car or it gets nicked, fuck it; don't tell the insurers and bin the car - will be cheaper in the long run.

Car insurance has to be one of the biggest scandals/rip-offs ever known to man.

Edit: no offence mate, but get back to reality. I actually re-read your post and saw "17 year old student, wants cake and to eat it, also doesn't want to pay for it". You're fresh out of school, not even working and expect to buy a reliable car and insure it cheaply? You need to get a sense of perspective and maybe accept you can't afford it? If you can't afford to insure the car, you can't afford the car.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You're going to have to swallow it. Insurance for young guys like yourself is expensive for a reason. Thats not to say you take risks, but others do, and regardless of how good/bad you might be any reasonable business will presume you're inexperienced, and therefore more likely to cost them money.

Get a moped instead tbh.

Have you tried classic car insurance instead, on a limited mileage policy?

Padwah

Fledgling Freddie
Most classic car insurance policies require that its a second car or you're over 25 so I doubt that will give him much advantage. A limited mileage policy could bring the cost down but then, obviously, you're limited as to how much you can drive your car. Unfortunately as a new young driver there's no simple way of bringing your insurance down other than not having the insurance in your name. Either take Toms suggestion of riding a moped to get your no claims up or have your Mum/Dad/Brother as the named driver and ignore the no-claims bonus until you can actually afford some insurance with you as the main driver.

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Nova bwahahahahahahahahaha....sorry

Its because your male aged 17-21, and a nova is one of the more modded cars

Lop your bollocks off and give diamond a call :p

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Dont ever use online insurance quotes, always ring the companys. After all, you cant have a deal with a computer can you?
Oh, and dont buy a Nova either, thats asking for trouble. Get something else :)

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
try a Citroen Saxo (got one in me drive that might be up for sale)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
rofl - you don wan a saxo. get youself a wikkid Swift, they have 17bhp and r lik shit off a shovel m8 + you can max it up with an ally wing i got for sale

kingcon

Fledgling Freddie
Toyota Yaris, won best small car of the year like 3 times in a row i hear have a peek at that.

Im 20 and currently looking for insurance (just passed my test last week) only problem is the car im trying to get on is a 1.8 VW passat! £60 a month itd cost me. The guys are rite, gotta be realistic (me kicks passat and is looking for a much smaller tinny auto)

Alliandre

Fledgling Freddie
I work two days a week and will be earning £75 a week when I turn 18. That's only June 5th.

The Nova was just an example of a small engine car :p

My Dad's said he'll buy the car. I just need to be able to afford the insurance and running costs.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
What about an original mini? Cool as fuck and cheap too.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
I think I said in another thread I've always paid a grand a year for insurance since I was 17, I'm 30 very very soon now :(

The cars have just got quicker as I've got older.

You'll have to suck it up and pay it I'm afraid, pain in the arse but there you go. Shop around and you'll save a few quid, but it is going to be expensive no matter what.

My second car was a mini, I learnt so much and they are cracking little cars. I'm told they are about the only regular car who's value is actually going up now, so you can use that line on your Dad as you persuade him to buy you one.

inqy

One of Freddy's beloved
This is why I chose a mini as my 1st car too @ 17 :). Crikey that was 11 years ago. Drove that for a couple of years accident/claim free and got a mediocre Ford Orion. Never really been stung.

I did look at a Peugeot 106 Rally Sport, 2yrs old. Was expensive enough on it's own, saw the insurance and didn't bother, this was when I was 21 and had 4 yrs no claims! Oh well! :)

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Girl OMFGGGGG a/l? :p

I only passed my test last year and my insurance cost £1260 I am 27. Shit happens I guess you gotta bite the bullet someday.

mank!

Part of the furniture
my insurance has started to go down, i got a quote of just under £550 on a pug 206 2.0 diesel turbo, considering i'm 20 that's not bad. got 2 years ncb as a named driver though which helps a lot.

just need to sell the house so i can get a new car >:-(

inqy

One of Freddy's beloved
insurance is a big shagging swindle tho, forgot to say that. anyone seen "The man who sued god?". Saw it recently, funny stuff :)

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
I'm insured on my bird's 1.2 Renault Clio (not gay) for £59. (Can't even remember who this is with)
I'm also insured on my dad's BMW 328i for £400. Churchill WIN.

I was going to get my own car, but tbh, I didn't really need to. The 328i is tres nice. :)

Mofo8

Fledgling Freddie
It seems to be a mixture of age + experience (and the 2 and commonly linked).

However I only passed a year and a half ago and I'm 36. I'm paying £77 a month. I expect mine will come down a bit quicker than the younger guys though. I've only written off one car since I passed and didn't claim on it :)

Damini

Part of the furniture
Can't you pay out for the advanced test still, and use that to reduce your insurance?

Wij

I am a FH squatter
mank said:
a girl, eh?

WIIIIIIIJ!

Ooops - sorry. Sooooo late these days.

*ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip*

Now what am I supposed to do with this baby-panda-type thing ?

*fap*

mank!

Part of the furniture
Damini said:
Can't you pay out for the advanced test still, and use that to reduce your insurance?

passplus? that does fuck all

you have to be over 25 to join the advanced motorists thingy i think

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Damini said:

Doesn't really work, I'm qualified through the IAM but the companies that offer a discount tend to charge more in the first place. Shame really, but meh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom