First homebrew code running on retail xbox360

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well...hopefully now all those f*cking homecoders will shut up about "I'd do it a gazillion times better then those guys did at that professional gaming company".

Well....go ahead :D

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
Whilst this is great, it wont lead to much as the hypervisor has been patched and most 360's are patched for this problem.

You can do so much more homebrew with the ps3. For shits sake you can install linux and vlc media player = HD media centre box for £425 that also plays games...

Bargain really - Try find another media centre system for £425 that has a blu ray drive and 7 cores :p

Shame it took people 18 months to find this hole really :/ On the plus side it shows how much more secure MS are in consoles than other vendors. (In terms of homebrew, not pirate games)

Fenderon

Can't get enough of FH
Whilst this is great, it wont lead to much as the hypervisor has been patched and most 360's are patched for this problem.

Yep, patcher for -that- bug :) However many of the hackers does have a version they can exploit.. this might give them a pretty good chance at poking around and finding other bugs, that are still present.

while it is true that the ps3 comes with support for linux, you wont have access to the 3d hardware, so it's still somewhat limited.

Hopefully .. by time.. the 360 will be as open as the xbox1 is now :) Some great non-pirate things have been done with the old one, the same should be possible for the new one too :)

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
Yep, patcher for -that- bug :) However many of the hackers does have a version they can exploit.. this might give them a pretty good chance at poking around and finding other bugs, that are still present.

while it is true that the ps3 comes with support for linux, you wont have access to the 3d hardware, so it's still somewhat limited.

Hopefully .. by time.. the 360 will be as open as the xbox1 is now :) Some great non-pirate things have been done with the old one, the same should be possible for the new one too :)

Yeah xbox media center rocks. No other console is quite as good as the original xbox for that purpose though the ps3 comes close.

With the ps3 in linux the hypervisor restricts access to the RSX (half the ram + the gpu) [edit: read: you cannot access the rsx, not you can.] however the 4 SPE's you have access to are capable of running 3 1080i media files at once with no problem. Obviously in reality nobody could ever have a use for this, but it looks cool and shows potential.

If homebrewers get access to all 3 of the 360's cores and each hardware thread (6 in total) then potentially we're looking at even more power, but we'll have to wait and see. A software downgrade for the 360 isn't possible afaik.

Fenderon

Can't get enough of FH
A software downgrade for the 360 isn't possible afaik.

true.

If you have the new kernel version an efuse has been blown and downgrade is atm not possible :) I'm in no rush though, still got the old xbox1 doing its job and some of the games for the 360 are pretty fun.

It would be nice to the games up to a harddrive though, the dvd-rom is awfully noisy.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter

Shame it took people 18 months to find this hole really :/ On the plus side it shows how much more secure MS are in consoles than other vendors. (In terms of homebrew, not pirate games)

Yep but the hackers now have machines that have top level priviledges that bypass hypervisor. They will use this opening to probe for other bugs or weaknesses in the security system. So whilst this bug is of no use to the normal 360 owner it may well open up other avenues in which homebrew can be run, it is an important first step on the road but nothing more.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Yep but the hackers now have machines that have top level priviledges that bypass hypervisor. They will use this opening to probe for other bugs or weaknesses in the security system. So whilst this bug is of no use to the normal 360 owner it may well open up other avenues in which homebrew can be run, it is an important first step on the road but nothing more.

welcome back \o>
hows the blood pressure?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
welcome back \o>
hows the blood pressure?

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Doing good, lost 8lb so far and the medication has got the blood pressure down to 128/85 or something like that, very close to normal. Having a battery of checks at the hospital on the 21st March and I should know more then. Right now it is looking very positive and I am feeling much better thanks to the medication and alot of exercising. :)

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Doing good, lost 8lb so far and the medication has got the blood pressure down to 128/85 or something like that, very close to normal. Having a battery of checks at the hospital on the 21st March and I should know more then. Right now it is looking very positive and I am feeling much better thanks to the medication and alot of exercising. :)

Good news cho :) Glad you're feeling much better. Welcome back to the console wars <333

Amildin

Can't get enough of FH
I understood 3 words in this thread, ps3, xbox 360 and homebrew (although very doubtful i have the right meaning). Im such a crap nerd :(

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
I understood 3 words in this thread, ps3, xbox 360 and homebrew (although very doubtful i have the right meaning). Im such a crap nerd :(

I think it's about homegrown coffee...

or beer.

Just not and say yes a lot.

*nods* Yes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom