First Car... and Insurance

Varna

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Guys/Gals,

I'm after some advice on buying a new car, I got my test in 2 weeks and I'm certain I'll pass, and I'll want to get driving ASAP..

So, I been looking at cars anyway and cos I'm learning with BSM i'm looking at small cars like the one im learning in (Corsa), so cars like that and fiesta's, 206's etc.. but I think i'll go with a fiesta eventually cos of the look and reviews on whatcar.com (I have no idea about cars whatsoever), and my budget is 1500 cos I been working hard lately and saved up for it, but here comes my problem.. insurance, my god! I looked on confused.com and I had a minimum quote of 1200 with M&S and the car is a Fiesta 3dr 1299 cc 1998 (£1395).. it's crazy, they (dvla) making tests harder and with lessons being around 45 for a 2 hour lesson, it's neither easy or cheap...

Anyone have advice on first time buying?

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
Im also thinking about buying my first car, only thing that really keeps me back is the bloody Insurance .

Duno if this works in the uk , but here in denmark you can buy a car and have it put it in your parrents name and you will save alot.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Im also thinking about buying my first car, only thing that really keeps me back is the bloody Insurance .

Duno if this works in the uk , but here in denmark you can buy a car and have it put it in your parrents name and you will save alot.

you can do that in the uk also. i do it now and im 21 :p

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
i've been so lucky, i havent had to buy my first car yet. I still drive a company car i got 2 hours after passing my test :)

None for having to pay for the car/tax/mot/petrol myself

soze

I am a FH squatter
Only advice is do as suggested ask someone with a clean record to be the main driver but then go to a company like directline who give named drivers no claims. Then you will be earning no claims and saving a fortune. I do this with my car and even after 4 years its cheaper to pay for me and my Dad than just me should change this year as im 25 and that means im a safe driver :confused:

Mephz

Banned
Go with E-Car it's cheaper then going with parents otherwise you don't get no claims on the cheap parents one, look at Peugeot 106s/fiestas/clios/corsas if you’re on a tight budget.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
buy a 2CV and have a sex change and u'l have dirt cheap insurance :)

seriously, you will :)

saw on some motor program (Vroom Vroom) that had some "study" about that and compared from a male having ANY car a female in a 2CV will pay pretty much nothing ;)

if a sex change isnt what you fancy, write the car on your parents or take that followup safer driving test or whatever its called to drop it down a tad more.

and CALL AROUND. dont just look a the prices on the internet as most insurance companies are quite happy to lower the price a few if you call and ask. and dont stop after just a few. call every one of them and compare prices.

and if u've done a folowup test about safer driving thats a pretty good argument for them to lower the price to.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Go with E-Car it's cheaper then going with parents otherwise you don't get no claims on the cheap parents one, look at Peugeot 106s/fiestas/clios/corsas if you’re on a tight budget.

Direct Line give all named drivers No Claims and there are alot more companys that offer the same now if you look around.

Varna

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah my hearts set on a fiesta which I'm now certain about, unless a nice blue corsa pops up at a decent price! Anyhow, I can't do the parents insurance thing :( also i'm 23 (forgot to mention) - eCar are they any good?

Ezteq

Queen of OT
i can offer you absolutely no advice whatsoever cos im a lousy good for nothing pedestrian, but just wanted to say good luck for your test!

Varna

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks dude, I feel really confident about it :D

Mephz

Banned
Direct Line give all named drivers No Claims and there are alot more companys that offer the same now if you look around.
DL are more exp because of that, E-Car will give you a better deal.

eksdee

FH is my second home
i think being a named driver is a false economcy tbh! you will just end up paying more, for longer when you get your own insurance. had my own insurance since i was 17. also, take the pass plus. yes, it is more money and time on lessons. it does however litterally halve your insurance. it did for me at least. the extra driving experience - like driving in adverse weather and motorway driving etc. is imo really usefull to new drivers.

when buying a car, take a friend/family member who knows about cars because people WILL try and rip you off. you should always test drive it and go somewhere quiet, pop the bonnet and take a look for yourself. buying cars second hand can be a real trial.

good luck with your test!

Dukat

Resident Freddy
I hate the idea of having to get a car, insurance seems very pricey, as does petrol and all of the guff you have to sort out. for my bike it was pretty simple, doesnt seem like it will be as easy for a car, so I keep putting it off, much prefer riding everywhere anyway!!

eksdee

FH is my second home
yeah, if i lived in a city i wouldn't bother with a car. had my rover 212 since i was 17 (turn 21 next week) and filling up the tank used to cost me about £28 when i first got it. can now fit nearly £38 if it is nearly bone dry!

Dukat

Resident Freddy
yeah, if i lived in a city i wouldn't bother with a car. had my rover 212 since i was 17 (turn 21 next week) and filling up the tank used to cost me about £28 when i first got it. can now fit nearly £38 if it is nearly bone dry!

holy s***, thats mental!

I put £5 in my bike last week, its still half full! I dont understand how people can afford to run the bloody things, insurance is possibly a bit better than on my bike, but tbh my bike isnt exactly expensive at all.

I think I might be tempted to just get my car licence and then hire one out for a day if I ever need to move something big that I cant fit on my bike. until I have enough money to just throw away I just cant see the point in a car :(

Varna

Fledgling Freddie
Done some re-checking and used moneysupermarket, got it to about £920 which is ok i suppose, could get it for less i bet if i did the pass safe thingy.

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
For your first car you want it small, relatively unpowered and cheap to run (petrol prices set to rise again).

I would suggest a Toyota Aygo, second hand if you can get it. Their only 3 cylinders, max speed of about 80 and are about as modifiable as cow shit. The limit is alloy wheels and a bigger radio i think.

Insurance companies love 'em, no racer boy would be caught dead in one, so anyone who does drive one is a safe bet. Insurance is the cheapest on a road car you can get.

Varna

Fledgling Freddie
Had a look for them Binky, they look expensive 2nd hand - I've seen alot of fiesta's for around 1k with 60k on em, that plus 900 or so insurance would be ok for me to spend, kinda set on fiesta's - but yeah the aygo does look like a good option, if only it were cheaper :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom