First an earthquake now a hurricane.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
I've had to go out today and buy all sorts for this bloody hurricane that's about to hit. I spent half the day trying to find any place that had any torches left. Finally found one and have also had to buy bottled water and a bunch of food that doesn't need to be cooked. As well as a load of candles and matches. Humbug.

If I miss the United game on Sunday because the power is out so help me.... I'll do something drastic!

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Will the hurricane hit as far inland as Washington? (Not followed the news so am interested).

If it will, stay safe and I hope all goes ok for you.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
Well when the news of Irene first came I just brushed it off as they rarely manifest as anything more than a bit of heavy rain this far inland but the news is saying it will and Washington has issued a hurricane warning and started taking preventative measures so I'm buying into it and getting prepared. I'd rather have done the getting ready and not need it than the other way around!

Corran

Part of the furniture
Well best of luck Cerb, hope all goes ok and that you get to watch the Utd match :D

Water is never something that have to worry about in my home... Tesco guy almost had a heart attack today after delivering 75 - 80 2L bottles of water. Lol. Is a rare day when there is no bottled water. heh!

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
Well I bought 2 Torches, 16 double A batterys, 1000 matches, 50 tealight candles, 1 gallon of water, a few cans of tuna, a jar of peanut butter a loaf of bread, a gallon of milk, and I also filled every empty jug and bottle in the apartment with water.

The person I really feel for is my missus. She's a nurse at georgetown hospital here and is scheduled to work Sunday and Monday from 7 am to 7pm. If the storm hits on sunday the way they are saying it will, there is a very real chance she is going to be stuck working from 7am Sunday morning to 7pm monday night!:(

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I hope you've insured your candles against fire damage

rynnor

Rockhound
Water is never something that have to worry about in my home... Tesco guy almost had a heart attack today after delivering 75 - 80 2L bottles of water.

Are you not connected to the mains then?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
our tap water tastes like cack...I'd sooner drink an elephant's bath water

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Hope you are ok. Raining hard here too, had to close the window ffs!

Corran

Part of the furniture
Are you not connected to the mains then?

I am connected to the mains, but I do not like the taste of the water in my region now. They changed something about their purifying method that makes it taste shite.

So use tap water for hot drinks and cooking... and bottled water for drinking. Just is a struggle to carry water up the steps nowdays for me with current health and so bulk order it as get through 3+ bottles a day in general.

rynnor

Rockhound
So use tap water for hot drinks and cooking... and bottled water for drinking. Just is a struggle to carry water up the steps nowdays for me with current health and so bulk order it as get through 3+ bottles a day in general.

Ahh - that makes sense - I was just picturing you out in the sticks somewhere :)

We stayed at a place in Shropshire last week that had its water from a borehole where it tasted like crap so I was thinking of that.

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
does make me wonder if japanese Fb users are posting stuff...

you know like those collages on the tsunami thread.

i'd chance my arm and aying they arent thinking of this as karmas revenge.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Cerb, don't take chances. You *WILL* be getting substantial storm weather, even inland where you are. Remember that the winds circle anticlockwise so the wind will be coming in from the E then NE and driving rain ahead of it. It may not be the killer weather other places will be getting but it'll be bad enough to take precautions.

I've got extended family living in Virginia Beach and the centre track of the hurricane will be passing a few miles offshore from where they are. They're close enough that they might get the edge of the eye passing over them during Saturday/Sunday night, which also means they'll get the full force of the storm as it passes. In their words,
We've got 8 bottles of propane for our camp stove, which we always have ready because we always lose power in big hurricanes. Big ice chest, 10 gals of h2o in case city water supply is compromised...
One of my "cousins" has a bait and tackle business which he's boarded up and moved in a generator to keep the freezer and live bait tanks going. They're not evacuating because they've boarded up the windows and don't want to leave their home, but also because,
We finally heard a public official finally admit what we've known for years: its impossible to physically evacuate the entire population of VB.

I'm not the praying kind, but I'd appreciate it if you could all spare a thought for my family and all the other families who could be in harm's way in the next couple of days.

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
It's supposed to hit Maine, too. I'm actually a bit scared. :(
Power will be out = no internets. The drama. What am I going to do?

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'm not the praying kind either, but I hope you all stay safe :)

Corran

Part of the furniture
Ahh - that makes sense - I was just picturing you out in the sticks somewhere :)

We stayed at a place in Shropshire last week that had its water from a borehole where it tasted like crap so I was thinking of that.

close enough to the sticks. lol.
Im in a small town/village but close enough to major places (30mins glasgow, 40mins or less Stirling etc). So much in the sticks my internet choices are extremely limited, lol.. cable? never heard of it. heh. But cant complain, least I can get 7mb out my line when some people cant even get 1mb!

Guess Im just picky though in what I like. Costs enough in water but rather enjoy water and drink it then dehydrate self :D

back on topic.
Dont do praying type stuff, but thoughts always with people in america with such weather. Especially when half the structures seem more suitably classed as a temperory structure that gets ripped apart :(

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Supposedly going to be lots of flooding where I am living at the moment, mainly due to rain. Also expecting to have no power for a few days, so have water, booze and dry food.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Natural disasters always impress me, naturally it is a shame it tends to kill and injury people.

Helme

Resident Freddy
These things are becoming a regular occurrence now, and that is kind of scary tbh. I hope the death-toll ends up as low as possible, but I'm sure it won't because there's probably very little preparation done for things like this.

I am curious though what the people who said the tsunami in Japan was God's payback for Pearl Harbour are saying now.

Amphrax

Part of the furniture
I heard on the news that H I is approx 400 miles wide... is that correct?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Power will be out = no internets. The drama. What am I going to do?

Play with the xbox!

You'd be surprised how often that thought crosses the mind on a powerout :p

Good, well, luck i guess to all. Keep frosty, eyes and ears open and don't do stupid shit.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
just heard on the radio its been downgraded to a cat 1

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Are you alright mate? I'm starting to get a bit nervous :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom