Firewall advice need please

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Ok, Zonealarm has pissed me off for the last time, the sheer amount of crashes the TrueVector service was causing finally killed my love for Zonealarm. I have spent a good part of the day looking around for a decent personal software firewall solution and it doesn't seem to be an easy choice to be honest. I have downloaded the free trial of Sunbelt Personal Firewall and it seems pretty decent but a few friends have told me to ditch it and either get Kerio Winroute Firewall or Tiny Personal Firewall. So basically I need some advice on which if any of the above is worth buying, if none then any alternative suggestions would be welcome as well.

Before someone mentions using a hardware firewall I should mention that my ADSL Router has an S.P.I. firewall apparently but I really what some kind of application level software firewall running as well just to be on the safe side. Before I finish I should point out that I use Utorrent P2P software alot so I really need something that works well with Utorrent on both UDP and TCP.

My O/S is XP Pro SP2 32-bit.

Many thanks.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I went thru the whole process about 18 months ago. Call me paranoid but I just cant stomach the thought of being compromised so I have 3 firewalls protecting my home network.

The first is on my cisco router which runs a dynamic firewall feature. 90% of all ports inbound are blocked, and whenever I initiate a connection outbound the Cisco will generate a rule to allow the traffic back in, if the rule is not matched after 2 minutes it is removed.

Next on the list is my linux router/storage box. This runs netfilter and again denys all but allows out.

Now, I also run a wireless network and therefore decided I needed a firewall on my pc holding all my personal data (which is stored in a bestcrypt container). I looked around and decided on Agnitum Outpost firewall.

Version 2.5 of the product was awesome, then 3 came along with bloatware and now we are version 4. Some of the features you can turn off by unloading the "plugin". I find it rock solid, it captures outbound connections from my pc and alerts etc.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Now, I also run a wireless network and therefore decided I needed a firewall on my pc holding all my personal data (which is stored in a bestcrypt container). I looked around and decided on Agnitum Outpost firewall.

Version 2.5 of the product was awesome, then 3 came along with bloatware and now we are version 4. Some of the features you can turn off by unloading the "plugin". I find it rock solid, it captures outbound connections from my pc and alerts etc.

Thanks for the heads up, I will be looking into Agnitum Outpost Firewall tomorrow.

My main worry is not knowing if my routers firewall is decent or not, the router is just a soho piece of kit and although an S.P.I. firewall is supposed to decent there just isn't enough information on my router to leave me with a feeling of confidence. Zonealarm did a decent enough job for me till about a year ago and I always liked the application alerts system that popped up when something tried to make an outbound connection and didn't have a rule configured for it. It left me feeling in control and the peice of mind that brings. These Truevector service crashes in the newer versions of Zonealarm are a nightmare though, it has often crashed and left my machine without a software firewall for 12+ hours and having a static/fixed i.p. address (as I do) in that situation can lead to real issues. Then about a week ago the damn thing started performing BSOD's and the only way I could isolate the problem was running driver verifier, suprise suprise it was the Truevector service driver that was causing crashes at random. After that there was no way I was going to use Zonealarm again.

I feel the same way as you Deebs when it comes to system protection, I don't like leaving security to in the hands of a sole product anyway and with so many exploits for both hardware and software firewalls it is best to have at least 2 layers of protection.

What suprises me is that there are so few decent software firewalls out there that don't require a ton of configuration and some knowledge of ports/tcp-ip. There is a massive market out there for a good software firewall that is beginner friendly yet functional enough to get the job done, I know McAfee and Symantec have products out but frankly they are absolute crap and so bloated that they bring any half decent system to it's knees after a years use.

Anyway, enough of my moaning for now. Thanks again and anyone else who has advice is more than welcome to chip in! :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
you happy with that UPnP Deebs? mine was weird in my last router and refused to play nice with teamspeak server and my bittorrent client :/

Rebel

Fledgling Freddie
Tiny will annoy the living daylights out of you (it lasted less then 20 mins last time I tried it) comodo is free and has good leak rating but I found it was blocking inbound connections to services I wanted inbound enabled dispite it being configured.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I use a software firewall called filescab and I've been happy with that so far...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom