Firefox 5

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Seems rediculous as the Firefox 4 thread is still bobbing up with all the Lastpass talk but Firefox 5 is out now.

It's actually faster imho. As the UI is unchanged, if you're using 4 I see no reason not to switch.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I found 4 to be fucking horrible with flash, constant memory leaks.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Flash is horrible tbh. 5 is using the same memory as 4 on my box but is markedly quicker.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Flash is evil. I can't believe there's a Blackberry ad on the TV where the whole point of the ad is that they've got flash.

Not many changes in FF5, it's basically a point release but they've moved to a Chrome style numbering scheme, was anyone seriously thinking that Chrome is better than Firefox because it's on version 12 and Firefox is on 5? But why anyone cares what the version number is I'll never know :)

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
The latest version of Firefox has the following changes: said:
  • Added support for CSS animations
  • The Do-Not-Track header preference has been moved to increase discoverability
  • Tuned HTTP idle connection logic for increased performance
  • Improved canvas, JavaScript, memory, and networking performance
  • Improved standards support for HTML5, XHR, MathML, SMIL, and canvas
  • Improved spell checking for some locales
  • Improved desktop environment integration for Linux users
  • WebGL content can no longer load cross-domain textures
  • Background tabs have setTimeout and setInterval clamped to 1000ms to improve performance
  • Fixed several stability issues
  • Fixed several security issues
Changes

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Highly annoying that the add-ons I rely on haven't been updated for Firefox 5 support.

Add-on developers need to get used to the regular releases.

Laddey

FH is my second home
People talk about add-ons but which ones are actually useful for simply just browsing the web?

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
just got it and its alot faster than 4 cant say it looks any different tho

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
People talk about add-ons but which ones are actually useful for simply just browsing the web?
Adblock Plus, Beef Taco, BetterPrivacy, DownThemAll!, Firefox Sync, Greasemonkey, LastPass, NoScript

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
  • Beef Taco blocks advertising cookies
  • BetterPrivacy wipes flash cookies, the ones used now by advertisers because browsers block normal cookies.
  • DownThemAll is a download manager
  • Firefox Sync syncs your bookmarks/passwords (not currently your addons, go figure)
  • Greasemonkey lets you run site specific scripts, so it can do things like automatically slideshow photos on facebook.
  • LastPass is a cross browser login/password manager (excellent)
  • NoScript blocks numerous cross site and other horrible scripting features, i.e. reduces the chances of malware infections.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
  • Beef Taco blocks advertising cookies - can probably do without
  • BetterPrivacy wipes flash cookies, the ones used now by advertisers because browsers block normal cookies. - Flash blocker does the same
  • DownThemAll is a download manager - Why do you need this??
  • Firefox Sync syncs your bookmarks/passwords (not currently your addons, go figure) - Should be part of the browser like in chrome and you have lastpass!
  • Greasemonkey lets you run site specific scripts, so it can do things like automatically slideshow photos on facebook. - Waste of time really
  • LastPass is a cross browser login/password manager (excellent) - Yes
  • NoScript blocks numerous cross site and other horrible scripting features, i.e. reduces the chances of malware infections. - Perhaps but not essential

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I don't remember asking for a running commentary on the browser addons I run? but since we're already here :p
  • Beef Taco is more reliable than trusting the advertisers.
  • Flash blocker doesn't, it says so in their own FAQ here
  • DownThemAll does multiple source downloading without the need for an external program.
  • Your comments on Firefox Sync are pointless and I use LastPass over the built in mozilla password manager because it's better (it's also better than the chrome one)
  • Greasemonkey is a personal preference.
  • LastPass ftw.
  • Safety and security is essential in the browser moreso than most applications as web/e-mail are how the majority of nasties propagate.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
TdC, you're so leet and minimalist. ;)

I have a horrendously long list of addons, only about half of which are actually enabled and used. :\

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
TdC, you're so leet and minimalist. ;)

I have a horrendously long list of addons, only about half of which are actually enabled and used. :\

thanks! though some would call that lazy / clueless / out of touch with current IT needs :)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
What sort of scripts and stuff do you Greasemonkeyers have going on? I just use it for a couple of gmail tweaks tbh.

There's quite a few useful QL scripts on Greasemonkey, at least there was a few months ago. Not played in a while (need to sort that out).

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Adblock,
DownloadHelper, good for downloading Youtube vids
FireShot, great for capturing screenshots of entire web pages
Greasemonkey,
ImageHost Grabber, great for leeching threads full of hosted images
LastPass,
LocationBar2 prettifies the address bar, adds breadcrumbs for the tld and subdirectories etc...
Mozilla Archive Format, saves an entire webpage as a .maff single file (kinda like mhtml for IE iirc)
Menu Editor, for editing menus :p context menus mostly as the menu bar is hidden anyway
Personal Menu, added a special menu accessible from the toolbar with whatever I wanted in it in FF3, haven't utililsed it in 4 yet
Speed Dial, good replacement for what you see when you open a new tab/window
Tab Mix Plus, very good with options for all aspects of tabs, tab bars etc
Tab Wheel Scroll, corrects something that TMP doesn't address - I hate it that scrolling wraps around when you reach the end and you can stop that with this add-on
Web Developer - does what it says on the tin, lots of webdev fun, looking at CSS, resizing browser window to certain size, outlining certain elements on the page etc...

Come on then dys, do your worst. :(

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Is it worth upgrading? I'm still getting used to 4.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
It's a fairly quick upgrade...you probably won't notice any difference

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
oh, erm, I had firebug installed when doing my webdev course. it was helpful but not amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom