Fiontan is finally free

fiontan

Fledgling Freddie
I started playing multi-player games online in 1995 (at the age of 17) on a text-based non-commercial so called MUD. Now, 11 years later, after being enchanted for dozens of pages on the site http://www.wowdetox.com/ , I have finally realized how I have been chained. I have managed school, work, settling with my love, travelled etc but I have never really worked for anything more than what is minimally required by society, without understanding this myself. Most the free time, the really free time, I have used for playing these games. I woke up at 3am one day, with the thought that time had come for me to question the way I live. I realized that I have so much more potential, so many more dreams, that somehow were lulled by these games. At 17 I felt that I was too small, and the world too big, I guess I was attracted by a smaller universe that I could understand and get fast "rewards" from - and the games kept me in that status. But it is not true, we can learn enough of real life to form our own future. My chains have broken and I am now a much happier man. Unfortunately, I think noone but you yourself can find your personal way out.

This , from www.wowdetox.com/ , was the last push I needed. Isn't it good?:

"Are you like a heroin addict who keeps shooting up in an attempt to relive that first high?"

Elkie

Can't get enough of FH
weither you mean your quiting or not I dont know but ive had hard day doing work so maybe ive missed something xD

If so good luck with life I personally visit all types of places around the world and mainly play games the most in winter time.

WiiWii

Loyal Freddie
May you find better rewards in the great game called "Life"

/respect Fiontan

tierk

Part of the furniture
Never talked in game but seen u owning hard core ingame. If its a goodbye thread good luck and may you find what you seek out there and achive all that you aim for.

Word of advice, you can have a "real life" and still play online games you just have to learn to prioratize. I work as a broker in the mornings with my brother and setting up a restaurant with another partner and balance a very busy social life with a lot familly members AND manage to find time to play games, when possible.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
As Samuel L Jackson said in his latest Hollywood blockbuster to a kid on a plane ... Are u playing the game or is the game playing you ?!?

Different people react differently to mmo type games ... i remember since the x-mas ff7 came out i was hooked on gaming ... my next great love was the Gran Tourismo games ... then Daoc ... hey u could be doing worse ;)

Gl in rl m8 :D

Bertram

Fledgling Freddie
Its all about controle...

If you can have a social life, work and having another life in the gaming univers thats fine and totaly oki.

Now if you dont have the controle and the game is playing youm you should consider stop playing. Its not good for you, and you dont have to be a rocket sciencetist to know that.

I was addictet and i played daoc ALL The time.. When i was in school i played daoc, when i was home i played daoc, i sat up in the late ours in the weekdays and played daoc. I installed Daoc on my schools computer the first day so i could play when i "needed" to.

Then a few years later (Now) i startet to work out with a m8. We went to the gym 3 times a week and was swimming 1 time a week. I startet to see girls alot more and even had a little fling. Not to say am not cable of having a girlfriend because i am. But what am tryign to say is i had a push in my back, a push who took my out of the gamign univers and tought me to take controle. Somtimes when i got home backthen i startet to play daoc Without even thinking about if i wantet to. I just did , becasue that was what i allways did. And thats scary, Its scary when you do stuff without even thinkinh about it. When it have becomed a rutine.

Anyway.. Now i play and do all the other stuff at the same time, and thats working out for me really good! But if you have the feeling you cant comprimise i really understand.

Good luck out there buddy!

Bertram..

Everz

FH is my second home
gl irl m8, was gd to have group'd with you a few times

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I didn't like the site that much because it made it all out to be purely negative. MMORPG's aren't purely negative. They improve many aspects of your life, ranging from social aspects to the understanding of basic economies. Yes, they DO take up a lot of spare time, but its potentially saving you £30-50 more than going on a night on the piss or something else that can be as equally negative for you. If you can set a mmorpg to be lower down in your to-do list, then you can have a good time doing what you do and get all your duties completed.

Lastly, what people don't realise is that MMORPGS are suppose to be hobbies. If you lose that feeling of enjoyment and 'time-well-spent' then it no longer becomes a hobby and instead becomes a time-sink.

But do take care and goodluck in real life. Saw you ingame some and such ^^

Arthuria

Banned
Bugz said:
I didn't like the site that much because it made it all out to be purely negative. MMORPG's aren't purely negative. They improve many aspects of your life, ranging from social aspects to the understanding of basic economies. Yes, they DO take up a lot of spare time, but its potentially saving you £30-50 more than going on a night on the piss or something else that can be as equally negative for you. If you can set a mmorpg to be lower down in your to-do list, then you can have a good time doing what you do and get all your duties completed.

Lastly, what people don't realise is that MMORPGS are suppose to be hobbies. If you lose that feeling of enjoyment and 'time-well-spent' then it no longer becomes a hobby and instead becomes a time-sink.

But do take care and goodluck in real life. Saw you ingame some and such ^^

Actually i think that site is very correct, so what if you save some money? time out >time inside

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
heh, i agree with most people here, mmos are hobbies, do em more than that will damage you as they easily can become an addiction seen on such places as FH and VN boards :D

anyway, GL in real life Fiontan - i wanna travel too :<'

/edit

bugz - imagine if an addict tried to be clean and read a book that was supposed to help him said smth about how juicy a rush smack would give him? :p

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Never really saw you as that much of a powerplayer or addict at all, just a casual player that really enjoyed to grind noobs. Take care :)

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Arthuria said:
Actually i think that site is very correct, so what if you save some money? time out >time inside

That's just your opinion.

No where in the world is it stated that time out > time inside.

I'd hate to think where I would be / what state I'd be in if I hadn't played mmorpgs when children my age were out smoking and taking drugs.

Just because so and so likes to spend his time getting pissed and fucking his liver up, that doesn't suddenly make that 'greater and better' than staying indoors and perhaps slightly pwning your eyesight spending time on a mmorpg.

People like to spend their time in different ways and IMO, no-one has the right to say 'this is how it is.'

Bertram

Fledgling Freddie
Playing DaOc is a hobby. Just like football, swimming, going out every night etc.
Its a hobby like everything else. So if thats what you enjoy and have fun with you cant say its rigt or wrong. And the money is not a issue if you are having fun. Everything cost money so the question is were do you want to spend yours?

Frozodo

Fledgling Freddie
fiontan said:
I started playing multi-player games online in 1995 (at the age of 17) on a text-based non-commercial so called MUD. Now, 11 years later, after being enchanted for dozens of pages on the site http://www.wowdetox.com/ , I have finally realized how I have been chained. I have managed school, work, settling with my love, travelled etc but I have never really worked for anything more than what is minimally required by society, without understanding this myself. Most the free time, the really free time, I have used for playing these games. I woke up at 3am one day, with the thought that time had come for me to question the way I live. I realized that I have so much more potential, so many more dreams, that somehow were lulled by these games. At 17 I felt that I was too small, and the world too big, I guess I was attracted by a smaller universe that I could understand and get fast "rewards" from - and the games kept me in that status. But it is not true, we can learn enough of real life to form our own future. My chains have broken and I am now a much happier man. Unfortunately, I think noone but you yourself can find your personal way out.

This , from www.wowdetox.com/ , was the last push I needed. Isn't it good?:

"Are you like a heroin addict who keeps shooting up in an attempt to relive that first high?"

well if u cant manage real life + gaming then i guess u should quit.. it is all about what you need and not what the game need maybe you are one of these person that easily get addicted to stuff... however GL.

Zakoraya

Fledgling Freddie
I understand Fiontan. Top Druid. I'm really happy you are beginning to understand yourself more :)

Good luck my friend :fluffle:

Zakoraya Wildcat

Lethul

FH is my second home
Arthuria said:

actually a mix is best imo, if you go out all the time it gets boring. if you play to much it gets boring. i dont know how you still can find daoc fun as you play several hours every day tho? (i even read about a 16h session zomg) :p

TriggerHappy

Fledgling Freddie
As a wise Wajn once said to me !
"we are addicted mate,but there are far worse things to be addicted to,nd atleast we are surrounded by people instead of pushin people away,and our health dos'nt suffer! so stfu nd buff me"

ahh :p well it was summa along those lines,so guys believe wateva ya want,u can fool all here nd say "i play casual" etc,but we all like to play as often as we can,we all have great friends n game nd i personally enjoy to play,i realise its an addiction but fack it! does'nt bother me :d

And back to the topic,
Gratz i spose Fiontain,
Top druid,great player nd i wish u well wit woteva u doin next! :D

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
Well I never grp'd with you but often saw you about enjoying yourself, so good luck with the real thing too :D

Have to argue this:

fiontan said:

I don't see DAOC players stealing from others, mugging and even in extreme cases murdering for that high, so maybe this detox site, having looked at it is a little sycophantic in it's own right comparing MMORPG's in that way. And I'm not sure I'm that hot on the guy on that site (#7652) who got to shag his mate's girlfriend now he's quit while his friend hasn't. He's swapped one sad existence for another.

Guess what people have said about the right mix is definitely the case - adios and enjoy all the things in the wide world for you :fluffle:

Arthuria

Banned
Lethul said:
actually a mix is best imo, if you go out all the time it gets boring. if you play to much it gets boring. i dont know how you still can find daoc fun as you play several hours every day tho? (i even read about a 16h session zomg) :p
atm i try only to play when we have gg's ;)

gravedigger

Fledgling Freddie
hope you succeed in whatever you do next fiontan , played several times with you over the years , to put it in a way you were one excellent if not brilliant drood m8 :worthy:

have fun on whatever you do next , still hope you ever come back but sincerely doubt that :p anyway was honored of playin with you on occasion good luck buddy :fluffle:

grave out

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Gratz on getting a life. You were one tough mother of hib to kill. /bow

Eleasias

Can't get enough of FH
even if we had our arguments and disagreements, my childish tantrums and shit i've always respected and liked you fio, its sad if we never get to play again but i totally understand your point and now that i've reduced my playtime quite a lot aswell it makes me think more and more about just quitting for good

atleast we had a good time in OG, and playing our crappy duos on prydwen and minigroups on thid server, that was a lot of fun :)

wish you well and good luck in everything you decide to do

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom