Finding game servers

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
I'm updating my newbie guide and I've hit a snag :(.

Say you are joe bloggs and want to connect to a games server. Nowadays I guess you'd tell them to use the ingame browser? Or is there any decent way of finding servers?

What do you all use? :)

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
The all seeing eye is what I was told to use, nice and simple to install and finds the games on your harddrive, also looks for patches for them too :)

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
I used to use that (much better than the old gamespy3d :) ). But don't you have to pay for it? :/

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You don't have to pay for it, but at peak times, it won't let you in. If you pay, you can use it anytime.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
I use ASE for all my gaming stuff (that its compatible with).

babs

Can't get enough of FH
It doesn't stop you using it at peak times, it just doesn't let you connect to the scanner which does the fast pinging, you can still do normal pings. I use it for steam as well, very handy.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
ASE For BF etc (lets you in anytime but faster searches I think when subscribed)

Steam for CS & other HL Mods :)

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Hmmm, s'pose i'm the only one that uses GameSpy then. The adverts aren't as common as they used to be now though, and as far as i'm concerned, it does the job just fine.

ASE, from what i remember, had a 30 day trial limit. :/

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Nope, just a nag screen u can click through which appears once a week.

Deady

Fledgling Freddie
All Seeing Eye is what everyone uses now.

Unregistered youre limited to 4 buddies (friends you can add and if theyre playing anywhere it will tell you what server).

It also denies access to the scanner at peak times, but basically that just means an extra delay of about 10 seconds while it pings things a bit slower.

pgh

Fledgling Freddie
All Seeing Eye.. filter out everything I want and add up to favourites then just bump them over to me NNScript.. :) no more external programs needed. Also saves you loading up browsers to check clan servers as I can just /gameip (scripted myself) IP and itll ping it and gimme details or /gameipfav too add it to me NNScript favourites displaying more server info, whos playing, scores and pings. :]

I only play ET, Q3, RTCW and CoD.. :]

And I spose Painkiller, if it already isnt, will be added for when its released.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
ASE no question.

One of very few shareware apps I have ever paid for, and worth 20 times what i paid.*

*20 times may be an exaggeration, but you get my point.

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
Kquery4 not quite as useful as ASE perhaps ... but it's a free alternative.
Also upon checking the page, I found Qtracker !
And of course, you could always get people to join IRC and ask about, or join one of the "pickup" channels.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
i used to use Qtraker too, but atm am not playing any games, :/

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
I paid out years ago for gamespy and gamespy arcade so I use these.
Most games as you say use their own browser but many of these lack favourites etc. If I wanna play Q3 I use gamespy as the number of playable servers has declined a lot.

Athan

Resident Freddy
I paid up for Gamespy 3D, found that it didn't actually make any difference at the time (it enabled the smart search thingy, but that had such limited fields you could set it was useless for reducing the number of servers returned and thus your time to ping them all), then switched to ASE and quickly ended up registering that to always have access to the scanner (the buddies thing used to be useful to me too).

ASE all the way for me now, has been for years.

-Ath

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom