Finding CLSID's for programs

Cyradix

FH is my second home
Hi,

I need to uninstall a bunch of "non-legal" software from about a 1000 pc's here at work.
I thought I could create a bunch of uninstall packages in SMS to uninstall them all (using "msiexec.exe /x CLSID /q") but I need to find out what the CLSID's are first.
Anyone have a good easy way to find them? A manual lookup in the registry seems like finding a needle in a haystack :(

Thanks

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Only thing i can think of right now would be to grab a clean lab machine without this software and use windiff (resource kit) to compare reg files before and after installation of said software. That should pinpoint all reg changes. (cross fingers)

Just export required section, in this case hkeylocalmachine>software>classes, then install and do same. Compare the two and this should give you what you need.*

*Maybe :)

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Bah edit timer..

Also if you go with lab machine, try kdiff3 to compare the two text files. Use the movement menu to travel down and picking off the difference.

Also remember to install same version software as you want to remove. Different version could have different entries.

Cyradix

FH is my second home
Hmmpfff.... I might also need a good way to dispose of my boss after I kill him ;)

phlash

Fledgling Freddie
I've done something similar in the past - dumped the registry to a text file then sifted through it with grep to find anything that referenced the install directories of said software (esp CLSIDs referring to COM objects). I assume there are no 'Uninstall' reg keys for this software?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom