Finally got it!

V

Vegy

Got FFXI yesterday, after a load of crap with UPS wanting £16.79 import charge in exact change without letting me know they would be wanting it direct from me to take the game off the driver delivering it(driver didnt have change of £20).

OMG the PlayOnline stuff is frustrating as hell, I know they have to cater for PS2 owners aswell but surely there was away around all the crap for the PC Users.
The menu system is confusing, unfortunately I only had time to play around with the game for about 30 mins last night after updating/making char etc and I think I logged about 10 steps from where I spawned and totally confused, hehe.

Is it worth me buying a ps2 pad and convertor?

B

Bloodvayne

Mine turned up yesterday too, UPS asking for £17.06 (actually they demanded it over the phone the day before).
I didn't have too many problems with PlayOnline and I actually don't mind the interface now. Been playing the game since 4am and I'm still trying to get used to the controls and not having any money at all for weapons, armour and spells, but regardless of that I think it's awesome.

E

ECA

not worth getting ps2 converter etc.

Bloodvayne - gimme a shout sometime and i'll give you a linkshell

name "Gryffes"

i'm in windhurst until monday-tuesday :-]

C

Caelath

Got mine a couple of days ago, and UPS were fine, no extra charges or anything.

Just getting the hang of the interface now, but I have a nostromo n50 speedpad which I used for DaoC which is also quite handy for FFXI.

S

spathi

nahh, you'll adapt to the interface pretty quick if you change to wsad controls, just throw your mouse in the corner and make a few macros on Control and Alt and you'll be away in no time, with TAB as target and R as autorun, you get used to the rest of the controls, and H to lock target/sit (although the camera is a bit of a bastard when locked so be careful)

W

Whisperess

Haven't tried the compact settings, but you can always change the keys to whatever you want via the config menues in-game.
The original settings take a while to get used to, but I wouldn't want to change them even the slightest atm :)

As for the PlayOnline thing; Sure - it takes time to logon etc. But it's pretty darn handy once you've put up a friendslist. Being able to chat with them even if you're not in the (fullscreen) game is nice. Also, you set up a friends list per player ( well, handle ), not per character - so no matter what character they're playing you will see them on your friendslist ( if they let you ).

Not only that, later on when new games arrive, as long as their handles remain the same you won't have to update anything at all. Not to mention that the PlayOnline Viewer is the interface you use to check up on information, call for GM support or "RightNow" stuff.

It's worth the hassle imo. :D

V

Vegy

Damnit I wish I was jobless again like when I started DAoC, I'm sat here in work with nothing to do other than chat on irc and surf websites thinking about getting home and playing ffxi!
Driving me crazy to say the least, time to quit my job I think.....

V

Vegy

Well I played for about 2 hours lasy night but I'm not really into it yet :), it reminds me of when I first played DAoC (Took me about 3 days to start to enjoy it) and I spent the time not really knowing what I was doing.
I just kinda ran about killing stuff, and went on a quest in the Z something Mines west of Bastok to obtain a letter from the overseer but died to 2 leeches bah.
I'm a level 5 warrior atm but what I am really waiting for is when I can start grouping, as I know I will enjoy that alot :).

D

delphae

i wub you vegy!! glad you joined ^^
couldnt say much last night, i was grouped but i'll see you around later today :)

Tsukiko
rank5 ffxi muppet,
current projects: Capture of all summons, 2 down, 4 to go.
IG linkshell/seraph

Users who are viewing this thread