Final Fantasy

X

xane

I finally got round to watching this film last night, my dad got it on DVD and I borrowed it.

As I was on the periphery of what was the overhypedness of the FF series on game consoles, I only gained an insight into what was to me an incredibly boring and dull japanese dialogue with a super-linear adventure plot and graphically enlightening combat sequences. This was mainly due to brief glimpses during periods of insomnia only cured by watching my step-son play it on his console.

Needless to say the film continued this tradition, however I was rather intriged as how the console series transformed from an RPG heroes and dragons style fantasy format with big swords and arcane spells into a an ultra-high-tech post-apocolypse scenario as portrayed in the film, maybe it was something that happened since FF7, which even the disc cover was enough to make the insides of my eyelids a more desireable vista.

So, anyone who has been an avid afficionado of FF, please explain, ta.

W

Will

FF7 was set in a sort of futurish world, they had guns and stuff.

Is that enough explanation, or do I have to talk about materia and limit breaks now?

B

bodhi

Originally posted by xane
I finally got round to watching this film last night, my dad got it on DVD and I borrowed it.

As I was on the periphery of what was the overhypedness of the FF series on game consoles, I only gained an insight into what was to me an incredibly boring and dull japanese dialogue with a super-linear adventure plot and graphically enlightening combat sequences. This was mainly due to brief glimpses during periods of insomnia only cured by watching my step-son play it on his console.

Needless to say the film continued this tradition, however I was rather intriged as how the console series transformed from an RPG heroes and dragons style fantasy format with big swords and arcane spells into a an ultra-high-tech post-apocolypse scenario as portrayed in the film, maybe it was something that happened since FF7, which even the disc cover was enough to make the insides of my eyelids a more desireable vista.

So, anyone who has been an avid afficionado of FF, please explain, ta.

Nice to see you watched it with an open mind there cama!

X

xane

Re: Re: Final Fantasy

Originally posted by bodhi
Nice to see you watched it with an open mind there cama!

It's the same one you use to read my posts with ;)

D

dysfunction

I quite enjoyed the film.

Had no interest in the games...so got no basis to compare the transfer of idea to film.

Superb graphics I have to say.

Story line was a little predictable and weak but overall it was good if you are bored on a sunday afternoon and want an easy movie to watch without thinking too much...

Certainly not Oscar material if thats what you were after...

C

.cage

The film is fucking shit, the games are the best games of all time

(Well, 10,7,6 and 4 are)

Either you've all only played FF8, or you're fucking twats who think CS is the height of gaming.

None of the games are connected in setting or storyline, just they have some common gameplay elements, and are by (mostly) the same development team. The film isn't connected to any of the games at all, and was just squares foray into making a fully CG movie. AFAIK nobody who worked on the games had anything to do the film.

L

legendario

I played 10 but it was too linear for me.

Decent enough game just not my cup of cum

C

.cage

play 6 then, most of it is totally non-linear
or chrono trigger, kinda recognised as an FF game (was even released with FF4/5 in an ff compilation) yet has 12 diff endings :)
valid point though, X is quite linear, until you finish it and there's about 70 odd hours of optional subquests to do :>

E

ECA

Its a bit like EA who churn out FIFA titles year after year.

Evil bad guy come to take over the world omg!!!!!!!

etc. etc.

summit original please?

B

bodhi

Originally posted by ECA

etc. etc.

summit original please?

How about you showing some sign of intelligence. I think that would be damn original.

C

.cage

Originally posted by ECA

etc. etc.

summit original please?

Have you played ANY of them for ANY length of time?

I somewhat doubt it. Although you probably have, and just couldn't understand any of them to any degree because you're such a fucking moron.

edit:

if you hadn't worked out, im a total ff fanboy. I will defend it with my life!

P

PR.

Never played the games.

I liked the film and my dad watched it for nearly an hour before it clicked that it was all computer graphics :)

J

jake cop

I've never played the games, and the movie was as unoriginal and derivitive as they come.

What it was though is a landmark in film, the CGI was so impressive that it's only a matter of time before we see more virtual film stars and CGI created movies. The step after that will be to resurrect dead film stars in CGI form.

It will happen, it's only a matter of time.

E

ECA

Originally posted by .cage

Have you played ANY of them for ANY length of time?

I somewhat doubt it. Although you probably have, and just couldn't understand any of them to any degree because you're such a fucking moron.

edit:

if you hadn't worked out, im a total ff fanboy. I will defend it with my life!

Yes.

I completed 6,7,8, and played half of 9, before I came to my conclusion.

The fact is, that although the storylines are good, I'd rather have them as films, than having to play through the repetetive walk about kill a monster shit.

R

Racoon of Doom

Originally posted by legendario
I would buy your dad glasses :)

Or a labotomy ;)

Please tell me the misspelling of lobotomy is irony on the part of legendario.

Final Fantasy Movie was an utter let down. The fact that the enemies were passive moving transparant objects when I was expecting something nice and aggressive like Alien style aliens.

I guess its just a tour-de-force of CGI in film making.

Interesting point is how would the FF universe be conveyed in a film? For example, in FF7 your characters can be shot with machine guns and sustain only minimal damage. They take the blow full on, but it only takes a fraction of their health. How could you represent this in a film. I love the idea of a universe where the sword is equal to or mighter than a gun.

N

Nos-

Originally posted by Racoon of Doom
Interesting point is how would the FF universe be conveyed in a film? For example, in FF7 your characters can be shot with machine guns and sustain only minimal damage. They take the blow full on, but it only takes a fraction of their health. How could you represent this in a film.

Oh dear god.

S

Sar

Playing through FFX atm - omg with the "move 2 inches = 5 min cut scene" already.

:/

O

old.D0LLySh33p

FF, would have been so good had someone bothered to spend some of the $100 million they had on a script.

Ah well.

P

prime1

Originally posted by jake cop
I've never played the games, and the movie was as unoriginal and derivitive as they come.

What it was though is a landmark in film, the CGI was so impressive that it's only a matter of time before we see more virtual film stars and CGI created movies. The step after that will be to resurrect dead film stars in CGI form.

It will happen, it's only a matter of time.

unlikely it will ever take off in any big way, didnt the movie studio that made it go bust recently?

Also compare the new star wars films (pure cg at every opportunity) to the LOTR films (CG only where necassary, and mixed with as much live action as possible). LOTR is hands down better.

S

Sir Frizz

Originally posted by prime1

unlikely it will ever take off in any big way, didnt the movie studio that made it go bust recently?

No, they were on the brink though.

O

old.Kez

Also compare the new star wars films (pure cg at every opportunity) to the LOTR films (CG only where necassary, and mixed with as much live action as possible). LOTR is hands down better.
Alternatively, don't compare them, because aside from them being entirely different films, and thus suited to different decisions regarding direction, its also a matter of opinion. Even objectively comparing the same film done in live action and in CG would be difficult, for the whole opinion debacle would still be there.

C

caLLous

If you're going to do a massive cross-genre compare (just to show how flawed that little comparison of yours was), take Narc, which has next to no CGI (none that I can remember anyway) and I'd watch it 10 times before I watched LoTR once.

S

Sar

I liked the FF movie quite a bit. Granted it took me two watches of it to appreciate the storyline properly (thank you eastern mumbo-jumbo), and also listening to the Jap commentary track, which explained a few important plot points not readily obvious from the film alone (as in why she suddenly had the 7th & final spirit within her all of a sudden - it was her newly conceived child she was going to give birth to, fathered by Gray).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom