Final Fantasy XIII-2

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
nice looking but...

pity the first game was as boring as fuck

cant see this being any different

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Rather unimpressed as far as Final Fantasy stuff goes.

Though i'm wondering who in the SE eamt went "Oh sh*t f*ck! We're moving ahead too fast! Put out some 13-2 and 12-2 games so that we can have a perfect XX launch at 2020!" :D

Just you wait ;)

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
-2, fffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!. It must however be said, Nobuo Uematsu is a genious! It sounded like his piano themes. The FF series of games are going in a direction i do not like, with the anime style and what not. It was somewhat toned down in FF7,8,9. And those are the FF games that are the best around also.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Chapter 9 in FFXIII was great. The rest was dull, linear and dated.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Meh, I've been pretty underwhelmed with every Final Fantasy since FFX. I bought XIII months ago and still haven't even bothered to play it.

Afran

Part of the furniture
FFX - Rocks
FFX-2 - Sucks

FFXIII - Sucks
FFXIII-2 - Rocks? Hopefully :(

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I'm looking forward to this release, but I always dread new FF games coming out - difficult to find the playing time they deserve.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
FFX - Rocks
FFX-2 - Sucks

FFXIII - Sucks
FFXIII-2 - Rocks? Hopefully :(

I think square probably learned from their mistakes with ffx-2 hopefully this will be as compelling to play as the first FFXIII.

Chosen

Resident Freddy
nice looking but...

pity the first game was as boring as fuck

cant see this being any different

Don't worry. They made this game because of the fans, they got lots of complaints about the combat system and the game beeing way to linear in FFXIII. So they are making this similar to the older FF games =)

I don't think it will be bad, since they got some "face" to save by doing this good.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well let's be honest here, the fanbase of SE is so massive that they could take a diarrhea squirt into a DVD box and the fans would still run into the shops to get it ASAP.

Chosen

Resident Freddy
Well let's be honest here, the fanbase of SE is so massive that they could take a diarrhea squirt into a DVD box and the fans would still run into the shops to get it ASAP.

That's not really the point, since all companies wants to make the most money they can. SE by making a crap followup to a game wich the FF fans didn't like that much at the beginning, wont make them look any better(They have nothing to gain by making a crap game).

In the older days, people only spoke of FF7, like it was the only RPG that existed, this even many years after the release. Today, everytime I read the most anticipated RPG on different websites, the FF games is either far down or not there at all.(You get Mass Effect, Dragon Age, The Elder Scrolls etc topping the list, shadowing over Final Fantasy).

This proves that the FF genere is not as popular as it used to be, most likely thanks to some shit games(Like X2).
So hopefully SE will play it smart, and make the games the way we like :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It's a bit optimistic though, since it's been quite a few titles in between 7 and this, so for them to turn the moneytrain around towards VII-ville, would require such changes to the whole redefined genre that it might end up biting them on the preverbial arse.

It's like making the next batman movie akin to the adam west one, people just wouldn't like it as the redefined batman is not about a graysuited potbelly avenger.

Chosen

Resident Freddy
It's a bit optimistic though, since it's been quite a few titles in between 7 and this, so for them to turn the moneytrain around towards VII-ville, would require such changes to the whole redefined genre that it might end up biting them on the preverbial arse.

It's like making the next batman movie akin to the adam west one, people just wouldn't like it as the redefined batman is not about a graysuited potbelly avenger.

Hehe, I just used FF7 as an example. I find 8, 9 and 10 to be good aswell. But after that, it went downwards(12 was ok I suppose, liked the combat system).

So I just hope they go back to their old roots =)

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I think perhaps one issue with Square is tha they did do a very very good game when it came to FF7 and yeah, the follow ups where good (not as good, but still good), but then because they saw themselves as being king of their particular castle, but they failed to pay attention to what was going on around them, and to learn from newer games with superior combat systems and online potential.

The games are still fantastic - and most have some replay value - but it has to be said, they do feel (even with the amazing cut scenes ect), a little bit dated. If you expect a release to be a good rehash of their old ideas, probably with an excellent story line and characters you can get behind, then you probably won't be dissapointed - but every new FF is garanteed to sell in huge numbers regardless of how good or bad it is.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
the only problem I see with final fantasy games are the fans :) they don't want to move on from the past, its not the battle systems that make the final fantasy games what they are/were its the story behind them, people can't accept this thus they want nothing but FF7 clones constantly which will ruin final fantasy eventually :p theres only so much you can do with an out dated battle system.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Actually, its being part of that story that is important and playing in a world that is part of that story. Endless linear corridors does not create that feeling. There was nothing actually wrong with the story or the combat in the last two games, both brought something new to the table, the worlds were terrible though. Corridor, cut scene, corridor, cut scene etc etc

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Yep, the linear corridors of XIII were awful. I had just come from playing Demon's Souls which is about as far removed from Final Fantasy as it is possible for a RPG to be, so was bored to tears with XIII's structure.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Yep, the linear corridors of XIII were awful. I had just come from playing Demon's Souls which is about as far removed from Final Fantasy as it is possible for a RPG to be, so was bored to tears with XIII's structure.

Demon's Souls itself has very linear levels, although you can choose to do them in different orders. You could make an argument for 2-2 being quite open, and possibly 5-1 (a bit of a stretch since you need to do a bit of olympic diving to get down a different way).

I honestly think FF13 would've seemed better if they didn't give us a minimap. It made the "corridor" so much more obvious, and most people actually watched the map as they wandered, instead of the game world.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
but then because they saw themselves as being king of their particular castle, but they failed to pay attention to what was going on around them, and to learn from newer games with superior combat systems and online potential.

I'm not after an argument, but I really am interested to know what makes you think this. Except for the above-mentioned Demon's Souls (which is more of an action RPG, not really the same genre as FF), I haven't played an RPG that really puts SE to shame. Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age are nice, but just as flawed as FF13. What are these new games with superior combat systems?

Exioce

Part of the furniture
I see where you're going saying that Demon's Souls' levels are linear. There is a bit of truth in that but even on this point the DS levels are far more intricate and better designed. Rather I was getting at how free the player is to take any route through the game in regards to spec and gameplay style.
Never mind the FFXIII minimap which I just stared at most of the time, the platforms you couldn't fall off, the story line which had to be written up for reference, the vast difference in difficulty etc.

Also, Dragon Age just as flawed as FFXIII? We must be on completely different wavelengths, they are not even in the same league. If you're just meaning the combat systems, well, apples & oranges.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
The last game was absolute dog shit, and that is an insult to dogs and excretion everywhere. A story and dialogue that would disappoint six year olds.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I'm not after an argument, but I really am interested to know what makes you think this. Except for the above-mentioned Demon's Souls (which is more of an action RPG, not really the same genre as FF), I haven't played an RPG that really puts SE to shame. Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age are nice, but just as flawed as FF13. What are these new games with superior combat systems?

I suppose it is down to personal taste. For me, games like Jagged Alliance 2, Magna carta, Fallout 1 and 2, Diablo, NWN, Baldurs Gate, Gladius, Fable 2 and Tales of Destiny 2 all had slightly flawed, but very interesting combat systems. I'm not saying they should have been copied, but I can't help think that SE either don't pay enough atention to the combat systems or they go way overboard and make them way to complex.

I mean some FF games have absolutely terrible systems - eight was pretty horrendous, nice idea but very badly done; but then they mainly focused on GFX and pretty cut scenes there to be fair and got a lot more out of PSone than they should have been able to.

Crisis core - no reason not to have sevens system on that (twas a prequal after all) - but went for a silly system that didn't really work very well and was too simple.

Ten again, truly awful system for me, I abosultely hated the grid thing. In fact the game itself was a bit iffy really.

For me, on many FF games it is a near miss when it comes to combat. I can't put my finger on why and as I said, probably just a personal thing. Still love the games though.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Also, Dragon Age just as flawed as FFXIII? We must be on completely different wavelengths, they are not even in the same league. If you're just meaning the combat systems, well, apples & oranges.

DAO has some issues, but I think my memory was playing tricks on me. Now that I think about it, DAO was the best RPG I'd played in years.

The main thing that let it down for me was the open story progression. I saved the dwarf city until last, and it ended up being far too easy and quite boring story-wise. It was a huge struggle to make it through without falling asleep :<

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
I suppose it is down to personal taste. For me, games like Jagged Alliance 2, Magna carta, Fallout 1 and 2, Diablo, NWN, Baldurs Gate, Gladius, Fable 2 and Tales of Destiny 2 all had slightly flawed, but very interesting combat systems. I'm not saying they should have been copied, but I can't help think that SE either don't pay enough atention to the combat systems or they go way overboard and make them way to complex.

I dunno, my favourite two FF battle systems are X and X-2. XII is also one of my favourites. That's 3 of the 4 most recent main FF games.

Keep in mind that Japanese RPGs are pretty much a different genre from Western RPGs. While SE are trying to understand the western market better, they're still making games for Japanese gamers.

I mean some FF games have absolutely terrible systems - eight was pretty horrendous, nice idea but very badly done;

Everything about FF8 was pretty horrendous. :)

Ten again, truly awful system for me, I abosultely hated the grid thing. In fact the game itself was a bit iffy really.

!!!!!

FFX is actually a fan favourite as far as combat goes.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I actually enjoyed FF8, but in retrospect it might be poo compared to the rest.

I think i was, at the time, still on a FF7 high and it kept to the next one.

Never finished it and never "really" played FFs after it, even if i think it's one of the ebst series out there, but lack of console does that to a man.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I quite liked 8, playing it through again on my PsP, it's no where near the best but it's not as bad as people make out.

I don't think there is a final fantasy game were I didn't like the combat/character development actually.

Chosen

Resident Freddy
I liked FF8 the best myself, most likely because I felt I grew more into the FF8 characters. Suppose that goes from person to person =)

pikeh

Resident Freddy
what was wrong with FF8? Think I might actually prefer it to 7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom