Final Fantasy XI and XIV

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Was thinking about giving XIV a go, was going to try it at release but the whole software cursor thing put me off. I keep hearing that XI is better/more populated aswell, anyone that has played or is still playing them both that can shed some light?

- most populated
- easiest to get into
- better interface
- classes

ECA

I am a FH squatter
XI is more populated, XIV is probably a little easier to get into - XI still supports PS2 and was designed for PS2 and ported to PC - that said, it's still a fucking great game and XIV definitely isn't one ( yet ).
XIV might be good in 3-4 years when they actually finish it. ( But XIV was meant to be simultaneous PS3+PC release - PS3 release was put behind, then dropped when PC release turned into a shitstorm - the interface is just as designed for console as XI just it's a little cleaner ).

XI used to be a 600 hour to cap kind of mmo, now you can do it in < 20 if you already have a character at cap and know what the fuck you're actually doing.
They added so much to XI that it isn't even all documented in terms of what you can do to xp and how to do it.

You'll also never experience the awesomeness of the oldschool 64 man zones in their original state of a bunch of other content that's been adjusted, but c'est la vie. Same with WoW and most mmos.
In b4 30 page reply from me about how awesome XI was/is :p

Honestly I'd try and find a few people who want to run XI with you and go through it at least once just for the experience. It's a fucking great fucking great game.

Aada

Part of the furniture
XI was great but it's extremely hard to get into as a brand new player, that said a lot of friendly people on there willing to hand out Gil like candy to new players, i'd try the new version myself and actually might see if theres a trial for it :)

The class system is awesome though on XI reminds me of Horizon's where basically you can level all the classes up on one character if i'm not mistaken.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Aye I heard you can't level solo after level 20 or something? and need to group? on XI

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
hmm might give XI a go, only thing putting me off is leveling :p if you can do it alone that's all dandy but if you need to group all the time I can see that getting frustrating fast.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Aye I heard you can't level solo after level 20 or something? and need to group? on XI

That used to be true and largely it's better to group but you can solo these days. They put solo quests/buffs in for levelling.

I've heard that XIV was a hateful game.

On release, yup. Absolutely fucking terrible.

Aada

Part of the furniture
hmm might give XI a go, only thing putting me off is leveling :p if you can do it alone that's all dandy but if you need to group all the time I can see that getting frustrating fast.

Save yourself the time downloading it, you won't get far without a group even getting to level 20 can take a while.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Save yourself the time downloading it, you won't get far without a group even getting to level 20 can take a while.

I don't mind how long it takes, just as long as I can do it without 100% needing a group, I like soloing that's all.. that's not to say I wont ever group tho. Recommendations for a good noob friendly start class? pref something that can solo without any issues but is also desired by groups in case I do fancy it.

Edit: and is there anywhere I can check server populations so I can ensure rolling on a server that isn't dead?

Last edited:

Aada

Part of the furniture
If time is not an issue then start with White Mage to level up and get some healing abilties as depending on what level you are with your current class depends on what abilities you can carry over if you then decide to level up some Black Mage for dps. About as much as i know tbh as i quit at about lvl 30 due to the group thing ^^

ECA

I am a FH squatter
They put in field of valour which basically lets you solo aada, I'd level monk up first tbh as you have a self heal and lots of good stuff, definitely makes it easier to start off with.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
is that field of valour automatic when not grouped? or do you have to talk to an npc or pay for it?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
You talk to an npc, get a quest kill 10 x y z, and get buffs from it as a reward from completing it - non currency related. Basically your normal grind quests but all from 1 central npc.

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
This game I hated due to you needing a group after a certain level and the fact if your group messes up and you die often you delevel. Also hated the control system. Though I've no idea how much easier they have made it these days, surprised its still running.

Last edited:

Aada

Part of the furniture
Aye the controls are horrible unless they changed it, oh yes and if you die you lose xp :(

ECA

I am a FH squatter
This game I hated due to you needing a group after a certain level and the fact if your group messes up and you die often you delevel. Also hated the control system. Though I've no idea how much easier they have made it these days, surprised its still running.

Western gamers, bunch of pussies :p

Aye the controls are horrible unless they changed it, oh yes and if you die you lose xp :(

Controls are fucking abysmal, they actually changed XIV to "normal" modern mmo controls but they havnt touched xis. Again, western gamers = pussies :p

ECA

I am a FH squatter
it's k :p I blame wow and its clones for pussifying an mmo generation.

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
I'm actually quite tempted to try ffxi again, anyone know if theres any free trials going about?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
There is a 14 free trial that i'm dl'ing at the moment, the dl speed is fucking terrible tho :S

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Sod it, just bought it on steam for £18 - comes with all expansions etc.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
My god PlayOnline is a fucking colossal pain in the ass to setup, what possessed them to make such a shit interface for setting up a game?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Lol, in fact it keeps saying there are to many active services on my account when I try to register the cd-key... yet it clearly says

Active Service Accounts
There are no active service accounts at the moment.​
Fucking derp?​

Edit: finally got the cunt working, what a right fuck on :x

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
And again... finally get it all registered and what not only to find out i have to purchase additional character content id's or i can't even play the game? they can fuck off lol, what a bag of shit system this is.

Chosen

Resident Freddy
Got a WHM/SMN At about level 41/20 or so. Loved the game, and how the economics worked! I might pick it up alongside you Blood!

When it comes to soloing, the only class that was able to do so back in the days was the beastmaster. Havent played it in years tho, so if it has changed to be more solo friendly then that is good!

Even as a WhiteMage/Summoner I had to wait 1-2hours to even get into a group sometimes, and then getting to the areas they were exping it was a pain in the ass :p

But some of my best MMO memories comes from FFXI.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Got a WHM/SMN At about level 41/20 or so. Loved the game, and how the economics worked! I might pick it up alongside you Blood!

When it comes to soloing, the only class that was able to do so back in the days was the beastmaster. Havent played it in years tho, so if it has changed to be more solo friendly then that is good!

Even as a WhiteMage/Summoner I had to wait 1-2hours to even get into a group sometimes, and then getting to the areas they were exping it was a pain in the ass :p

But some of my best MMO memories comes from FFXI.

Heh sounds good :p finally got mine sorted after reading a guide on how to setup an account (yes really) no idea why they have to over complicate a registration process as opposed to just adding a cd-key like normal mmo's.

See you in 10 hours anyway while it patches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom