Film Film of the Year?

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
The year is drawing to an end I can't see anymore big films due for release so......what do you think is the years best film? There hasn't been many but on my short list would be -

Wanted, really surprised me, very good film.
Bourne Ultimatum, loved the others but this was just awesome.
Orpanage, Spanish film that is truly upsetting and weird.
Pans Labyrinth (was that this year?), another fairytale inspired film from Guillermo del Toro.(wasn't this year but thats when I saw it)
Hellboy 2, loved the first one and this one was even better, same as Pans Labyrinth Guillermo del Toro seems to add fairytale elements into all his films.

But the film of the year for me has to be The Dark Knight, Heath Ledger made this film his own, he was totally amazing in every way possible and to me when I watched it it felt like I was watching Brandon Lee in the first Crow film, they just seemed to be perfect for the role.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
aye, El Orfanato was awesome, scary and sad.

that's the only film I have seen this year that I rated, even though it's from 2007. Though I did also see Wanted. Mëh.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I'd say Dark Knight, In Bruges, and I actually enjoyed Iron Man a lot. Wanted was nowhere near as good as the comic. Bourne was 2007 and I think Pan's Labrynth was 2006!

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
The Orphanage was weird but I didn't really like it, especially when it was hyped up to be the scariest film since The Shining (was it fuck...).

I really like Wanted, susprisingly very good.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Ironman was much better than expected, dark knight was good.

Zack and Miri which just came out is very good.

Blah.

I'm going to go with a Korean film from 2006 which I just saw though.

No Mercy for the Rude.

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
Oooh, didn't know Wanted was based on a comic, I'll go search for that puppy.

I'm watching Dark Knight now, and considering I'm not a Batman fan, it's not a bad movie at all.

Iron Man rocked, never really followed the Iron Man story, but now, it's on my 'to do' list.

I must admit, there's not really been anything this year (or in recent years) that has really grabbed me by the nuts and gone "I'm amazing!"

If I had to pick a movie I'd watch again, it'd probably be Cloverfield.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Iron man was absolute entertainment.
Hulk was good, but not hulk good.
Dork Knight, well, nice to see joker finally, hopefully see more. Otherwise rather drag of a movie.
Wanted, angie jongie is just luvvable with guns.
Hellboy 2, brilliant. Where's 3?
Pans labormint, freaky sh*t, but fun.

Umm....there's been quite good ones. More of a "non-boom" year and a year of sequals, much like in games.

Damini

Part of the furniture
Hulk was feaces smeared ballbags. It was an appalling film.

Wanted was pretty meh. Interesting fight scenes, but deep as a paper cut.

Iron Man was excellent fun, Batman was amazing.

Best film for me though Was Lives of Others (though its an earlier film, took a while filtering across the sea to me)

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Loved Iron Man more that i thought, sometimes the hype kills a film, but Iron man didn't have all that, so it was good

On the other hand Dark Knight lived up to the hype, but for me its a toss up between High School Musical 3 and Mamma Mia..............Haa Haa Haa

Seriously, its Juno or the Bourne Ultimatum for me

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Bourne ultimatum was out in 2007 (got it for Christmas last year)

Not a lot this year really, lots of pap.

Trem

del Toro is an overrated shitbag.

Not if you rate him he isn't, and I do rate him.

Forgot about Iron Man, great film but not as good as Dark Knight for me.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Wall-E was fantastic, as was Taken. Iron Man was very enjoyable as well. I haven't seen the Dark Knight yet so can't comment. Wanted, as Damini said, lacked depth and was generally not memorable.

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
My top movies of this year so far, in no particular order:

Wall-E
I loved this yay for animated robots!

Ironman
I thought Ironman was great, I hope they make a sequel, although I now need to rewatch the cartoons ;)

Dark Knight
Loved the grittyness.

Max Payne
Freakishly good :)

I want to include Quantum of Solace, but well... I can't...

I'm looking forward to transporter 3... but that might just be me...

Trem

Wall-E was fantastic, as was Taken. Iron Man was very enjoyable as well. I haven't seen the Dark Knight yet so can't comment. Wanted, as Damini said, lacked depth and was generally not memorable.

Cally you giant cowbag, where you been luv?

Max Payne
Freakishly good :)

Honestly? Did you honestly like Max Payne?

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
How can you lot be going on about Pan's Labyrinth, it came out in bloody 2006 :p

Trem

How can you lot be going on about Pan's Labyrinth, it came out in bloody 2006 :p

Because thats when I saw it.

My brain ain't what it used to be.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Just got back from Quantum of Solace, thought it was very good

Uara

Part of the furniture
Just got back from Quantum of Solace, thought it was very good

I agree, after hearing all the critics completely destroying it, i went in with quite a low opinion. But I really enjoyed it, 90mins of pure entertainment!!

Ono

Part of the furniture
Dark Knight was great.
Kung Fu Panda

I also had a soft spot for Tropic Thunder due to the sillyness.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Dark Knight was good but the mobile phone thing at the end trashed it for me.

Film of the year? Honestly, most films I've seen this year have been shit - including QoS - which only avoided being a waste of time by storming along at such a pace that you didn't have time to dwell on the wankness...

mank!

Part of the furniture
by virtue of the fact both were released here in 2008; no country for old men and juno.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Nothing much sticks out. Bottle Shock was alright, bit of a lightweight story but Alan Rickman and Bill Pullman are both class acts who made the film a good one. Burn After Reading i liked, but i'm a bit biased towards the Coen Brothers. Quite liked How to Lose Friends & Alienate People as well. War, Inc I didn't mind, even though it had Hilary Duff in it.

Oh, and Harold & Kumar 2 of course!

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
FFS Trem Hellboy 2 was a joke.

Dark Knight and Taken were true gems.

I watched Teeth the other day, and as dodgy as it was, took a while to get going then was all over before you know it, i think Jess Weixler played a great role. Not Movie of the year material tho ;)

Midnight Meat Train was pretty good altho the ending went a bit bizarre. Also enjoyed Righteous Kill despite the crap reviews.

Maybe even Pathology and Mirrors should get a mention.

ramathorn

Fledgling Freddie
This is great, I love these threads (if only there was a movies section on these boards!)

Forgetting Sarah Marshall - I laughed my tits off at this.

Chaos Theory - I think it was 2008, not sure....I never seen any publicity around it and it was an excellent movie

Gamorra - Has to be up there for the brutalness

The film I probably enjoyed most (surprisingly more than batman and ironman) was Dan in Real Life......dont know why but since I watched it at the start of the year I have watched it like another five times, I would find it hard sitting through Batman or Ironman again

Jai13

Fledgling Freddie
imo it has to be Taken or Dark night. Ledger is immense as Joker and Ekhart isn't worse than good, particulary after the burns. the only dissapointment has to be the end. so predicatable and too hollywood imo.
Taken i watched to waste some time and ended up loving it. Good story line and well acted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom