Film Film of The Year 2017

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
That time of year again. A subjective list based on what I've seen. I've not included kids' films, with one exception, and there's still a couple of films I might try to squeeze in this year (JLA, but I have low expectations, and Jumani, which seems to be getting rave reviews).

Alien: Covenant

2/10. Stupid in every way that matters

American Made

7/10 I didn’t love it (and the trailer made me want to) but it was enjoyable. I’m not sure how many more times I can watch someone play Pablo Escobar though; this is third (fourth?) in the last couple of years.

Atomic Blonde

6/10 A bit disappointing, but watchable. And I liked the late 80s timeframe.

Baby Driver

8/10 loved this. Did something that should be quite cliched really well, and will probably the last thing we ever see Kevin Spacey in.

The Big Sick

6/10. It had heart but its supposed to be a comedy and it wasn’t really funny.

Blade Runner 2049

8/10. Visually top two of the year, Ryan Gosling is brilliant in it, but it left me cold.

The Dark Tower

4/10. Thin.

Detroit

9/10. This is a powerful film, highly recommended.

Dunkirk

8/10. Ties with Blade Runner for the visuals but also for leaving me a bit cold. The time cut narrative was ultimately distracting, and I think I’d have preferred a wider “Bridge Too Far” treatment of the subject, but that wasn’t the film Nolan wanted to make.

The Fate of The Furious

3/10. I usually cut these a lot of slack, but…a submarine?

Free Fire

9/10. I didn’t know anything about this and I absolutely loved it. Reservoir Dogs for the 21st century. Nearly my favourite of the year.

Ghost in The Shell

4/10. I’m not invested in the original (I’m not a much of a manga fan), but even I could see this was doing it a disservice.

GotG2

6/10. It has its moments, but I didn’t love it the way I did the first one.

The Man With The Iron Heart

7/10. I preferred this (slightly) to the other Heydrich movie, Anthropoid.

John Wick 2

7/10 Still fun, and I still like the mythology they’re building.

King Arthur Legend of The Sword

2/10. Turd in every way.

Kingsman: Golden Circle

6/10. Got to be honest, a bit disappointed. I’m not sure the idea has much life left in it.

Kong: Skull Island

5/10. I liked bits of it (mainly John C. Reilly) but it suffers from the same “needs idiots to move the plot forward” issue as Alien.

Lego Batman

8/10. May be my favourite Batman of all.

Logan

7/10. Docking it points because I thought the end was a bit weak.

Logan Lucky

7/10 Pretty good and Daniel Craig is a bit of a revelation in it.

The Mummy

3/10. Kill it with fire...

PoTC: Dead Men Tell No Tales

2/10 ...But save some of the fire for this.

Spider-Man Homecoming

8/10 A pretty good year for the MCU and for once a villain that wasn’t just a one dimensional mirror of the hero.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

6/10 (and I’m being generous). It had some good spectacle (the fight in Snoke’s throne room, the warp kamikaze), but loads of stupid shit, and frankly a good hour of it was dull. But I did like the final battle.

Thor: Ragnarok

10/10 In a strong year for the MCU, my favourite, and probably my favourite of all the MCU movies (perhaps tied with Winter Soldier). Its not perfect (Hela doesn’t get enough to do) but I haven’t just enjoyed a movie so much in ages. Laugh out loud funny as well.

T2 Trainspotting

8/10. On first viewing I’d have given it a six and accused it of being a flabby excuse for Danny Boyle to get the band back together, but I watched it again and liked it a lot more. It speaks to men my age and very few films do that.

Valerian &The City of a Thousand Planets

5/10. Its got some amazing stuff and ideas in it, real originality. But there’s barely a plot, and what there was I didn’t really care about. I was hoping for a latter day 5th Element, but it doesn’t have a tenth of that film’s heart.

Wonder-Woman

6/10. I liked It a lot on first viewing but it didn’t really hold my interest for a second time.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Been a shit year for films.

War for the planet of apes, probably and that was only an 8 at best.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Been a shit year for films.

War for the planet of apes, probably and that was a

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
8 at best.

Forum is teh broken this morning.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Free Fire

9/10. I didn’t know anything about this and I absolutely loved it. Reservoir Dogs for the 21st century. Nearly my favourite of the year.

T2 Trainspotting

8/10. On first viewing I’d have given it a six and accused it of being a flabby excuse for Danny Boyle to get the band back together, but I watched it again and liked it a lot more. It speaks to men my age and very few films do that.

Agree with both these scores, Free Fire is definitely up there amongst my favourites for the year and I thought T2 did it just right and has some really strong scenes (I loved the bit in the Protestant pub).

Going to have to put my thinking cap on and decide what was my favourite film this year.....

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Not seen most of those :(

Paddington 2 was pretty good tbh. My Little Pony was OK.

I don't think taking the kids to Mother sounds like a good idea...

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Not seen most of those :(

Paddington 2 was pretty good tbh. My Little Pony was OK.

I don't think taking the kids to Mother sounds like a good idea...

Yes don't do that.

Gwadien

Actually, if your youths are of the male sort then it might be a good idea because then you can spin it. (You'll know what I mean once you watch it.)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
9yo boy and 6yo girl. I'm thinking Ferdinand may be a safer option.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yeah, don't let your kids watch Mother. They will just call you a cunt that makes them watch shit films.

I mean, its terrible. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, but not in a cool way, in a way that some suit, somewhere wants it to. It basically, asks a question, what if corporate Hollywood tried to imagine random.

Last edited:

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Just watched atomic blonde and i think its one of the better films of the year that i have seen.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Guardians was as good as Thor imo. Paddington 2 was as good as the first (which I loved). Atomic Blonde was middle of the road (Spider-Man and Wonder Woman rated better). Bottom of the pile was Justice League and under EP 8.... i came out of the cinema clueless, the highlight being the porg’s impression of Chewie... :/

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I loved Bladerunner 2049, as a huge fan of the original it could have gone either way, but i think they did a great job.

I think they can leave it there too, it doesn't need adding to

Paddington 2 was brilliant too, lets have some more of those

JBP|

Part of the furniture
I'll chuck IT in to the mix with a score of 4.5 (Half a film = Half the points).

Gwadien

Overlord is an excellent film it's basically a film version of Wolfenstein.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom