fibre queries

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
so contemplating the fibre , and wondering about placement

afaik it has to be on the "master socket" of the phone line
which in my case is front of house, downstairs. pc is upstairs, back of house

so how would i go about sorting this ?
is there any way to change the socket it uses ? would it need an extension, is there a limit to this distance-wise ?

any other general info ? :(

i r confuse

dysfunction

FH is my second home
You could always use power line adaptors to get the internet to the pc upstairs or use wifi.

Mabs

You could always use power line adaptors to get the internet to the pc upstairs or use wifi.

what is this thing you speak of ? and wifi isnt really an option for gaming etc, dont think its reliable :(

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
I was in the same situation so I bought a NETGEAR - WN2500RP-100UKS Universal WiFi Range Extender. Easy to set up and it gives anything connected to it a reliable connection. My Xbox connects to it via a Ethernet cable and the PC and phone via WiFi, both works great.

Mabs

aah sweet, id seen those before wasnt sure if they were a bit gimmicky, only other question, are those limited on connections, or do you need to get 1 per item ?
currently got 2 pcs, 2 laptops, so would that be 4 plugs or would i need to run a router of some sort off of one to split them up ?

Mabs

outstanding, cheers folks !

Poag

m00?
Devolo are the PLAs i use exclusively, had trouble with the BT/Netgear ones personally on old wiring in my old house.

However we've just had fibre installed. The master socket in our house is in our bedroom, as we didn't want flashing lights, we back tracked the cable to where it comes in from the road. The BT engineer quite happily split the cable there, put a new socket in, re connected the old master as slave.

80Mbps/20Mbps pretty much a perfect connection :)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
CAT5 is good for up to around 100m I think so just do what you are doing now.

My fibre is fibre to the cabinet, copper to the house so when I got it installed I didn't need to do anything. The engineer changed the phone socket but for all intents and purposes it was the same thing.

We just have the one socket in the house in the living room, where the PC is. I ripped all the others out to squeeze out that extra few kb when I was on 1.5meg...sat on 76.5down /20 something up now.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
so contemplating the fibre , and wondering about placement

is there any way to change the socket it uses ?

My parents have just have just had fibre installed, and yes: BT can change the socket that the modem plugs into. They gave my dad the option of fitting it to the downstairs socket or fiddling the wires so that the modem could be plugged in upstairs. This involved changing the plate on the wall though so unsure how that works if you still need to plug a phone in.

It will require an engineer visit.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
As Raven said, I just have a giant network cable from the modem (attached to wall next to main socket) going to to the BT HH router, then a 1Gbit switch is connected to the router / rest of my shit

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
You can buy flat cat6 cable - it might be worth a look - its flat enough to run under skirting boards, edges of carpets etc. without looking conspicuous.

Another thing to consider, some of the newer powerlines have a 1Gb interface - that doesn't mean that you'll get this speed, but potentially they can go above 100 Mega bits per sec for internal file transfers and other internal network activities - if you decide to go this route, you would need a 1Gb switch or router to partner the whole thing.

You do need to be careful with powerlines - sometimes they don't perform well - in my house I bridge the front and the back of the house which are on separate internal rings and the quality never goes above 50%. If I turn on some chargers on (apple iPad charger is bad for this), the signal quality drops from 50% to about 25% (thats about 12-14 Mega Bytes per sec to about 4-7 MBps).

I was wondering if it would be ok to route cat6 cable around the outside of the house - sky satelite do this sort of thing all the time and if your not adverse to climbing ladder, its a pretty easy and clean solution.

Gups

One of Freddy's beloved
CAT5 is good for up to around 100m I think so just do what you are doing now.

Cat5e is good for 100m However remeber hte patch leads. Normal testing and for certification needs ( i know thats not needed here) they say 90m MAX to allow for patch leads at each end.

Wifi / Power lines.... They are all just get you buys....

If you can run a cable run a cable. You cant beat a bit of copper...... Unless you run a fibre ring in your house :)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Power line adaptors are more than sufficient for anything you would use the pc for.

I get my full download speed on my bt 75mb fibre broadband. No problems gaming or streaming hd movies on it etc..

Gups

One of Freddy's beloved
Yes true for a single PC, If your on the same ring main and there isnt too much inteference on the power line.

first thing you learn about Network cabling is that power and data do not mix..

There is a reason that they always run seperate routes and use seperate containment, to segregate power and data :)

But yes powerlines do work if your stuck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom