FFXI or DaoC?

Fedaykin

Fledgling Freddie
i havnt been playing daoc for ages (if youve seen any of my chars it was my little bro) i've tried and left SWG, should i give ffXI a go or just cut my losses and come back to daoc?

i have a 36 2h arms i wanna get upto 50

but then again.. is it even worth it?

katt!

Fledgling Freddie
i got a ffxi account for sale if you are interested :X

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
There's no point in NOT trying FFXI. Buy it and use the free trial month.

IMO it's better than daoc, but then quite a few people 'round here like daoc more than I do.

Thorarin

Fledgling Freddie
Anyone that can be arsed to do a little more in depth comparison?
I'm not looking for an essay, but just a few points you think are important in determining your opinion when choosing between these two games..

So far I haven't heard a lot of good things about FFXI.

Belsameth

Tainted
I'm interested as well, as I'm still looking for a game that can replace DAoC.

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Belsameth said:
I'm interested as well, as I'm still looking for a game that can replace DAoC.

from what I have heard about FFXI, it will never really have any PvP like in the sense daoc has. I think DE would be a better bet for replacing DAoC or if that fails WoW.

k9awya

Can't get enough of FH
ffxi as a pve game pisses all over daoc.

there is no pvp as of yet and imo feeling the diff classes and game style and seeing the classes .. adding pvp to a 100% pve designed game with these classes, eeee, dont think it will work at all, not very well anyway.

will take you over a year to level high.

the economy and buy/sell/auction system rocks too.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
It's hard for me to do a comparison because I despise everything that is daoc.

Also hard for me to talk about FFXI, because I haven't got beyond the solo levels. Buy it and play the 30 day free trial :)

Thorarin

Fledgling Freddie
ST^ said:
Also hard for me to talk about FFXI, because I haven't got beyond the solo levels. Buy it and play the 30 day free trial :)

How did you manage to fit 'buy' and 'free trial' into the same sentence? ;)
I've seen it in the stores here for 79 Euros, which is just ridiculous imo..

katt!

Fledgling Freddie
soloing in ffxi sucks moo. and you will be doing it to 10-12 smth. its like 1-5 in daoc, except it lasts 10 times longer :x

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
What, you mean you OT campers actually play these games?

How do you find the time between posts ? :touch:

Belsameth

Tainted
that's quite a shame, as indeed 1-5 are utter horror. then again, it was fun the first time through :D

as for the free trial, I wager they mean the marketing scam most mmog's use so they can up the price for the piece of software you bought :p

Driwen: I always disliked PvP so that's no problem. not if the PvE is good, at least, and there's a sense of purpose in the game (unlike SW:G which was great, except there was nothing to do but level)

katt!

Fledgling Freddie
groups in ffxi are pretty cool though, skillchains etc and the exp is pretty fast even in semi-gimped groups.

the problem is that the lowbie zones have a way to high player/mob ratio :p

Belsameth

Tainted
aah yes, that reminds me of Camlann in the first few days. utter chaos, tho an absolute laugh riot :)

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Belsameth said:
that's quite a shame, as indeed 1-5 are utter horror. then again, it was fun the first time through :D

as for the free trial, I wager they mean the marketing scam most mmog's use so they can up the price for the piece of software you bought :p

Driwen: I always disliked PvP so that's no problem. not if the PvE is good, at least, and there's a sense of purpose in the game (unlike SW:G which was great, except there was nothing to do but level)

from what I have heard the quests in FFXI are really nice and check their own site about conquest bit. I think that is something that gets added in the PvP patch (which should be there soon or already ST/K9 should prolly know more?).

katt!

Fledgling Freddie
conquest is not pvp afaik.

if you have alot of chars from your nation(or whatever its called) killing stuff in that zone, you will gain influence over it. if you become the leading nation you can bind at the entrances etc.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
They say pvp will be conquest related... what that means I have no idea.

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
katt! said:
conquest is not pvp afaik.

if you have alot of chars from your nation(or whatever its called) killing stuff in that zone, you will gain influence over it. if you become the leading nation you can bind at the entrances etc.

PvP is Coming!

The update schedule for FINAL FANTASY XI was announced at the Tokyo Game Show on September 26th. Big news included the addition of conquest-related player vs. player battles (not PK) and new limbo areas. More details to come

It depends on your view, it is in a way PvP as you have a conquest versus other players (allthough indirectly). Anyway FFXI talked about a PvP patch, so thats why I used the word like that :).

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
I bought it fairly cheap in Canada (after I managed to claim the tax back ofc!) and I plan to play it and see for myself in the New Year.

After reading through the booklet, it seems very interesting, altho the idea of over 4 hours to install and register does put me off slightly - it comes with 5 disks!

I remember Blithering Idiot saying he liked it because it wasn't addictive like DAoC. It's a game you can pick up and put down whenever you feel like. That can be a good or a bad thing, really, I guess. For those addicted to DAoC - do you have the willpower to give it up?!

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Heheh mine too. I don't think I'm ready to give up DAoC full time yet, prehaps I'll get a second computer so I can sit and craft on one and play other new games on the other!

Tilda

I have a copy of FFXI for sale, 1 month subs paid too.

Fedaykin

Fledgling Freddie
why the hell was this bumped

oO

tilda stop bumping old threads

i chose daoc ;(

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
I chose life and a new tv!

(actually I just chose to sit on these forums for the rest of my natural life :x )

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
if u like pve and r extremely bored of daoc give ffxi a shot... if ure big into pvp then w8 for WoW or DE imho

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
FFXI was good for a few days. If you like PvE then buy it. It wasn't really my thing though, it was like a single player game that had been badly converted into a multiplayer one.

If you do buy it, just remember the golden rule.
Always join groups with Japanese people. Never join groups with Americans.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Uhhh yeah Dill... join a Japanese group and have no idea what they're talking about, how they're going to play, how you're supposed to be playing... it rarely works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom