Ferrari Ultimatum

ECA

I am a FH squatter
What a bunch of whiny bitches.
If they were leading the championship right now would they really be crying?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
That's what I thought when I saw the article.

Sounds a bit "it's my ball and I'm going home".

Chilly

Balls of steel
Why do they feel they have to QQ to the papers about it? Cant they just have a meeting with mosley and tell him to sort his shit out? The budget cap is clearly bollox, it would balls the sport up.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The budget cap is clearly bollox, it would balls the sport up.

That depends 'cause running £500m teams is prohibitive to entry. I think it'd make for a better spectacle with six or eight more cars.

It's not 40m tho, it's 40m with less restrictions, which is shit. It needs a level playing field.

They should have a 99m cap and leave it at that. If Ferrari can't come up with something competetive for that they should quit :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
If they go then great, I can't stand them as a team.. Kimi is great but I really dislike Massa.

Having said that he judged that fuel pretty well in Spain.. I think he ran out on the 3rd corner after he crossed the line. I was angry at the time though, was hoping for a double DNF for Ferrari. :(

Embattle

FH is my second home
I'm in favour of the cap, although I do think it needs some refinement to make it work.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I'm in favour of not having any more F1. The sport died with Senna IMO.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I remember watching that live on TV when he slammed into the wall, I was 14 at the time. Tragic.

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
I remember that day because it was the day we had our house burgled and it was the last time I saw my Grandad.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Sorry had to laugh at that one.

The thing to remember is that there has always been a two-tier, the difference is that it will no longer favour the big spenders.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
The budget cap is clearly bollox, it would balls the sport up.

no it wouldn't, because having a budget cap would mean that more teams would concider entering that dont have a multi billion euro company to back it up.

and theres no rule that says that this budget cant be busted, its just that those that stick to it will get benefits over those that wont.

so if ferarri and the other QQ'ers wants to spend a billion € on their teams theres nothing stopping them, but they wont get any of the benefits.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
no it wouldn't, because having a budget cap would mean that more teams would concider entering that dont have a multi billion euro company to back it up.

and theres no rule that says that this budget cant be busted, its just that those that stick to it will get benefits over those that wont.

so if ferarri and the other QQ'ers wants to spend a billion € on their teams theres nothing stopping them, but they wont get any of the benefits.

But that's where we end up with an uneven playing field regardless of cash. The teams opting in will be given what is seen to be an unfair number of advantages in the rules - 2k more RPM limit, more flexibility on wing design and more testing. I don't disagree with the idea of a budget cap to encourage other teams to take part, but the way this is being thrust at the sport is badly thought out.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
But that's where we end up with an uneven playing field regardless of cash. The teams opting in will be given what is seen to be an unfair number of advantages in the rules - 2k more RPM limit, more flexibility on wing design and more testing. I don't disagree with the idea of a budget cap to encourage other teams to take part, but the way this is being thrust at the sport is badly thought out.

I actually kinda like it.
It's ended the ferrari and mclaren victory parades while everyone else fights for whats left.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I actually kinda like it.
It's ended the ferrari and mclaren victory parades while everyone else fights for whats left.

Maybe, but they can achieve much the same with a budget cap which is just better thought out...

ECA

I am a FH squatter
This seems to have snowballed and it seems that

Ferrari
Red Bull
Toyota
Renault

is the list of teams threatening to withdraw next year under current proposals.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Although I think a lot have different issues with certain points of the plan.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
My proposal would be even simpler.

Max cap of £50million and that is ALL.
No messing around with additional perks or extras or any of that bollocks. You have a budget of £50million for developing, testing and running your cars. If a team doesn't like it... bye bye, nice knowing you. There would be PLENTY of other teams lining up to take the vacant places on the grid. By setting the limit at that point, other teams would feel able to compete.

IMO, it all comes down to the "Big Teams" getting pissed off that a smaller, leaner, more agile team are kicking their backsides with a more reliable car. Ferrari spend £LOLmillions on R&D, testing and running their cars, while Brawn are able to outperform them on a much smaller budget.
Ferrari spend more money.
Brawn spend theirs better.

Personally I'd LOVE to see Ferrari walk away from F1. I would be even more impressed if all the OTHER teams walked away from F1 and the FIA altogether and set up their own motor-racing franchise. A1 GP have the right idea of a level playing field...
A1GP is the first opportunity in any area of motorsport for nations to compete on a level playing field. It is a series where technology and innovation are deliberately equalised, making success dependent on human bravery and pure driving skill. Team and driver combine to create a performance advantage and the winning nation raises its flag in celebration.
OFC you don't hear that much about A1 because Formula1 gets all the attention.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
And because A1 races just aren't that fun to watch, and they don't have the drivers we know well racing.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
IMO, it all comes down to the "Big Teams" getting pissed off that a smaller, leaner, more agile team are kicking their backsides with a more reliable car. Ferrari spend £LOLmillions on R&D, testing and running their cars, while Brawn are able to outperform them on a much smaller budget.
Ferrari spend more money.
Brawn spend theirs better.

I mentioned this in FH-OT but it's worth a mention here too except this time I'll back it up with some statistics (their validity can be argued but I cba to research something I already know...again).

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2008/09/22/toyota-has-biggest-f1-budget-4456m/

Brawns car was born from 18 months of development (as Honda, this isn't a brand new car...); without knowing exactly their expenditure this year, lets assume they have spent not one single penny this year so far. That's still nigh on $400 million in general running costs last year for which all development emphasis was placed on their new car which you now see as Brawn GP.

Ferrari, with a similar budget, began development at the end of the year, along with McLaren so have had a lot less time and money spent on their cars. In what, 6 months of development? With a simialr budget, they've had the equivalent of around half that amount of money/time spent... and remember this isn't taking into consideration and developments done so far this year from Brawn. Interestingly, other articles also show that Ferrari have been the most money-per-point efficient team in 2007/2008.

I'm not necessarily a defender of Ferrari, I just think this natural hatred some people seem to have of them, blinds them from simple truths... not much unlike other sports I guess ;)

I'd also like to see A1 type races in formula 1... maybe it's something they could add on fridays for half points :D

Personally I'm much more impressed with Red Bull though, noting their income.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom