[RANT] Feeling a bit ripped off by EA right now

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
They still got a chance to fix it through, as I raised a ticket in their support page.

Besides the first part of my ticket, which is obviously about when I get beta/headstart codes delivered, the 2nd part is actually why I feel ripped off by them right now.

I went to the EA store to buy Warhammer online from a link here, and I KNOW the price on the page was 40 quid when I ordered. Thats fine, I don't mind paying 40 quid for a game.
So I pre-ordered it.
My email confirmation put the price in DKK through, as 399,95DKK (or 400DKK for simplicity)
Now, I hear UK customers got a 5 quid discount, even if they purchased when the price was 40 quid, they now get it for 35 quid.
Cool, so I waited for my discount letter... nothing...
So, I went to make the ticket and then I figured I would actually find out what the current exchange rate was, because 1quid = 10DKK is just a more or less figure..

the price of 35 quid is equal to 321DKK... meaning that I am paying nearly 80DKK to much compared to if I had gotten the same deal as those who purchased from the same page I did and just filled in their country as UK instead of Denmark.
What a load, no discount on danish version of the site yet, so perhaps they aren't even giving the discount to danish people.
But I feel ripped off that I am being cheated out of a 20% discount that I should have received, if I had gotten it on the same terms as someone who listed country as UK

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
£5 out of £40 is an 8th off so that makes it a 12.5% discount not the 20% your say.

but it still agree its a bit of a bummer.

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
£5 out of £40 is an 8th off so that makes it a 12.5% discount not the 20% your say.

but it still agree its a bit of a bummer.

Dark Orb Choir, you don't get what I am saying.

I know 5 out of 40 is 1/8th.

But I checked out the exchange rate, which makes 34,95 quid = 321DKK
And instead of charging me 40 quid, they actually converted it themselves at rate 10 and charged me 400DKK

So where a person choosing UK as their country from the drop-down menu while paying ended up paying the equal to 321 DKK, I ended up having to pay 400 DKK because I picked Denmark.

321 is 79 lower than 400.

80 out of 400 = 40 out of 200 = 20 out of 100 = 20%

It is actually an increase in price of 24,6% because I choose Denmark in a drop-down menu.
I didn't go to the Danish EA store and order, nope, I purchased through the UK EA store, so why they put me on different terms and payment, I got no bloody idea

EDIT: Increase of 24,6% as 79 compared to 321 = 24,6%, so they charging me 24,6% more for being from DK instead of UK, which oddly is just 0,4% from our danish VAT, which shouldn't be applied to purchases done within the EU, so that can't be the reason

sp4nky

Fledgling Freddie
Well thats strange as I bought it from there site for £39.99 and they mailed me yesterday saying they would refund the difference now its £35. That was without me even having to ask for it, they did it off there own back.

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
Well thats strange as I bought it from there site for £39.99 and they mailed me yesterday saying they would refund the difference now its £35. That was without me even having to ask for it, they did it off there own back.

Excatly what I would have expected to happen...

Are you from UK or, like me, from Denmark?

Because if you are from Denmark like me, that would make it really really odd.

Xanthea

Fledgling Freddie
Cant belive you argue about those lousy bucks i got to pay 589 swe for a simple trash version of the game...

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
Cant belive you argue about those lousy bucks i got to pay 589 swe for a simple trash version of the game...

Well, point being that I am threated like a second class customer due to my nationality.

How if you bought it in the store for 589 swe and found out everybody else who bought it there AT THE SAME TIME got it for 471 swe?

Wouldn't you feel ripped off that the other people was given it cheaper than you?

pez

Can't get enough of FH
First the Olympics and now this! W00t, go UK!

MaxxPower

Fledgling Freddie
Even here in the UK we're still paying more than the Americans.
SE recommended price is £34.99 in the UK, and in America it's $49.99, which works out at around £28

Those lucky sods get everything cheaper than us, even stuff that comes from Europe!

Xanthea

Fledgling Freddie
Dont know what everyone is paying but if the US are paying 50$ im paying like 92$ for a standard version.... 589 / 6.40$ = 9x$

No money issue for me however BUT i understand your point, but i never complain when i buy anything IF i want it i pay...

Just think 5 bucks was no biggie, Not sure what you meant by mention where you come from, think it has more to do with the retailers?

/:ninja:

Aqe

One of Freddy's beloved
Its all exchange rates, you cant complain that you pay more just because your currency is in a low right now compared to € and £. US have to set their prices to normal US ones even though it means it seems very low for us when we change the currency.

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
Argh, okay, people are not getting it...

The point is, I went to EA's UK shop.

But instead of letting me pay in GBP and then my bank doing the exchange, they billed me as if I had used the Danish EA store.

And what I mean is that once you clicked to pay, and clicked for direct download, you had to enter your person details, and thats where I choose Denmark as where I live.

So instead of getting it to 40 quid like the page I ordered from said, they decided that as I live in Denmark, I got to pay the danish price, which is stupid, because we got open borders and danish people are allowed to purchase goods in Great Britian, without added VAT or anything, so why would I want to buy at a higher price from their Danish department, when I specificly went to their English webpage?

And to add to the injury of making me pay a different price than what was advertised (I actually first got 399,95DKK shown in the email, it keept on saying £39,99 on the webpage as I ordered) they then gave everybody else who ordered from their website (at least everybody else from the UK) a further discount, and I can't help to wonder why I have to pay more when I purchased the same place.

And it is not really about the money, because if Warhammer had cost 600DKK I would still have payed it, it is about being treated by EA in a very impolite manner, in which they actually violated several trading standards (by showing me 1 price and then charge another, for instance)

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
We're facing economic downturn... Scandinavians have never had an economy. I sure has hell would never trade on the OMX exchanges :p

Lembit

Fledgling Freddie
We're facing economic downturn... Scandinavians have never had an economy. I sure has hell would never trade on the OMX exchanges :p

That was truly one of the most meaningless posts I have ever seen, its right up at the top of the list, together with this reply from me.

Mehuge

One of Freddy's beloved
They still got a chance to fix it through, as I raised a ticket in their support page.

Besides the first part of my ticket, which is obviously about when I get beta/headstart codes delivered, the 2nd part is actually why I feel ripped off by them right now.

I went to the EA store to buy Warhammer online from a link here, and I KNOW the price on the page was 40 quid when I ordered. Thats fine, I don't mind paying 40 quid for a game.
So I pre-ordered it.
My email confirmation put the price in DKK through, as 399,95DKK (or 400DKK for simplicity)
Now, I hear UK customers got a 5 quid discount, even if they purchased when the price was 40 quid, they now get it for 35 quid.
Cool, so I waited for my discount letter... nothing...
So, I went to make the ticket and then I figured I would actually find out what the current exchange rate was, because 1quid = 10DKK is just a more or less figure..

the price of 35 quid is equal to 321DKK... meaning that I am paying nearly 80DKK to much compared to if I had gotten the same deal as those who purchased from the same page I did and just filled in their country as UK instead of Denmark.
What a load, no discount on danish version of the site yet, so perhaps they aren't even giving the discount to danish people.
But I feel ripped off that I am being cheated out of a 20% discount that I should have received, if I had gotten it on the same terms as someone who listed country as UK

I how your message to them didn't include the word cancel in any context anywhere in the text :)

Ogen

One of Freddy's beloved
Just learn to use D2D.. There, its 35 for everyone in the EU.. And the price dropped to 32, so thats what it costs there now. Plus, i got my OB key like 2 weeks ago from them.

Top service, and i dont even have to use the mussles in my arm, to put a DVD into my PC ;)

32quid, for: game, OB acces, Pre launch and bonus items..

Seems cheap.

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
I how your message to them didn't include the word cancel in any context anywhere in the text :)

Absolutely not.

I asked for an explaination, plain and simple.

I am not bothered for the money, but unless there is a good rational explaination for it, I think EA should reconsider taking different prices from people from different countries within the EU when we are allowed international trading VAT free... I mean, it is a damn download, there is absolutely no reason to make my purchase with DK prices including DK VAT when I ordered from their UK page.

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
Just learn to use D2D.. There, its 35 for everyone in the EU.. And the price dropped to 32, so thats what it costs there now. Plus, i got my OB key like 2 weeks ago from them.

Top service, and i dont even have to use the mussles in my arm, to put a DVD into my PC ;)

Well, again, not that bothered about the money, I made the wrong judgement that the service had to be best at EA due to them being the actual distributor of the game as far as I had understood it; Seems I was wrong, at least about them having the best service.

Not going to cancel as long as I get my beta keys so they are ready for me to play on Monday (working Sunday)

Mehuge

One of Freddy's beloved
(bah 10 minute edit limit expired)

Iceforge said:
But instead of letting me pay in GBP and then my bank doing the exchange, they billed me as if I had used the Danish EA store.

And what I mean is that once you clicked to pay, and clicked for direct download, you had to enter your person details, and thats where I choose Denmark as where I live.

Isn't it all to do with distribution rights, which is ofc engineered exactly so that companies can drain every last penny out of the customer.

Its like having to pay Sky to watch a channel you can view for 1/2 the price in an EU country. The distribution rights in the UK are owned by Sky so that they can charge what they like, and the EU countries have to scramble the transmission so that UK people have to pay Sky prices.

EA Denmark will own the distribution rights for WAR in Denmark I guess and they want to charge what is possibly (I dont know) the going rate for a game of this type in Denmark.

UK (and probably other countries) has exactly the same problem with stuff from the US, very often the price of $99 translates into £99 and its not that it costs more to distribute (yes, there is VAT but that doesnt account for the difference) but its that they get away with doing it because people in the UK keep buying at that price.

Khazoom

Fledgling Freddie
The thing i am most worried about is, I haven't got a single code yet from EA Store, no OB no Headstart. If they don't send codes this friday 05/09, I fear we won't get them at all before OB start. I think a lot of people are going to be seriously pissed at EA for this. :flame:

Is there anyone who ordered from EA Store, who got their codes yet?

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
(bah 10 minute edit limit expired)

Isn't it all to do with distribution rights, which is ofc engineered exactly so that companies can drain every last penny out of the customer.

Its like having to pay Sky to watch a channel you can view for 1/2 the price in an EU country. The distribution rights in the UK are owned by Sky so that they can charge what they like, and the EU countries have to scramble the transmission so that UK people have to pay Sky prices.

EA Denmark will own the distribution rights for WAR in Denmark I guess and they want to charge what is possibly (I dont know) the going rate for a game of this type in Denmark.

UK (and probably other countries) has exactly the same problem with stuff from the US, very often the price of $99 translates into £99 and its not that it costs more to distribute (yes, there is VAT but that doesnt account for the difference) but its that they get away with doing it because people in the UK keep buying at that price.

Well, true.

But if you go to a US based company's webpage and buy a product online without delivery, meaning there is no shipping and handling costs, and they tell you the price is 99$ on their page, you put in your detals, tell you are from UK, you get a confirmation page with 99$ on it, and click confirm.

Then you get an email confirmation of your purchase for £99, would you not feel a bit cheated?

Then add to the injury that they then give US buyers a discount, lets say 10$ so they only have to pay 89$, counting those who already purchased, but you are still stuck paying £99 because the discount is not for you, even through you payed more than everybody else already.

Not excatly the same, due to the difference between 99$ and £99 is a lot more than between between £39,99 and 399,95DKK, actually so little I did not feel cheated right away when I got the email, because I figured they would be quite close to each other (about a £3 to £4 more I had to pay), but then UK customers got a further discount of £5, meaning I was now paying not £3 to £4 more, but between £8 and £9 more than those who ordered from the same bloody webpage as me.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH

you are xxx

please don`t post again in this thread or this forum. any further replay from me will just get me banned. you are not worth that.

Frosty

Fledgling Freddie
D2D cost me £32.99 then i got a email telling me im getting a refund of £3 as its been lowered to £29.99

Although i still think its too much for something you get less from.

Retail with disks and books etc = £29.99 (ive seen some selling for £26.99 including delivery)

Download where you get nothing and you download the files your self should be about = £25.99

As with download they save on despatch of the disks to shops they save on the instructions / disks and boxes

Just my thoughts

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
you are xxx

please don`t post again in this thread or this forum. Any further replay from me will just get me banned. You are not worth that.

lol... what exactly are you planning on replaying?

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
and why exactly am I three x's? Have you seen me in one of my many adult homoerotica?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom