Fav Rap

W

Wij

Who's your fav rap band/artist/kru ?

Personally I luv Wu Tang and I can't be arsed explaining why. You must do me the courtesy of explaining to me. Go boy !

*bleh*

M

mank!

I don't like rap. I do quite like Public Enemy, although haven't heard enough to really comment. I like The Streets though, even if they're garage and not rap.

bling bling!

S

Sir Frizz

Blackstreet, Tupac, DMX and Busta Rhymes.

I like 'cos i can associate with their tuuuunes bwoi!/homie!

M

Munkey-

Wu Tang Clan and Tru i suppose. Does Puff daddys "come with me" count?

and remember, Hoody Hoo! Thats the code for them killas.

M

maxi--

Tupac, NWA, Dre man, they fuckin' smoke.

D

doh_boy

umm I like stuff that has been infulenced by hip-hop more than hip-hop itself. BUT

From what I've heard (not much) I quite like the ultramagnetic MC's :)

Also watch Brown sugar I enjoyed that soundtrack. :D

S

Scooba Da Bass

Wu-Tang; well, you know, it's Wu, original and always with their own style, it helps that RZA is the greatest hip hop producer ever.

ATCQ; Q-Tip, shut up haters, he's the daddy.

Public Enemy; Terminator X and Chuck always lay down some fine beats, and they rapped about more than just being from a ghetto, something their peers forgot (minus points for Griff's anti semitism).

Biggie; from the street but he made you forget that by telling stories that have yet to be paralleled. The Bob Dylan of rap.

More recent rappers;

J5; took rap all the way back to the early 80s, no guns, no swearing, just feel good hip hop that you've got to nod your head to and sing along with.

The holy quadrumvirate of Def Jux; El-P, Cannibal Ox, Mr Lif, and Aesop Rock. El-P of Company Flow is the mastermind behind the label, in the style of James Lavelle but with way more talent. Cannibal Ox and Mr Lif both dropped fantastic albums last year that sound like Hip Hop made way out in space. Finally Aesop Rock, this is the only rapper that is actively challenging Biggie lyricwise. Labor Days is absolutely mindblowing, it's like the next stage in evolution of hip hop, I demand that anyone with even a passing interest in rap checks out the title track. When he's flowing the only rappers that come near to the smoothness are Roots Manuva and Del Tha which takes me onto;

Del Tha Funkee Homosapian; a legend in his own lifetime. He's been involved in the most important albums on the indie side of hip hop; Deltron 3030 is an essential purchase for anyone into rap. He managed to pretty much save the Gorillaz tracks he was involved in, for this alone he deserves recognition.

Prefuse 73; one of the inventors of glitch hop and currently signed to Warp. Imagine a hip hop M83 and you're getting there, imo the brightest young star in hip hop at the moment and his album One Word Extinguisher should be owned by anyone interested in rap and beats beyond the stale funk/soul samples and cliched rhymes; THE GUY USES TRIPLETS AND IMABIC PENTAMETER, don't be sleeping on him.

Asia Born, Lateef and Latryx; the Rappers DJ Shadow uses, do you need to know any more?

Madlib; the star of Stones Throw, the hardest working man in hip hop, and one of the best jazz musicians around. His alter-ego Quasimoto is probably slightly more well known, but Madlib is the only guy Blue Note have ever allowed access to their back catalogue and Shades of Blue is the best free jazz album for years.

MF Doom; the second hardest working man in hip hop, has released 2 albums so far this year and his third is due soon. Producer extroadinaire and capable of a unique and recognisable flow, his only downside is working with other incredibly shit rappers.

Nerd; another fuck all you haters here, Pharrell and Chad have carved out a career as the most wanted remixers currently around by being a hundred times more innovative than anyone else. They can breakdance, they can skateboard, they can bmx, and they can rap superbly.

A slew of honourable mentions go to: Roots Manuva; the only UK rapper to make it in America for years. Mos Def; for making a Craig David song sound good. The Roots; they consistantly produce amazingly soulful albums and helped to produce the only vaguely listenable thing of Jay Z's career by being his band for his MTV Unplugged session. Beastie Boys; it's 1998 and still no one to vote forrrrrrrrrr. Outkast; the only 'dirty south' rappers worth listening to. Ugly Duckling; rap with humour? CAN IT BE?

I've written too much...

W

Wazzerphuk

Jurassic 5

Seriously, only one person on this thread knows about them? :s
If so, that's an outrage: they're incredible. Go get. Now. All 3 albums. Go. On your way noy. Bye!

O

old.Kez

nngh. I have Jurassic 5 LP on CD, and quality control on mp3. They're ok, as far as hip-hop goes, but hip hop generally doesn't tickle my fancy. Still, they're top of the pile, along with much of the Beasties stuff.

M

~Mobius~

I never liked rap. :/

And I just dont get The Streets...he just kind of talks and it doesnt even really have a beat. :p

Give me some Offspring or Tenacious D anyday. :)

C

Ch3tan

Wu Tang are a given, although they have been falling to the way side recently. Just listen to Iron Flag and you will see why.

Rze is truly amazing, and that adds a lot.

Methodman, REdman and Busta spring to mind as good solo artists with strong crews (yes back to wu tang in two of their cases).

Pdiddy may be very commercial and an awful mc himself, but he is still and always has been a very good producer.

I can't stand Timberland these days, he is way to samey samey.

Bubba Sparx first album was very good, I suppose the test will be what he comes up with next.

Eminem, obviously, he continues to grow. He leads me nicely to Dre and Snoop, and everyone linked with them. Ice cube, Warren G and Nate dogg. Not all of them are consistent but they do have tunes that are classics.

KRS one is very good, as are Black Eyed Peas and Dead Pres.

Female hip hop only has one ture star these days and that is Missy. The others just really are pure filth.

Bone Thugs where good, now they are down to two members and sounding bad. I heard a song they did with Phil Collins, by god its awful.

Too many more to mention.

M

Munkey-

Forgot about The Roots but then, do tehy qualify as Rap? I'm not sure. I think Ms Dynamite is excellent, but i have no idea what genre she qualifies. But for those who havent heard it, get Tru - Hoody Hoo, my fav ever.

M

Munkey-

Outkast \o/

Land of a Million drums is great but nothhing cant surpase Ms Jackson

N

nylex23

Don't really like Wu Tang much, prefer Dre, 50 Cent, Xzibit, Cube, Mack 10, etc.

W

Wij

Thank you for your input. I was utterly fucked after two bottles of wine last night. Don't remember posting that at all. I may forward some of your suggestions onto play.com or kazaa later though.

Oh, and I quite like The Streets. Is that bad ? At least I can relate to the lyrics more than gangsta stories.

Time to start fucking drinking again. Chin chin. Alcohol and Jelly Babies is more than enough sustenance for a sturdy youg man of well-bred constitution. We'll show them all !

M

mr.Blacky

I would like to know what the title was of a song of Public Enenemy? It was a cover of a anti-war sixties song, they did it a few years back. I liked the original and I love Public Enenemy's version. Their version had the original singer/composer in it aswell.

Sorry couldn't be bothered making a new thread.

S

Scooba Da Bass

Originally posted by mr.Blacky
I would like to know what the title was of a song of Public Enenemy? It was a cover of a anti-war sixties song, they did it a few years back. I liked the original and I love Public Enenemy's version. Their version had the original singer/composer in it aswell.

They've done Edwin Starr's 'War' a few times, I'd guess you mean that?

R

ReActor

Originally posted by mr.Blacky

I may be way off base here but I think you're referring to 'He Got Game' (that's the title of the Public Enemy song).

As for me, I'm not a big hip-hop buyer, but I absolutely love the Roots. They're top of my list.

I think Hip-hop should be about skill, intricate rhymes and, if possible, interesting topics and messages. I wish more MCs thought that way. I've never understood the preoccupation with essentially worthless things like fast cars, bling bling, whores. Was unfortunate enough to catch some of Tim Westwood's Radio 1 show (a comprehensive guide to all the hip-hop that's NOT worth listening to) and Wyclef Jean was on there talking incessantly about his love of McLaren F1s and his own car dealership. I listened with disbelief for about 10 minutes then turned it off. I mean sure, a McLaren's a great car but so fucking what? Buy it, drive it and shut the fuck up about it.

Mos Def has also done some amazing stuff, particularly with the album Black On Both Sides. Interesting commentary on various things (though mostly race politics).

Tribe Called Quest were also amazing... I love laid back hip-hop with more varied subject matter.

First hip-hop I ever listened to was Cypress Hill, and I still have a soft spot for them. Black Sunday and IV are both excellent albums with a completely unique style. I haven't listened to any of their albums since IV though. Their more recent rap-rock doesn't really appeal to me (although I liked 'Rock Superstar').

I've still not really got into Wu Tang, though I love certain tracks from 36 Chambers and Wu Tang Forever.

I don't really like the bigger selling rappers. 50 is pretty cool, and Eminem has impressed me in the past, but PDiddy, JayZ, Ja Rule... they just piss me off.

S

Scooba Da Bass

Originally posted by ReActor
I may be way off base here but I think you're referring to 'He Got Game' (that's the title of the Public Enemy song).

He Got Game was from the soundtrack to a basketball film they scored.

L

leggy

Starring Denzel, written by Spike Lee.

Wasn't very good though :)

(Spot the SL heathen)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom