Father of Frodo goes to court...

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
Well, if the claim by Tolkeins trust fund is true, then New Line Cinema should pay up ASAP.

Azurus

Can't get enough of FH
Can't, I hope was the word you was looking for? With 6bil income, 150mil should be easy to pay

Sarcasm

1: a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain2 a: a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b: the use or language of sarcasm

echome

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm I would like to see The Children of Húrin as a movie aswell... TBH I think most of his books would work great as movies aswell.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
The Silmarillion is my personal favourite out of Tolkein's work. I much prefer it to Lord of the Rings.

However, its somewhat of an acquired taste. Appeals to Tolkein fans, but has never has sold anywhere near the volumes of Hobbit & LOTR

aika

Can't get enough of FH
agree with Lamp, give cinematic version of the battle of nirnaeth arnoediad

tierk

Part of the furniture
I think it would be very difficult to make the Silmarillion books (it is after all a collection of books and stories) into a movie as the span of time the book is covering and the huge number of characters make it literally impossible to make without seriously pissing off large segments of the Tolkien fans.

However, for me also this book was as good if not better then the LOTR but then i am biased as i read this one long before i ever read LOTR.

agree with Lamp, give cinematic version of the battle of nirnaeth arnoediad

I think that the stories in there offer some seriously epic scenes for a movie. Fingolfins battle verses Morgoth or slaying of Glaurang. Escape from Gondolin as well with Glorfindels slaying of Gothmog (?) Battles galore as well but for me the best must be the Fingolfin vs Morgoth fight TRULY EPIC

Ezteq

Queen of OT
tbh i hope peter sodding jackson doesnt get his claws in to the hobbit, he made a total chewed bollock of the LoTR.

I read the book and i loved the whole thing, no part of it bored me or made me cringe, i couldnt put the sodding thing down and actually bunked a few days off work just to continue reading it.

the movies, i saw the first one at the cinema, 2 and 3 at home and spent most of the time bored, looking at the clock or wanting to smack the hobbits upside the head for doing those stupid big princess diana eyes looks at eachother. I know loads of people love the films but personally i thought the animated version was far superior and the book kicked everything out of orbit.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
No film of the Silmarillion can ever do it justice.

You can imagine them filming Illuvutar creating the world. Somewhere they'll be some dumb American written in to the script whos watching it unfold going "Oh my God, thats like so totally cool, dude. Did you see the dog fart ?"

No No No No No

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
tbh i hope peter sodding jackson doesnt get his claws in to the hobbit, he made a total chewed bollock of the LoTR.
I loved the movies as the movies they are. I loved the books as the books they are.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
the LotR films were an alright adventure, when watched back to back and haven't read the books.(no i won't).

If these follow-ups, or like the usual EA/sequel/remake criticholes would say "cash cows", come out, i most likely will watch them, but more likely just borrow the DVD and watch it from ze couch.

The whole LotR story though, not gonna go there as this place holds too many fans.

*waits a moment*

It was semi-rubbish really, wasn't it? Ofcourse corny as hell as its some old old text, but come on...it's hardly THAT good a story. Fine movie, worth watching, but that's about it really.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
the LotR films were an alright adventure, when watched back to back and haven't read the books.(no i won't).

If these follow-ups, or like the usual EA/sequel/remake criticholes would say "cash cows", come out, i most likely will watch them, but more likely just borrow the DVD and watch it from ze couch.

The whole LotR story though, not gonna go there as this place holds too many fans.

*waits a moment*

It was semi-rubbish really, wasn't it? Ofcourse corny as hell as its some old old text, but come on...it's hardly THAT good a story. Fine movie, worth watching, but that's about it really.

read the books.

oh wait... you wont.

:touch:

aika

Can't get enough of FH

*waits a moment*

yes lets base an opinion on a movie that covered maybe 20% of the depth of the books.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
read the books.

oh wait... you wont.

:touch:

Exacty. I hate it when people say "but but, you need to read the WHOLE story". To be honest, if that was the "best parts" even of the story, it's not that appealing. Personal opinion.

But, if past experience has thought me nothing else, this is most likely answered with "But you have to read the books to appreciate it."

Which leads to a whole lot of but, if, and, so, argh, bang head table and so forth. Not everyone has to think of it that highly.

yes lets base an opinion on a movie that covered maybe 20% of the depth of the books.

Yes, let's, because i can't bloody well judge the whole story, by the story in the movie, when talking about the movie, now can i?

The thing is, i'm not judging the whole story, i'm judging the story that was IN the movies.

Sure, there might be 80% more in the books, the books may be golden logs from the a-hole of bealsebub himself...BUT...the story in the movies, and the movies, have been said to be the greatest thing since parted meatcurtains, and i frankly just didn't see it.

Helme

Resident Freddy
The Silmarillion is my personal favourite out of Tolkein's work. I much prefer it to Lord of the Rings.

However, its somewhat of an acquired taste. Appeals to Tolkein fans, but has never has sold anywhere near the volumes of Hobbit & LOTR

Same here, problem I would see with Silmarillion is that it's very, very complicated to get it right. You would need like 6-7 3 hour movies to not totally butcher the story, and the story is a lot more complicated than Lord of the Rings. Making the American audience standing clueless, obviously.

tierk

Part of the furniture
..... To be honest, if that was the "best parts" even of the story, it's not that appealing. Personal opinion.......

Firstly, if i want your opinion, i will give it to you!! :D
Secondly, name me one film, any genre, that remorely comes close to the books that they are based on?

Thirdly, errr, uhmm, aaaah, ooh yes, go and help Dukat pass the next five hours or so on his "Save Dukat's LunCh" thread.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Firstly, if i want your opinion, i will give it to you!! :D
Secondly, name me one film, any genre, that remorely comes close to the books that they are based on?

Thirdly, errr, uhmm, aaaah, ooh yes, go and help Dukat pass the next five hours or so on his "Save Dukat's LunCh" thread.

Firstly, my opinion weighs as much as yours, jack sh*ts worth and he's on a diet.

Second, Well...do comic-movies count? And Eragon was pretty darn close.

But that's not the point, i was discussing the story, as seen by someone, who has not read the books.

And no, an acceptable solution isn't "read the books" or "but it's not as good as the books". The story in the MOVIES is a bit, you know, bollocks.

Third, i have, what have you done for Dukie lately?!(RAW reference, all who know, i appreciate you...bit more.)

tierk

Part of the furniture
.....But that's not the point, i was discussing the story, as seen by someone, who has not read the books.....

Its the reason why you wont appreciate just how good the film is. I am not saying go read the book, as its a monster size and will probably take a age to get through the first time. There is a lot of stuff in the book that i would have to say are fucking unbelievably boring at times, however, the attention to detail in the film to the orignal books is what makes these movies so good.

Peter Jackson managed to put onto the screen exactly what i had in my mind whenever i read those books (have done them cover2cover many many times). I dont know about the rest of the people but that is what makes this film so great.

Apart from a few liberties taken with the orignal script (changes from the book for those dont get what i mean) its pretty much accurate and for a book that is over 1500 pages long that is awesome.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Its the reason why you wont appreciate just how good the film is. I am not saying go read the book, as its a monster size and will probably take a age to get through the first time. There is a lot of stuff in the book that i would have to say are fucking unbelievably boring at times, however, the attention to detail in the film to the orignal books is what makes these movies so good.

Peter Jackson managed to put onto the screen exactly what i had in my mind whenever i read those books (have done them cover2cover many many times). I dont know about the rest of the people but that is what makes this film so great.

Apart from a few liberties taken with the orignal script (changes from the book for those dont get what i mean) its pretty much accurate and for a book that is over 1500 pages long that is awesome.

So according to you, the films of LotR ARE accurate, in regards to the books?

So, what was the 20% is shown in movies thing that aika said?

You people confuse me, but LotR(or any book/movie) "fans" always do.

Short and simple:

LotR was a good enough movie series.
It was a bit boring at many occasions.
It had many annoying features.
The story, that was IN the MOVIES, was a bit...bleh.

I don't think reading the books would change my mind on it, sure, i could dwelve into the world again, but i'd most probably get the same out as i did from the films. Nice enough, but something missing.

Yes, the movies might have been better, much like hellby or, say, ghostrider, if you've read the things. But if the story is at all accurate compared, then in MY mind, it's a bit bleh and surfacey.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Ignore him i have been over a number of threads and this one no exception.

Ok.

So i think my personal point of the story being, for the lack of better word, being a BIT bleh, can be valid by watching the movies?

One hsa to remember that this isn't an attack towards the people who like the movies/books, just that for me, it lacked something.

Well, as an example, people usually don't understand me saying i like the whole matrix trilogy, ergo vis a vis and french orgasmcake included.

Guess it comes down to taste.

tierk

Part of the furniture

Ok glad i could be of help.

On a more serious note seriously, no i mean seriously, if you dont stop slagging off the movie, books and Tolkien in general i will have to come round your house and jam the Hardback edition into your earhole.....sideways!!! :D

aika

Can't get enough of FH
read my post again.. I said depth, not story.. oh and ignore him is pretty nice solution :(

books are not all about the story , read War & Peace, it has little story in the literary meaning , or any literal plot, yet it is one of the best books ever written.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom