TV Fascinating documentary

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
This! Paints a pretty bleak picture if something isn't done today. And I think it should be shown in every classroom on the planet.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Enjoy life while you can, that is all any of us can do. Nothing will change unless governments act and right now they either don't believe or don't care so nothing meaningful is changing.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
we're gonna be plunged back into the stone age soon enough so best enjoy life as much as you can.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
Enjoy life while you can, that is all any of us can do. Nothing will change unless governments act and right now they either don't believe or don't care so nothing meaningful is changing.

I like how you immediately jump on the Governments as having to do it all. Yes Governments have a lot to do but the single biggest issue this planet has is population. THAT is the responsibility of every single person on the face of the earth.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I like how you immediately jump on the Governments as having to do it all. Yes Governments have a lot to do but the single biggest issue this planet has is population. THAT is the responsibility of every single person on the face of the earth.

People will not change without leadership, to overcome the natural urge to reproduce we need strong leadership. People will never do it on thier own, certainly not in the developing nations anyway.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home

People always forget that THIS is the golden age of humanity.

See how dramatically the world changed due to the bank thingy? Yeah, we're all starving :D

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I've not seen the documentary, but based on a number of factors, I expect the world to end up with a population of maybe 1-2billion after the (overdue?) catastrophes have occurred. These include global warming, ocean acidification, oil production past it's peak and feminisation of males of many species due to excessive oestrogen-like compounds in the food cycle.
Then there's the direct human influence of governments taking charge and effectively driving us towards a totalitarian system for Humanity's collective good. Think of China's "One Child" policy as an example of what I mean.

<rose tinted shades>
It will be a peculiar blend of low-tech agriculture and farming the land, along with high-tech ICT powered by mostly renewable energy generation. Advanced engineering techniques will help reduce energy usage even more and plastics might ACTUALLY get recycled properly.
</rose tinted shades>

Looking into the past about 200 years ago gives you a good idea of what we will probably revert to in another 200 years time once the cheap energy runs out in 20-50 years.

Al Bartlett ran a famous lecture in 2002 about "Arithmetic, Population and Energy" in which he explains in plain language how all the growth figures used by politicians and the media are unsustainable.
Arithmetic, Population and Energy - a talk by Al Bartlett on the impossibility of exponential growth on a finite planet
I recommend 2mins into the 3rd section where he explains about the effect of doubling bacteria in a bottle. 11:59 takes on a whole new chilling meaning.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
What happens in the docu? :(

they count how many people can live on the earth, realise that there are too many, give David Attenborough access to a large weapons cache, and let him go to town fixing it.

Zede

Part of the furniture
As good ole david bellamey said - Plants eat CO2. Bring on global warming, we will have no problems at all feeding the world.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
As good ole david bellamey said - Plants eat CO2. Bring on global warming, we will have no problems at all feeding the world.

and they then release the co2 overnight.

Gorbachioo

Fledgling Freddie

...But they also drink water. Which is the problem here.

Global warming denialism is like a religion. First you deny everything, then you say that it wont be that bad, but in fact beneficial.

Go away... go away.

Genedril

Part of the furniture
Having watched it iirc he said that CO2 wasn't going to be the major issue - it was going to be water if the population continues to grow at it's current rates.

That's water for people & construction / production & agriculture.

It was a pretty bleak picture really. Though he did say that proper education of all was the only way to save the world. Only problem there is that I can't see the likes of Iran signing up to have women educated to the same level as men.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Go away... go away.

This from someone who said that by June, our way of living would be over and that peek oil was around the corner(said in january).

Also predicted that i'd be living at home by end of summer.

All which..hmm..let's see...didn't come to pass :D

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Well the oil will soon have runned dry, they prolong this by a few years by taping the poles, they say there are lots of oil there. But we need a good reliable source of energy that wont run out. The yanks can just convert all their petrol cars to diesel an fuel at McD while buying food.

But in the end we cannot keep goin on as we do today, resources will run out, sure we will find and have found new supplements but not for everything. But if the large economies US etc, large pop countires India, China dont do anything drastic nothing can change.

One thing they've started on small scale with in sweden is to collect methane gas from cattle and its poo and send it to a powerplant. Causing less polution than just releasing it into the air directly and getting electricity. But today this process is not the cheapest more will need to take it on for prices to go down. I saw that in China they do aswell in one province. Helped to create work oppertunities, slowed down deforestation, and lowered the methane release into the atmosphere. And the time the people saved on not having to go out and cut down trees, they spent on learning new skills, like writing and reading, and cultivate new crops on previously unused arid soil.

Gorbachioo

Fledgling Freddie
This from someone who said that by June, our way of living would be over and that peek oil was around the corner(said in january).

Also predicted that i'd be living at home by end of summer.

All which..hmm..let's see...didn't come to pass :D

Crude oil is 70$ a barrel even though we're in a recession.

So yes it is right around the corner.

Zede

Part of the furniture
...But they also drink water. Which is the problem here.

Global warming denialism is like a religion. First you deny everything, then you say that it wont be that bad, but in fact beneficial.

Go away... go away.

i'll take the words of one of the worlds leading Botanists about plants over yours me thinks....

if religion is on the cards here.....its Al Gore, and his crazy power behind the thone bitch of a wife & what word shall i use.... " fundamentalist " sections of society who advocate all that he spews out as truth. They treat it like a religion, not the skeptics.

noblok

Part of the furniture

Not really. Ants have a collectively larger ecological footprint, but because everything is recycled this isn't a problem.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Years ago there was the iconic street looney who would wear
a sandwhich board exclaming that the 'End of the world is nigh'

We would all laugh and now there has been a complete reversal.

Everyone's claiming the end is nigh and the few who question
this alarmism are treated as nutters.

There is nothing more pathetically predictable than humans
measuring something for the first time and going into total
panic because the numbers weren't what they expected.

Some time ago the Sun monitoring spacecraft, Ulysesses or summit,
was sat a million miles from Earth and for the first time it measured
a solar eruption, the numbers were well off the scale and the
scientists sent out a warning, satellites were put into standby, electricty
stations were put on full alert,basically the whole world went into electro lock down.....and fuck all happened because they had totally underestimated
the size of normal eruptions.

Every single scare story you read about today will be slowly and quietly
forgotten about as the true picture emerges

I know I'm ranting but just you watch these media bandwagons
get pushed under the carpet one by one and no-one gets
it in the neck for pushing this junkscience, they'll just
grab some new ones cos there's nothing to lose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom