Farcry problem

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
If this sounds thick I apologise in advance.

Just bought Farcry. Its a DVD-ROM, I have a DVD-RW drive which of course can read DVD-ROM's.

My PC is telling me the Farcry DVD contains 0 bytes, ie its empty, hence me not being able to find the setup file ffs.

Now I did notice however that the PC is saying my drive is a CD Drive not a DVD drive...

I look at the disc though and it looks empty to me.

Quick swap at the shop for another disc or prob with the PC?

TIA

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
might be a silly question, but did you try to read another dvd ?

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Its not a silly question at all mate!

yep I tried DVD version of Baldur's Gate and then a couple of films - np there.

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Seems iether you got a faulty disk or farcry has some wierd copy protection that doesnt realy agrees with your dvd reader

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
Not to much help but just to let you know I got my copy on friday DVD version, I also have a DVD-RW and had no problems with it, I'd say take it back and exchange it if I where you.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
If you have CloneCD installed, then you're gonna have problems running it

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Does it look the same in a Command Prompt ?

I think it's your PC's way of telling you to play DAoC instead btw :)

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
have you tried listing the contents under the Dos Command prompt?

otherwise you may need to return for another copy.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
no - I was distracted when I was putting my reply in :(

never realised Wij had the common sense to think the same way I do (thats actually quite scary tbh)

leggy

Probably Scottish
Well I have had similar problems when using the likes of

CloneCD
Nero Imagedrive
virtual CD

Make sure none of these are running when interogating the DVD.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Lazarus said:
if he has any friends ;)

fuck off Laz :D :p

Anyways thanks for all the replies, simple answer was...the DVD was indeed blank ffs! bah.

I dont have Clone CD installed btw - ta for reminder I was toying with putting it on.

Cheers :)

/edit: btw its a fucking good game! :)

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
a blank dvd? ha...

theres soming i'd have never expected (although i'm sure there's alot of them around)

MrBlack

Fledgling Freddie
My Far Cry DVD does a weird thing:

It takes ages (45 seconds or so) to spin up when I put it in. It also causes a similar length blank screen pause if the DVD is in the drive during boot up.

This doesn't happen to any other games, DVD or otherwise. I have just a plain old Hitachi 16x DVD-ROM drive.

Thankfully I have eliminated this problem by downloading the no-cd crack. I know this is naughty, but I've paid for the damn game, I'll be damned if I have to waste time digging the CD out every time I want to play a game.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
That'll serve you right for buying games from market stalls!

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
MrBlack said:
My Far Cry DVD does a weird thing:

It takes ages (45 seconds or so) to spin up when I put it in. It also causes a similar length blank screen pause if the DVD is in the drive during boot up.

This doesn't happen to any other games, DVD or otherwise. I have just a plain old Hitachi 16x DVD-ROM drive.

Thankfully I have eliminated this problem by downloading the no-cd crack. I know this is naughty, but I've paid for the damn game, I'll be damned if I have to waste time digging the CD out every time I want to play a game.

have you checked the surface of the DVD or "blemishes" - it might jsut need a damn good clean

Cthulhu

Fledgling Freddie
From Eurogamer forums....

"*** DVD PROBLEM - READ HERE ***

As Pike has already pointed out, Far Cry (and subsequently Crytek) is going to severely suffer due to Ubisoft's over-zealousness with the copy-protection.

Far Cry DVD is an absolute NIGHTMARE to get running because:

1) Some DVD players are incompatible - see the Far Cry website and forum for a list - Ubisoft have failed to state this on the packaging and I'm sure you'd be annoyed to get the product home and find out it's not going to work.

2) You need to uninstall CloneCD from your system. This SHOULD be straight forward, however just uninstalling does jack sh1t - You need to go into the Windows Registry and do a search for "CloneCD" and then delete every key it finds. Then the game works... "

Ssera

Fledgling Freddie
At home I didn't have any trouble at all installing the dvd - got an Asus DVD player (E616 I think) and don't have clonecd. At work it takes around 2 mins from putting the dvd in to the autorun starting and when I try and play the game it says "turn off any cd/dvd emulation software off" ie CloneCD. Downloaded the NoCD crack tho and it works fine even with clonecd running.

you can always try ordering the US version - it's 5 or 6 normal CDs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom