Farcry Demo

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
Anyone else eagerly anticipating this (rumoured) innovative FPS? It's been overshadowed as a release this year due to the behemoths of Half-Life 2 and Doom 3.

Ubisoft has said to only release the demo at 5pm GMT today though. :(

Hopefully it'll be as good as i anticipated.

http://www.farcry-thegame.com/uk/home.php

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
MrBlack said:
<child>

Ner ner! Beatyou to it by 3 minutes :p :p :p :p :p

</child>

Bah! [child] *hits MrBlack with a plastic squeaky hammer* [/child]

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Wow, a good looking game that runs smooth on my aging box, I'm impressed to say the least. The game seems tops too which is a good bonus, the AI is much better than I'd expected.

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
Aye i've played through it several times and i'm very impressed. Turning shadows up to very high helped make it cooler, when your crawling through the bushes and every leaf casts a shadow on your gun; top notch stuff. Enemies use cover effectively and fling grenades to flush you out.

Only two issues with it though, one is that my bullets are somehow made ineffective by a single leaf in certain occasions. And secondly is that if your hiding in a bush shooting at the enemy they simply can't find you, even up to the point of standing right in front of you...well needless to say they get a machete in the face.

I'll definitely be giving this a purchase if the game is as good in whole as the demo.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
I'd have to agree with what Bullitt says, esp the shadows - simply stunning.

Also, the physics system. It employs the ragdoll effect seen in other games (such as Raven Shield or UT), which makes some interesting fire fights. Shooting a guy in the shoulder as he's running past making him spin around - brilliant.

Pushing a barrel into the water and watching it float away, seeing a body roll down some steps or a hill.

I'm gonna go back, stick in on easy, and mess around with the physics :D

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Anyone else have probs downloading it. Only got an uncorrupted copy on my 3rd attempt.

I have to agree that this is on first appearences a huge improvement but the AI is a bit crap on occasion, either too good or just standing there as you shoot them.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
All I can say it - holy mother of Judas, that's one amazing game.

At first I thought "hmmm, this is just ok", but when I got into it and started roaming around, sniping from bushes, using nades, looking through binoculars I really started to get into it in a big way.

The physics and the attention to details are fantastic, providing you can have everything set to "very high" and have no slow downs... like me ;).

A couple of problems:

Does anyone get bizarre artifacts in-game in the underground/tunnel bits? I have a 9800 Pro with 3.10 cats (i'll try 4.1s). I get little blocks appearing/shimering.

Additionally, some of the boulders flicker at times and the shadows look odd on the enemies (Jonty mentioned this on the catalyst 4.1 thread on the hardware forum).

Also my mouse feels "lagged" and not as responsive as it is in other FPS games. Adjusting the sensitivity doesn't help.

Brilliant game none-the-less :).

G

babs

Can't get enough of FH
The graphics problems happen regardless I think, I'm on nVidia and get some of the bizarre artifacts and flickering. it just seems more pronounced on ATI.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
My god,

I went into the audio options and saw a selection for dolby 5.1. I thought "omg must try", so I selected the nforce2 audio instead of the SB Live and turned on the dolby 5.1 hardware encoding.

My home cinema receiver changed to 5.1 surround and i fired up far cry, selecting 5.1 in the audio options.

There are no words to describe how incredibly immersive the 5.1 sound is that it has, incredible when people are firing at you and ricochets are coming out the rear left and right.

I've got a feeling it's gonna be a great game.

G

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
I would have posted a screen-shot of the game running on my pc but I've uninstalled it now and it's not going back until I've upgraded. :eek6: Then again I have an athlon 1 gig and a gf2 mx. heh I could barely see anything, the 'jungle' was a big green curtain and the bullets were a bunch of red triangles. It was all very multi-coloured as well. Thats on lowest settings, 800 X 600 and windowed.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
If you want to get more mileage out of your demo give this page a squiz:

http://personal.inet.fi/atk/kjh2348fs/fc_demo_info.html

one guy has collated 80% of the hacks and mods for the game.

Oh, and those uber farcry nerds on the official forums have gotten multiplayer working on the demo, someone fancy seeing if they can get it running and hosting a server on their DSL?

Xav

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Ooo only just downloaded this the other night. Its very good, cannot wait for the full game :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom