Far Cry 64bit

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Those three letter word limits can be annoying :)

As for Far Cry, just to say people will need a 64-bit processor, 64-bit operating system and 64-bit drivers for Far Cry 64-bit to work properly. The operating system is the tricky one as only Windows XP Professional x64 Edition really fits the bill, and that isn't particularly easy to come by and the moment. There's also no official word as to whether this will work on Intel's new processors with 64-bit 'EM64T' technology (in theory it should given it's designed to be compatible with AMD's approach).

Kind Regards

Edit ~ Apparently Intel processors work just fine, it's merely Crytek's close association with AMD which has led to all the branding.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
So what's better about it then? I mean, will I actually notice?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
This game patch enables the following 64-bit enhancements in Far Cry:

Far Cry 64-Bit Additions/ Enhancements:

All Levels:
Improved terrain textures
Increased view distance
Offset bump mapping added for rock and stone objects
More insects and birds

On the Pier Level:
New beach road with additional vehicle
Barrel storage camp
Opened more space to explore

Pier and Boat:
New terrain textures with shader (next-gen technology)

Two New 64-bit only Multiplayer levels:
Stronghold
Gorge
amdzone.com has some comparisons between the 32bit and 64bit versions of the game.

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
I've seen some screenies from it and it does look good. The down side is that Win XP 64 with current drivers doesn't really deliver overall at the moment. Id be tempted to wait for Longhorn as many of the driver issues should have been sorted properly by then. Unless you're a geek then be my guest and go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom