FAO Throdgrain & other ATi users

B

Big G

Lately, I've noticed my fps in CS dropping from a super smooth (i'm on a 9800 Pro) 100 fps to 40 fps out of the blue. Stranger still, this is usually when there is little activity on screen and when there is smoke & action it's at 100 fps.

I recall that Throddy was saying his 9800 Pro was worse in CS than his GF4 and other older games. Well, I went on the hunt to see if could get any info on this.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=33705231

It includes:

FPS Slowdown with Counterstrike and also Day of defeat and any other HL based mods
Affects: Quite a few people, but not everyone
Workaround for problem: a few people have found that using XP sp1 and PowerStrip and enabling Sideband Addressing have solved the issue
Status – in progress? game is just as bad on 1.6 beta, still broken in 3.9's

Clearly a driver issue, but it appears there is a workaround. Gonna give it a try. Hope this is of some help.

G

T

Trem

Unrelated, but whats your CS name Big G? Never seen you around I don't think. Get on the KEA server for much abuse and gay fun!

B

Big G

lo :) , my CS name is "gaz". IP for Kea server?

In relation to my first post, I installed Catalyt 3.9 and the fps problem has gone away - 1280*1024, fsaa x aniso switched on and it's 100 fps constant again :clap:

G

T

throdgrain

Thanks for the link. :)
For some reason im makeing my desired 85fps pretty much solid now , so Im happy.
Funny though that I can play Call Of Duty and BF1942 / DC at 1280-1024 , and they look superb
200 year old CS though, is still played at 1024-768 :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom