FAO: MagnusK, questions regarding server populations

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
It has occurred to me alot of the current problems with server populations and queues may not be addressed with things like server cloning and character transfer. WAR is a game about RvR and alot of people (especially those who played DaoC) feel that picking the correct server initially (the one with the highest population with the most RvR orientated players) will pay of in the long run even if it means horrible queues and server instability now.

1) Tournaments
There was a rumour going around that Mythic were considering introducing Tournaments where (the best) groups from different servers would be allowed to fight against each other in cross server battles. If such a system was indeed likely to be implemented then players may feel less likely to all join on the same server in order to ensure the best RvR. Is this something that has been actually discussed, if Mythic implemented it, would it also be implemented in Europe?

2) Server Clustering
I know the game has only just started but people are already talking about not wanting to play on dead servers. Is there a plan in place should a server be found to not have filled up enough?

3) Server Cloning
Mythic have tried this already. What are the reasons GOA are waiting? Do you want to see how it turns out on the US? Are there technical problems? Do you feel that you don't need anymore servers?

4) Server Population caps
What is the plan for these? Its not clear what the current caps are, what if any the final caps will be and how/when you intend to change the current caps to the final caps? Are you waiting for people to leave the starter areas? Are you waiting until you are more confident the servers are stable? Do you feel that people need to move servers or will it be enough that new players roll on underpopulated servers and the server caps will eventually be raised?

5) Server status and realm war page
While these aren't directly related to current population problems knowing when these are going to be up will help guilds plan if they want to move.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
It has occurred to me alot of the current problems with server populations and queues may not be addressed with things like server cloning and character transfer. WAR is a game about RvR and alot of people (especially those who played DaoC) feel that picking the correct server initially (the one with the highest population with the most RvR orientated players) will pay of in the long run even if it means horrible queues and server instability now.

a bit contradicting really. picking the `right` server to play with everyone you know from daoc was a self defeating choice as no single server is big enough to house all the people who ever played on excall+prydwin.

combined with the fact that 8 peaks is the most recognizable name from all the server for people who know something about the warhammer lore means that shitloads of non daoc players will come to it too.

2) Server Clustering
I know the game has only just started but people are already talking about not wanting to play on dead servers. Is there a plan in place should a server be found to not have filled up enough?

contradicting again. in 2 weeks time there might be anywhere from 2 to 10 times as many people playing as there are now. clustering low population servers AT THIS STAGE seems like utter madness to me.

3) Server Cloning
Mythic have tried this already. What are the reasons GOA are waiting? Do you want to see how it turns out on the US? Are there technical problems? Do you feel that you don't need anymore servers?

it didn`t work in the US because NOONE moved to the cloned servers out of fear of being alone there. you need entire alliances on both side to play on the clone server or you have a dead server. it just doesn`t work.

4) Server Population caps
What is the plan for these? Its not clear what the current caps are, what if any the final caps will be and how/when you intend to change the current caps to the final caps? Are you waiting for people to leave the starter areas? Are you waiting until you are more confident the servers are stable? Do you feel that people need to move servers or will it be enough that new players roll on underpopulated servers and the server caps will eventually be raised?

MJ has stated a few times they can not just raise server caps by large amounts without endanger server stability as 90 % of the players are still in 20% of the playing area. they are raising the caps slowly, maybe a 100 at a time.

5) Server status and realm war page
While these aren't directly related to current population problems knowing when these are going to be up will help guilds plan if they want to move.

just having a look at the server selection screen gives that info. realm war and server status pages are fine, but considering the gravity of other problems they are low priority and just gimmicks really.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
Server cloning sounded ok when they announced it, but in retrospect its a bad idea.

There are already enough servers, there is no reason to create any more. Some are sitting near empty. Even if people do decide to goto the clone, it still leaves one or both servers underpopulated. (Unless of course there is a mass influx of players to the game who chose these servers)

Free transfer > Cloning

Enli

Fledgling Freddie
just having a look at the server selection screen gives that info. realm war and server status pages are fine, but considering the gravity of other problems they are low priority and just gimmicks really.

they're planning on doing them but prolly when the shit-storm has cleared

pez

Can't get enough of FH

That depends really. For a lot of players realm war page is more or less a top priority. I don't CTD, I wasn't dim enough to roll a high pop server so basically the only things I am waiting for is the realm/char page and an improvement to 'you are not in range' bugs.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
That depends really. For a lot of players realm war page is more or less a top priority. I don't CTD, I wasn't dim enough to roll a high pop server so basically the only things I am waiting for is the realm/char page and an improvement to 'you are not in range' bugs.

agree, the things i voice is just my opinion.

i don`t have issues with queues due to the server i am on but i have a ctd about once an hour. which i find majorly annoying.

i liiterally spend 12+ hours trying to debug my computer hoping it is something i can fix. upgrading every single driver, bringing bios up to date with the latest version, shutting down every single process that is not required to run the game, i replaced my old ati 9600 pro vid card with an ati3650 vid card, i put in an extra GB of ram, even put in a new psu in my computer as the 400 W one couldn`t take the load at times and made my computer reboot at stress situations.

and i still have the CTDs, and the freeze screens where the sound keeps on playing and the combat sound keep on playing and npc`s keep talking and i can still talk in guild chat, even if i don`t see it and stuff.

i don`t have a clue anymore what I can do to get rid of the CTDs and freeze screens and i have over 20 years of experience at building, repairing and troubleshooting computers.

rynnor

Rockhound
I wasn't dim enough to roll a high pop server

Ouch! well I was but with good reason since I primarily love rvr and a busy server = busy rvr - obviously eight peaks has gotten out of hand but in general high pop = high fun for me :)

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Server only got que on release day, not when i started on it. I'm not a Seer.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
Ouch! well I was but with good reason since I primarily love rvr and a busy server = busy rvr - obviously eight peaks has gotten out of hand but in general high pop = high fun for me :)

OK, a little harsh ;). What I should have said was I was experienced enough to know that any server on headstart which has high pop is going to have queues. It did in WoW and I knew to avoid them. Frankly, all you people queuing really should switch server, at least for the time being, come back to your toons when the queues have died down.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Am getting the following message when i try to log into Eight Peaks

"Too many people logged in, piss off to another server, hope you enjoyed your headstart as its gone"

is it just me... ;)

:m00:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom