variable1 = 1
variable2 = 2

I want to do this:
Variable1 = Variable1+Variable2

and have it output 12 rather than 3

Thanks in advance

Ovron

One of Freddy's beloved
Not a Java person ;p (C ftw!), but you can use: String.toString().

The String object's function toString() will convert int's, double's, float's and actually any other data type to be presented as a string.

Thus this should work:

String strTest = String.toString(variable1) + String.toString(variable2);

I don't have the JDK installed at the moment, but that should work. Remember your data types; can't assign a string to an integer, which seems what you wanted... I take it variable1 and variable2 are numerical data types.

/Ovron

Congax

Fledgling Freddie
Can't you just enclose the string in double quotes?

fe:

String number = "1";
String number1 = "2";

(number + number1 );

Anywho, I don't really know. this just seems logic to me :p

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Not a Java person ;p (C ftw!), but you can use: String.toString().

The String object's function toString() will convert int's, double's, float's and actually any other data type to be presented as a string.

Thus this should work:

String strTest = String.toString(variable1) + String.toString(variable2);

I don't have the JDK installed at the moment, but that should work. Remember your data types; can't assign a string to an integer, which seems what you wanted... I take it variable1 and variable2 are numerical data types.

/Ovron

yep and i dont know how to change the cast in Java
your code didnt work :<
gave the error
Object Expected

String expiryDate = String.toString(expiryDate) + String.toString(document.cardForm.dayList.selectedIndex);
alert(expiryDate)

Ovron

One of Freddy's beloved
yep and i dont know how to change the cast in Java
your code didnt work :<
gave the error
Object Expected

String expiryDate = String.toString(expiryDate) + String.toString(document.cardForm.dayList.selectedIndex);
alert(expiryDate)

hmmm just tried it and I can't get it to work either. But, I came up with another way to do it, a bit easier.

int int1 = 13;
int int2 = 70;

String str1 = "" + int1 + int2; //produces "1370"
System.out.println(str1);

I am not sure if that does an actuall type cast, or if it simply ignores the rules of integer handling, and just conc's the two integers with the string.

That produces "1370". I.e. simply add a leading "" before +'ing the numeral data types.

Hope this works for you,

/Ovron

Chronictank

FH is my second home
expiryDay = expiryDay.toString()
expiryMonth = expiryMonth.toString()
expiryDate = expiryDay+expiryMonth

got it :)

Thanks for the help tho ^^ got thinking about your first answer and had a play
rep a piece for the help :cheers:

Ovron

One of Freddy's beloved

The second way I just posted is a bit easier, and works aswell - but that is the correct way of doing it. Sorry for not getting it right, but atleast it gave you an idea, and you managed ;>. Been over two years since I last touched java. Forgot that the actual datatypes got the conversion functions in em, instead of having to use the "master" object, String.

Anyway, nice that it works. ;>

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Hmmm, I'm getting slowly more and more suprised at how close java and c sharp really are. I've only done c sharp personally and only for a little while too but this looks mighty similar. C sharp would be.

int var1 = 1;
int var2 = 2;
string output;
Convert.ToString(var1, var2);
output = "" + var1 + var2;
Console.WriteLine("{0}", output);
Console.ReadLine();

Probably a quicker way to type it up but anyhoo :D

Steffan-

Fledgling Freddie
Hmmm, I'm getting slowly more and more suprised at how close java and c sharp really are. I've only done c sharp personally and only for a little while too but this looks mighty similar. C sharp would be.

int var1 = 1;
int var2 = 2;
string output;
Convert.ToString(var1, var2);
output = "" + var1 + var2;
Console.WriteLine("{0}", output);
Console.ReadLine();

Probably a quicker way to type it up but anyhoo :D

C# and java are very similiar in ways, however the {0}, paramter doesn't work in java sadly.

The way I would do this in java would be:

int var1 = x;
int var2 = y;
int result = x+y;
System.out.Println("The result for "+x+" + "+y+" is: "+result);

Ovron

One of Freddy's beloved
C# and java are very similiar in ways, however the {0}, paramter doesn't work in java sadly.

int var1 = x;
int var2 = y;
int result = x+y;

He didn't want to sum em, he wanted to conc em together. I.e. var1 = 5, var2 = 10, var1 + var2 should give 510, not 15.

kirennia

Part of the furniture

int var1 = x;
int var2 = y;
int result = x+y;

Some useful bits to know when I get around to it next year :) I'm guessing the main principles are the same it's just mainly the code and data types etc to learn? e.g.

Console.WriteLine..... = System.out.Println.....

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie

That would give you a complie error since you would have already declared expiryday and expiryMonth to be an int (I would assume :)) and they cant be both an int and a String :)

raid

Can't get enough of FH
Some useful bits to know when I get around to it next year :) I'm guessing the main principles are the same it's just mainly the code and data types etc to learn? e.g.

Console.WriteLine..... = System.out.Println.....

Yep, most of the commonly used languages have very similiar feature set. The real challenge in programming, especially OO programming, is to model and solve the real world problem. Language syntax can be learned fast, and once you know one language well the others are fairly easy to learn because you know what to look for.

Steffan-

Fledgling Freddie
He didn't want to sum em, he wanted to conc em together. I.e. var1 = 5, var2 = 10, var1 + var2 should give 510, not 15.

Oh, scrap the:

int result = x+y;

then, and instead just do:

System.Out.Println("bla bla"+x+""+y);

PS. Kirennia, you're right the main principles are nearly the same, and yes, System.Out.Println = Console.Write :)

Ovron

One of Freddy's beloved
Oh, scrap the:

int result = x+y;

then, and instead just do:

System.Out.Println("bla bla"+x+""+y);

PS. Kirennia, you're right the main principles are nearly the same, and yes, System.Out.Println = Console.Write :)

That would just feed the data to standard out - he doesn't want that. He wants to save it in a variable ;).

Ovron

One of Freddy's beloved
Yep, most of the commonly used languages have very similiar feature set. The real challenge in programming, especially OO programming, is to model and solve the real world problem. Language syntax can be learned fast, and once you know one language well the others are fairly easy to learn because you know what to look for.

Indeed, programming is not knowing a language. However, platforms such as dotNET "require" a bit more "language specific" things than for instance C. That is, if you wish to use the built-in functions for hell-alot. Same goes for java which is even more strict.

C all the way \o/.

ps: down with OO! boooo! ;d

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom