FAO: GOA - not a whine thread! genuine concern!

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Ok, so i jsut read the info on the upcoming patch (1.65) and got to the bit that says

"- Players who attempt to log in near a frontier keep or relic keep that is "under attack" or owned by an enemy realm will now be moved to a "safe point". "Under attack" is defined as when the doors are actively taking damage or are completely broken open. The safe point for attackers is the portal keep of the enemy frontier they are in. The safe point for defenders is the border keep with the portal pad of the frontier they are defending."

:eek7:

many UK players (including myself) are on a connection that disconnects every 2 (sometimes 4) hours. This means that if i am in a keep thats being attacked and run out of time, when i log back on i will be out of the fight, this means that i will not be a likely choice for keep raid / defence groups. :(

I just want to ask, why was this done? is it just because GOA / Mythic dont know about this? or is it that they dont care?

I can understand that it may be done to stop ppl logging alts in keeps then going away, but i think that this solution has not been thought out properly.

perhaps when 99% of ppl have a connection that is not limited in time, then fair enough, but atm i would say that perhaps as many as 40% of ppl will be playing daoc from thsi type of connection and it will make it very annoying for those in RVR. :(

PS. to those mindless lemmings that are going to say 'get broadband ffs' then i say this : I cant get broadband in my area, other connections are currently unavailable or hugely expensive, and so i will have to wait untill adsl comes to my area.

I was not told when i bought the game that i needed a certain type of connection to get the most from the game, and so i believe this 'new feature' will be a mistake.

as stated in the title this is not a whine / moan, i believe that this thing needs more thought.

i look forward to a reply :)

NetNifty

Fledgling Freddie
You have 10 mins to get back in before your char is teleported to the PK/BK :D

plomien

Fledgling Freddie
the answer is just below that information
- Note that players who go linkdead near a frontier will have a 10 minute "window" during which they can log back in without being moved to the safe point

Dukat

Resident Freddy
NetNifty said:
You have 10 mins to get back in before your char is teleported to the PK/BK :D

ah ok thats cool then :)

why didnt it say it in the patch info then? :m00:

bleh

cheers for the info tho netnifty :)

Dukat

Resident Freddy
ah bugger it jsut read the next point, it says it there

/slap dukat :m00:

Snarks

Fledgling Freddie
Rustan said:
weird isp
Nope not a weird ISP just a dial-up connection most likely. Probably BT or Freeserve. Before I got ADSL I had dial-up that would stop after 2 hours and force you to reconnect, total pain in the arse when playing on-line games :(

Falcon

Fledgling Freddie
Yep, UK net access is shafted. Millions of people still can't get broadband (ADSL or Cable) here, so are left with little choice but dialup access. Dialup accounts with no limitations cost around £100 a month, very few people can justify that, especially when ADSL is only £25 and like 20x as fast. If you can't get ADSL and can't afford the £100 a month you can pay £15 a month for a standard dialup where you're either:
a) Capped on the amount of hours allowed online per month
or
b) Disconnected every 2hrs

But that's what happens when your phone system is run by the most incompetent company in the world, yes, that's right, British Telecom are even more retarded than GOA.

Thank f*ck my exchange got enabled for ADSL at last a few months back however ;)

Brannor McThife

Fledgling Freddie
Falcon said:
But that's what happens when your phone system is run by the most incompetent company in the world, yes, that's right, British Telecom are even more retarded than GOA.
You have never lived in South Africa and had to deal with Telkom. They have a monopoly, and the government has a 39% stake... One of my friends applied for ISDN 4 months back and is still having issues...

-G

Bure

Fledgling Freddie
Just remember you can't relog in the keep :) you need to pull the plug so you get a ld because if you relog you will NOT get the 10min window

Alkoran

One of Freddy's beloved
Bure said:
Just remember you can't relog in the keep :) you need to pull the plug so you get a ld because if you relog you will NOT get the 10min window

really? That'll be a pain in the arse when you get stuck in the geometrey.

Coren

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm.../stuck shouldn't do it if this rule makes any sense....so lets face it it probably does.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
tbh it struck me as wierd the way they did it, due to the fact that some ppl may get the account ghosting when they LD and be unable to relog for a few mins, leaves the 10 minute window a little on the close side, why they didnt just put a 30 min window on logging out and Lding. it wont make much difference if a person has logged out for 30 mins, and it also provides the user with a chance to do somthing while they're logged out, i.e. use the phone, eat etc. i wish tehy would reconsider this, after all although the game is a subscriber, it doesnt mean everyone who plays is a hardcore 24h a day gamer :)

Thilde

Fledgling Freddie
Dukat said:
Ok, so i jsut read the info on the upcoming patch (1.65) and got to the bit that says

"- Players who attempt to log in near a frontier keep or relic keep that is "under attack" or owned by an enemy realm will now be moved to a "safe point". "Under attack" is defined as when the doors are actively taking damage or are completely broken open. The safe point for attackers is the portal keep of the enemy frontier they are in. The safe point for defenders is the border keep with the portal pad of the frontier they are defending."

:eek7:

many UK players (including myself) are on a connection that disconnects every 2 (sometimes 4) hours. This means that if i am in a keep thats being attacked and run out of time, when i log back on i will be out of the fight, this means that i will not be a likely choice for keep raid / defence groups. :(

I just want to ask, why was this done? is it just because GOA / Mythic dont know about this? or is it that they dont care?

I can understand that it may be done to stop ppl logging alts in keeps then going away, but i think that this solution has not been thought out properly.

perhaps when 99% of ppl have a connection that is not limited in time, then fair enough, but atm i would say that perhaps as many as 40% of ppl will be playing daoc from thsi type of connection and it will make it very annoying for those in RVR. :(

PS. to those mindless lemmings that are going to say 'get broadband ffs' then i say this : I cant get broadband in my area, other connections are currently unavailable or hugely expensive, and so i will have to wait untill adsl comes to my area.

I was not told when i bought the game that i needed a certain type of connection to get the most from the game, and so i believe this 'new feature' will be a mistake.

as stated in the title this is not a whine / moan, i believe that this thing needs more thought.

i look forward to a reply :)

Dude, it only means you will be moved out of the keep if you were logged inside of the keep** if the keep does not belong to your realm.

[TB] Benedictine

Fledgling Freddie
OOoooh this takes me back - Im on 56k and always have been . My old ISP (Tiny then Tiscali when Tiny went bust) used to disconnect me on timeout every 2 hours :(

I changed to AOL about a year ago and hey presto problem solved! I recommend you do the same (or persuade whoever foots the bill)

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Thilde said:
Dude, it only means you will be moved out of the keep if you were logged inside of the keep** if the keep does not belong to your realm.

uhm its kinda hard to get inside a keep, if it is attacked properly. So it was a genuine concern, except that ld's are being protected against.

and Dukat I think mythic tried to keep the LD time window as small as possible, so they thought that 10 mins was long enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom