FAO: Gm's/Mods - Re: Vista Issue

Lorimez Shadowblade

Fledgling Freddie
Hi.

As it seems that lots of us Vista users are suffering from problems and the Chronicles site seems to mention nothing of our plight, could you please use this thread to keep us updated about the progress regarding the issue. :confused:

As you may read from other threads, lots of us are computer noobs and aren't as proficient in the use of the PC as others. Therefore the more information you can give us (Idiots guide? :)) the better.

As you can apprecite it, some of us can't access the game where as those who can have managed to get their subscriptions worth out of today.

Thanks

/bow

Infanity

Can't get enough of FH
That is amazing. Mythic had a MAJOR problem with vista when they first released the patch etc.. and within a few days servers were down again whilst they repatched or smth :d

Weird how they lack communication! ;d

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
A quick search of the herald, which I am sure even the n00biest PC person can handle, revealed this:

Teh Herald! said:
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Okay, what’s going on?[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We have to change the paths that your information follows when it is stored during game sessions. We already did this once, as you recall. If you have not logged in to the game since 1.88 went live, you will find that nothing will change. The game will automatically check the pre-1.88 directory for you, and move your data into the new location. [/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For various and somewhat dull reasons, the game will only check that pre-1.88 root directory. The POST-1.88 paths are essentially being abandoned.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So, if you have logged in to Camelot since 1.88 went live, and you log in next Wednesday after the patch, you will find your hotbars, ignore lists, keyboard configurations, and more erased. I very much apologize for this annoyance. [/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If your live server characters would like to avoid that fun-filled hour trying to remember how you remapped your keyboard and arranged your hotbar, you need to follow the following directions on Wednesday, April 11. [/FONT]

Step by step instructions:

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]First, make sure you’ve set your computer to allow you to see hidden folders.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Next, launch the game, and get to the character selection screen. No need to log all the way in, just do this so that the game can create the new data paths.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Log out. Now, go to where the data USED to be. Remember, this only applies to people who logged in at some time since 1.88 went live:[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Vista users: C:/Users/(your windows login name)/AppData/Roaming/Electronic Arts/Dark Age of Camelot[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Everyone else: C:/Documents and Settings/(your windows login name)/Application Data/Electronic Arts/Dark Age of Camelot[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Leave this old folder open for a minute. Now, go to the new folders. The chains are almost the same, but now, there is another bit at the end. The new bits are the names of the different clients:[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]…/Dark Age of Camelot/LotM[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]" "/DR[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]" "/Catacombs[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]" "/TOA[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you are a Pendragon player, you’ve got an even longer new file path![/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]…Dark Age of Camelot/Test/LotM[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Etc., etc.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Okay. Select user.dat, (character).ini, and (character).ign files in the old folder, and copy them to the new folder.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Close everything.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Relaunch the game. Ta-da! I hope.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Special Cases[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you run two instances of the game using the same client, but you have different settings for each one (such as having all the bells and whistles turned off on the second client), you’ll need to do a little creative editing to give your destination folders unique names.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Open the root directory for the first copy of the game. Create a text file (using Notepad or some such thing) called paths.dat. In that file, type [/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][paths][/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]on the first line. On the second line, type[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Settings=name1[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](“Name” can be whatever you want.) Log into your first copy of the game and get to the character selection screen. Log out.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Now go to the SECOND copy of the game, and repeat the process. This time, type[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Settings=name2[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Log into the second copy all the way to character selection.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You have now created custom folders for your characters. Follow the directions under "Step by Step" for moving your .dat, .ini, and .ign files into the new destination folders.[/FONT]

Original link: The Camelot Herald

Hope this helps, and sorry for Mr Gates screwing your day.

- English -

Resident Freddy
A quick search of the herald, which I am sure even the n00biest PC person can handle, revealed this:

Original link: The Camelot Herald

Hope this helps, and sorry for Mr Gates screwing your day.

read that yesterday and its just a solution tofix a working problem... hope this mess is sorted before i get home from work :(

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
It might help if people said what the problem was, then maybe a tech head could answer it better.

The most frustrating thing for anyone in IT is when helldesk calls simple read "It broke, you fix good!", instead of giving the actual problem.

Lorimez Shadowblade

Fledgling Freddie
It might help if people said what the problem was, then maybe a tech head could answer it better.

The most frustrating thing for anyone in IT is when helldesk calls simple read "It broke, you fix good!", instead of giving the actual problem.

When using ToA client - there is no load in data. It eventually goes to the character selection screen where I can't see any option for characters and when I do click where they'd be they are ghost like figures. When I log one in, it crashes to desktop.

When using DR client - loads in fine but all characters have luminous pink faces! When I log one in the game crashes back to desktop.

/bow

- English -

Resident Freddy

Using lab client u can load to the char screen, click play - the bar gets around 60% then you get a Windows APP crash from game.dll.... i have tried redownloading the game.dll file but nothing changed

Lorimez Shadowblade

Fledgling Freddie
What I think really gets my goat is not the problem itself - hell these things happen and if they didn't check it beforehand then that is piss poor - but its the COMMUNICATION. If it wasn't for FH, how many of us would be suffering thinking that its just happening to me! I wish they'd acknowledge there is a problem and explain what they are trying to do to resolve it. :twak:

/bow

kiniki

Loyal Freddie
Same thing happened when they patched the US servers afaik and they still havent bothered there lazy arses to do anything about this for the EU patch.... imo that sums up GOA......

Craft

Fledgling Freddie
What we have here are some noobs that have just bought vista and demand everything done right now - or else - or else what? You can't sit on your ass all day and play an online game for the next 8 hours? Grow up get a job and less hating - so much negative energy.

- English -

Resident Freddy
What we have here are some noobs that have just bought vista and demand everything done right now - or else - or else what? You can't sit on your ass all day and play an online game for the next 8 hours? Grow up get a job and less hating - so much negative energy.

at work fyi... i was moaning about last night tbh... only free night off; (

Lorimez Shadowblade

Fledgling Freddie

Less hating? This from the most aggressive poster here - such irony :confused: Me thinks the summer holidays are here :england:

/bow

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Sorry to burst your rather angry bubble, its not a case that people are being lazy bastards, they pay to play, and Vista is the future of opperating systems thanks to Bill Gates extraodinary powers of market capture. Until your post we were getting the problems out in the open from users, clear and concise information is what is needed for GOA and Mythic to sort the problem, not the crap you came out with.

Passing whats useful to the GOA forums now, if anyone else has something half decent to add, please let me know.

leviathane

Part of the furniture

lawl get a fcking clue mate.

sp4nky

Fledgling Freddie
I got this from the Herald site

"Vista Users

Posted By: Sanya Thomas 2007-03-30 15:10:34

If you are a Vista user, you currently are not able to play the live game. We've been working on this non-stop for awhile now.

You may have noticed that Vista worked on Pendragon, so why doesn't it work on live? That's because Microsoft put in a feature to help Vista work with older games, such as the five year old Camelot. This feature works with the file called "game.dll." Pendragon's file is not called that - it's called "tgame.dll." For various reasons, we have to keep calling the live file "game.dll," so we need to find a solution that doesn't involve renaming the file.

Please don't try to rename the file yourself.

We've been working very closely with Microsoft on this issue, but progress is slow. We're doing the best we can with this, and I am sorry for the frustration."

Looks like they had the same problem but solved it in 2hours.....

Seems goa did not ask them what they did to fix this when they had chance.

BigE

One of Freddy's beloved

No we have people who pay £x.xx / month to GOA to play an online game. We get a patch in EU that has been out in US months, had a know issue with VISTA in US, yet GOA clearly didn't test this patch with Vista or they would have encountered the problem that from what it seems every Vista user is getting (im assuming this because no one has posted yet about having vista working). Now I've played since Beta so tend not to expect much from GOA and they haven't dissapointed again...

No one is hating GOA just showing frustation at its subscribers being short changed again... <steps off soap box>

Lorimez Shadowblade

Fledgling Freddie
For those interested. Latest news from GOA.

Discussion Thread
Response (CM) 07/26/2007 05:07 PM
Hello,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we are aware of technical issues with Windows Vista and Dark Age of Camelot. We are working closely with Mythic regarding Vista related bugs and the issues you may be experiencing - this is our number one priority.

All Vista related issues, information and fixes will be posted on our website: Chronicles of Camelot

Thank you once again for your assistance and patience.

Yours sincerely,
---------------------------------------------
European Dark Age of Camelot Community Manager

Fingers crossed guys :fluffle:

/bow

- English -

Resident Freddy
For those interested. Latest news from GOA.

Discussion Thread
Response (CM) 07/26/2007 05:07 PM
Hello,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we are aware of technical issues with Windows Vista and Dark Age of Camelot. We are working closely with Mythic regarding Vista related bugs and the issues you may be experiencing - this is our number one priority.

All Vista related issues, information and fixes will be posted on our website: Chronicles of Camelot

Thank you once again for your assistance and patience.

Yours sincerely,
---------------------------------------------
European Dark Age of Camelot Community Manager

Fingers crossed guys :fluffle:

/bow

why dont they post this on their website... would make people alot less pissed off.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
so much fun to resub and get this shit. Payed for a game I can't play anymore.

VegetaFH1

Fledgling Freddie
give them time, thats all im gonna say, becuase by this time tomorrow, ill be joining the band wagon, my patients can only go so far, esspecaly since i only JUST rejoined daoc after being away for..... 1.5 years or so

emma

Loyal Freddie
You actually enabled your buffbot also o_O

Only enabled my main account, but now I just dont have the time, too busy with the warhammer beta.

Roaken

Problem is all fixed now guys, you should have a small patch to download (2.8Mb) and everything should be Vista compatible, once again we thank you for your petience.

Leahc

Fledgling Freddie
Problem is all fixed now guys, you should have a small patch to download (2.8Mb) and everything should be Vista compatible, once again we thank you for your petience.

Thanks alot Roaken, you managed to save my weekend :D
And .. eeh .. sorry for my harsh posts *blush*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom