Books Fantasy Books

Damini

Part of the furniture
My Dad is a massive fantasy fan - he probably reads about two books a week, and so fantasy books make an excellent present for him, but it's getting bloody hard finding good novels that he hasn't read.

Can anyone here recommend their favourite fantasy stories, so I can get some ideas?

If you're a fan of fantasy, I'm currently reading The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie, and it is absolutely fantastic. Best book I've read in years. Sadly, Dad already owns it though...

Uara

Part of the furniture
I would definitely recommed the Malazan Book of the Fallen!! Its a series of 8 books atm iirc with somemore in the pipeline. Order goes as follow:
1. Gardens of the Moon (1999)
2. Deadhouse Gates (2000)
3. Memories of Ice (2001)
4. House of Chains (2002)
5. Midnight Tides (2004)
6. The Bonehunters (2006)
7. Reaper's Gale (2007)
8. Toll the Hounds (2008)
9. Dust of Dreams (forthcoming)
10. The Crippled God (forthcoming)
Its one of these epic tales that looks at something from a whole range of different perspectives. Its a bit daunting when you read the first one, but it drags you in and won't let you go :D

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Neil Gaiman *nods*

*double nods*

Gods, magic, real life people.

American Gods is a good long book, deep stuff.

Neverwhere is fun too.

I NEVER read books, but after first Neil Gaiman book i read about 4 in 2 weeks. So ti's saying alot :D

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
If you're a fan of fantasy, I'm currently reading The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie, and it is absolutely fantastic. Best book I've read in years. Sadly, Dad already owns it though...
if I recall, its the first book in a set of 3

Book 2
Amazon.co.uk: Before They Are Hanged: The First Law: Book Two: Book Two of the First Law (Gollancz S.F.): Joe Abercrombie: Books

Book 3
Amazon.co.uk: Last Argument Of Kings: The First Law: Book Three: Book Three of the First Law (Gollancz S.F.): Book Three of the First Law (Gollancz S.F.): Joe Abercrombie: Books

I also enjoyed reading Fiona MacIntosh novels.

Amazon.co.uk: fiona macintosh: Books

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I prefer sci fi to fantasy but China Meiville, Perdido Street Station, has got to be on the ooh and aahh must read list.

Has he read Lord of the Rings yet? Can't quite remember who wrote it, some guy called J.R. who used to be in Dallas.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Anything by David Gemmell but I imagine he has read them.

The best by far (imo) are the Regante series, not really fantasy more an alternative British history from I suppose 50ish BC to the Napoleonic period spread across 4 or 5 books each one a different era but all the main characters are from the same family line. Think Blackadder with less funnies. All his other books are good too. Sadly he passed away last year, his wife finished his last book which was 3rd of a trilogy based on Greek history.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Anything by David Gemmell but I imagine he has read them.

The best by far (imo) are the Regante series, not really fantasy more an alternative British history from I suppose 50ish BC to the Napoleonic period spread across 4 or 5 books each one a different era but all the main characters are from the same family line. Think Blackadder with less funnies. All his other books are good too. Sadly he passed away last year, his wife finished his last book which was 3rd of a trilogy based on Greek history.

I agree, the Jon Shannow / Waylander trilogy are awesome and anything with Druss in rocks!!!

Robin Hobb The Farseer trilogy, The liveship traders and The Tawny Man trilogy are all amazing.

Vae

Resident Freddy
2004 Freddyshouse Book thread

That's a list I posted in 2004 on a similar subject with other people's comments. He's probably read most books mentioned if he's as voracious a reader as you say.

I'd also recommend Ash

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Some ideas:

Harry Turtledove

The Videssos Cycle
The Misplaced Legion: One of Julius Caesar's legions is transported to a world with magic. (1987)
An Emperor for the Legion (1987)
The Legion of Videssos (1987)
The Swords of the Legion (1987)
The Tale of Krispos Series
Krispos Rising (1991)
Krispos of Videssos (1991)
Krispos the Emperor (1994)
The Time of Troubles Series
The Stolen Throne (1995)
Hammer and Anvil (1996)
The Thousand Cities (1997)
Videssos Besieged (1998)
The Bridge of the Separator (2005)

Harry Harrison

The Hammer and the Cross (1993)
One King's Way (1995)
King and Emperor (1997)

Jack Vance

Suldrun's Garden (1983)
The Green Pearl (1985)
Madouc (1989)

Bit dated but some of the best production i ever read.

taB

Part of the furniture
All my stuff in the old thread still stands :)

One trilogy I re-read recently is the Authur series from Bernard Cornwell, while more historical fiction they are bloody good books.

The Winter King (book 1)

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
The Locke Lamora books by Scott Lynch are good.

I'm 3/4 of the way through 'An Empire of Black and Gold' by Adrian Tchaikovsky. It's very interesting, thus far.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I would definitely recommed the Malazan Book of the Fallen!! Its a series of 8 books atm iirc with somemore in the pipeline. Order goes as follow

Its one of these epic tales that looks at something from a whole range of different perspectives. Its a bit daunting when you read the first one, but it drags you in and won't let you go :D

Yep, cannot got wrong with Steven Erikson. If you want something quicker to read though get this Amazon.co.uk: Bauchelain and Korbal Broach: The Collected Stories: 1: Steven Erikson, James Barclay: Books proof that Erikson can do short story's

Lester

One of Freddy's beloved
The Dark Tower stuff by Stephen King isn't bad, but one he wrote with Peter Straub, The Talisman, is one of my all time favourites.

Stephen King, despite his prolific and often maligned output, has an excellent talent of being able to make you care about the characters in his novels, and also of creating memorable "bit-players".

I loved this book. From a fantasy point of view, it's a littlle darker than most, but well worth a read. It's quite old now, so he may of read it though...

Never understood why this wasn't made into a film/TV special - everything else he ever wrote has.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Stephen Donaldson's Mordant's Need series is absolutely fucking outstanding:

Mordant's Need - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It takes a couple of dozen pages to get going but boy once it starts you cannot put any of the books down. It also has one of the most epic endings of any book since Gollum went 'PRECCIiiioooouuuussss......' in ROTK.

taB

Part of the furniture
The Dark Tower stuff by Stephen King isn't bad, but one he wrote with Peter Straub, The Talisman, is one of my all time favourites.

Personally I thought the Dark Tower nose dived off a cliff somewhere during books 3/4. I never finished the series.

The Locke Lamora stuff is definately a fun read.

elisera

Fledgling Freddie
Currently Reading JV Jones Sword of Shadows trilogy and its good, although so far i think the Book of Words trilogy was better.

Totally agree on the Robin Hobb trilogies - absolutely fell in love with the chars and the world, could re-read them over and over again.

As always there is David Eddings but I'm sure he has read those already

Uara

Part of the furniture
oooooh also Terry Brooks the Sword of shannara series, theres bloody hundreds of them. Now reading the genesis of shannara series which merges the real world (kinda) with the fantasy shannara world!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Stephen Donaldson's Mordant's Need series is absolutely fucking outstanding:

Mordant's Need - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It takes a couple of dozen pages to get going but boy once it starts you cannot put any of the books down. It also has one of the most epic endings of any book since Gollum went 'PRECCIiiioooouuuussss......' in ROTK.

Looks good, after I finish reading "return of the crimson guard", and books 3 and 4 of the Dark Tower, I shall give it a look.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
oooooh also Terry Brooks the Sword of shannara series, theres bloody hundreds of them. Now reading the genesis of shannara series which merges the real world (kinda) with the fantasy shannara world!

Oh, is that the series that starts with Armageddon's Children? I read that last year and thought it was terrible! First Terry Brooks I've read, and I have to say it will be the last.

Uara

Part of the furniture
yeah Armageddons children is the one. Yeah that trilogy really isnt too good but his early trilogys are really really good. Especially in my eyes the voyage of the Jerle Shannara books. Read those ones a couple of times! Give his earlier books (fantasy centric rather than Real World/Fantasy) a go, you might prefer them more.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Gail Z. Martin
The Summoner
The Blood King.

first 2 books in the "tales of the Necromancer"

worth a read imo

Iain Irvine.
A Shadow on the Glass

part of a series - well worth a read.

James Clemens
Wit'ch Star
Wit'ch Gate
Wit'ch Fire
Hinterland
Cry of the Newborn

Trudi Canavan
Voice of the Gods (part of a series.)

adams901

Can't get enough of FH
i'm guessing he has already read the Wheel of Time books?

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Don't forget Glen Cooks Black Company books! A bit too short, but still awesome.

Seconding Steven Erikson. But you need an open mind, as the first one can be a bit heavy going.

As for Bernard Cornwell, the Arthur series is pretty good, but even better is his Warlord series about Viking he's doing right now, I think it starts off with the The Last Kingdom. Also worth a look too is Harlequinn, also Cornwell.

I assume the bigger series have already been read, Song of Fire and Ice, The Magician (Raymond E Fiests books), Anything by Gemmel, Wheel of Time, etc.

elisera

Fledgling Freddie
Lazarus - totally agree on the Trudi Canavan series. Both the Age of Five trilogy and the Black Magician. Looking forward to when she gets round to writing the new Traitor Spy trilogy as well which will follow Sonea and Akkarins son :)

taB

Part of the furniture
As for Bernard Cornwell, the Arthur series is pretty good, but even better is his Warlord series about Viking he's doing right now, I think it starts off with the The Last Kingdom. Also worth a look too is Harlequinn, also Cornwell.

Viking books are good too, it's when he writes at the end of them that its based on an ancestor of his that I scoffed a little :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom