Family guy

Carter

Banned
Anyone seen the newest episode 5.11?

the violence is kinda over the top don't you think?

that episode should have been banned imo

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
i think the violence was way over the top too. i laughed at first but it got uncomfortable, and i'm surprised they didnt have to tone it down.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
haarewin said:
i think the violence was way over the top too. i laughed at first but it got uncomfortable, and i'm surprised they didnt have to tone it down.

So the Itichy & Scratchy segments in the Simpsons are tame then?

And how can anymore NOT laugh at Stewie knee-capping Brian

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
It's actually 5.10, as they swapped around the ep show dates - next ep to be screened will be 11.

And no it's not over the top, it's funny. It doesn't even look remotely real.

And anyway, this week's American Dad was better than this week's family guy. Some real gems in that episode.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Swift^ said:
It's actually 5.10, as they swapped around the ep show dates - next ep to be screened will be 11.

And no it's not over the top, it's funny. It doesn't even look remotely real.

And anyway, this week's American Dad was better than this week's family guy. Some real gems in that episode.
That was annoying. Got a 5x11 version and thought, "shit I missed episode 10." Got that coming down and then when it was done realsied it was the same ep ;)

Carter

Banned
Swift^ said:
It doesn't even look remotely real.
except for the "toasting" part what did not look realistic to you?

hitting the dog till he bleeds?
smash glass on his head?
shooting him with a gun?
hitting him with a bat?
pushing him down the stairs?
pushing someone infront of a vehicle?

dude when you grow up and have kids, put your kids infront of the tv and tell them that is funny. no you won't.

about simpsons. agree its not right. but then again, it only happens for like 10secs, it's completly unrealistic and ppl associate itchy & scrathy with killing.
the family guy episode on the other hand was realistic, went on for the hole episode and it's not something we have ever seen before in this cartoon.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
im sure family guy is a 15.

so if you are putting kids infront of a 15 rated program, only your self to blame imo?

anyone seen family guy the movie btw? i thought it was freakin sweet! seemed so weird to see the characters swear and lois lookin so hot :eek:

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Family Guy is an Adult cartoon, like south park, and those Japanese Cartoons where they have sex.

You shouldn't be letting your children watch it in the first place! Dont blame the people who produce this stuff its up to the parents to dictate what should and should not be watched.

And please don't say you thought that Family Guy is suitable for kids! Have you actually taken point of some of the characters traits!!!!!

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Carter said:

smash glass on his head?
shooting him with a gun?
hitting him with a bat?

dude when you grow up and have kids, put your kids infront of the tv and tell them that is funny. no you won't.

about simpsons. agree its not right. but then again, it only happens for like 10secs, it's completly unrealistic and ppl associate itchy & scrathy with killing.
the family guy episode on the other hand was realistic, went on for the hole episode and it's not something we have ever seen before in this cartoon.

Agree with Furr - it IS aimed at adults.

Also - it's the same as Tom & Jerry, only with blood (and a gun). Everyone grew up with Tom & Jerry as kids - it IS funny seeing cartoon characters get seriously hurt because you KNOW (even as a kid) that it is a cartoon and no pain is being inflicted. Tom & Jerry shows more aggressive violence than family guy ever has: they're cut to pieces with axes, blades, cheese graters, heavy objects etc.

Stop being so bloody melodramatic and admit you're a pussy.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
How can I put this succinctly? It's a talking baby beating up a talking dog.

I watched it last night. The fight was was hilarious. There was something that made you think "wow", something harsher about it. It was violent enough to make you sit up and take notice - which these days cartoon violence often isn't, but again: Talking. Baby. Talking. Dog.

Which film is referenced by Stewie playing golf on the landing? I can't remember.

Stewie and Brian's relationship is the best bit of Family Guy (does anyone notice if Chris and Meg are even in it any more?). They fact that they can go from buddy-movie to bloody violence in the space of an episode is what makes them so good.

And Brian's revenge was so, so sweet

It's a shame really, 'cause the episode as a whole hit a real low point after the oh-good-God-not-another-song moment.

I mean, I'm all for taking the piss out of the British (the amount of laughter I get at the expense of Americans means it's only fair) but seriously: Weedy men, posh accents and a horse drawn carriage? It's probably the lamest Brit-gag ever. Really, really poor. It's only redeemed at the end by Brian's revenge.

What's worse, is they managed to make Brit jokes rather well in season 3 (the 'My Fair Lady' episode and the cutaway where Disraeli turns to to camera and says "You don't even know who I am"). It's bad form for them, I'm pretty sure the only people who found it funny are the same who still get a kick out of Prince Charles' teeth.

And good grief, as for showing it to kids: Did you not listen during the FCC episode?

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Carter said:

smash glass on his head?
shooting him with a gun?
hitting him with a bat?

You are 100% correct. We should always wrap our kids up in cotton wool to stop them from seeing nasty stuff on TV, so when they do see it in real life they have a nervous breakdown.

Cock.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Shovel:

The Brit jokes are hilarious - they're poking fun at the american stereotype of us, rather than using the stereotype as the joke itself.

Also, get an ability to laugh at your own nation like you do others. It's great when you can.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Bodhi said:
You are 100% correct. We should always wrap our kids up in cotton wool to stop them from seeing nasty stuff on TV, so when they do see it in real life they have a nervous breakdown.

Cock.

i agree, expose kids now to talking dogs and talking babies killing each other before they witness it out in the wild.

from learning at such a young age, they should be able to handle it.

while you are at it, stick some tom and jerry on. im suprised its even allowed to be aired as a kids cartoon these days with people like him around.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Swift^ said:
Shovel:

The Brit jokes are hilarious - they're poking fun at the american stereotype of us, rather than using the stereotype as the joke itself.

Also, get an ability to laugh at your own nation like you do others. It's great when you can.

Well yeah, but I do get the feeling that Seth McFarlane doesn't actually like us; being Boston Irish it would hardly be a big surprise if he didn't. It never ceases to amaze me when you get the great-great-grandkids of Irish emigres still passing on the anti-British bile to their kids; I've actually had it happen to me, the only unfriendly American I've ever met.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
It surprises me that there's still people who believe cartoon means suitable for kids. It was very violent, it also was pretty funny and in my opinion in no way suitable for kids - but then why should it be? It's your responsibility as a parent to decide what should be seen by your kids and if you think that Family Guy has set a precedent as being OK - then I don't know what you're smoking but I want some.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
nath said:
It surprises me that there's still people who believe cartoon means suitable for kids. It was very violent, it also was pretty funny and in my opinion in no way suitable for kids - but then why should it be? It's your responsibility as a parent to decide what should be seen by your kids and if you think that Family Guy has set a precedent as being OK - then I don't know what you're smoking but I want some.

It's quite interesting that when Sky first aired Family Guy they ran it in a Sunday night slot similar to The Simpsons and Futurama, but the BBC show it much later; I wonder if Sky actually watched it before they showed it? To my mind, just like South Park (which is probably even more violent at times), it is absolutely not appropriate for kids. If only because of Quagmire ffs!

leggy

Probably Scottish
It was no where near being over the top. It was very close to being unfunny though. To be honest the most recent episodes don't come close to the quality found in the first 3 seasons.

The Stewie bus scene almost redeemed that episode though.

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
leggy said:
It was very close to being unfunny though.

s/unfunny/funny. I will agree that the quality of late hasn't really been as good as the first three seasons. I think maybe they went into family guy not really thinking where it was going to go - or even if it was going to get off the ground at all; lately it's all been about pop-culture references and silly layering of cynicisms, though I'm sure they are just trying to ingratiate themselves to their nerd audience to which they owe their current existence.
It has its moments but sometimes I just can't be bothered to sit through the whole thing in one go.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Swift^ said:
Shovel:

Ooh I know. And I do. I just didn't think that this particular piss take was especially funny. That said, I watched it again and
I'd completely forgotten about "Now on BBC4... 'Condensation'..." part, which just about redeems it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite able to laugh at Britain.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Shovel said:
Ooh I know. And I do. I just didn't think that this particular piss take was especially funny. That siad, I watched it again and
I'd completely forgotten about "Now on BBC4... 'Condensation'..." part, which just about redeems it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite able to laugh at Britain.

Good good.

And I personally still think Family Guy is great. Might not on average be as good as previous seasons but there are some great episodes still.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I can't get the tune out of my head from the episode in season 3 where a Genie gives Peter his very own 'theme tune' to whatever hes doing....

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Swift^ said:
Good good.

And I personally still think Family Guy is great. Might not on average be as good as previous seasons but there are some great episodes still.

I know it probably doesn't count as "this season", but 4.09 when Lois got done for shoplifting is probably the funniest episode of Family Guy I've seen, mainly for when Chris ends up in the Take On Me video.....

"Chris where have you been?"

"I DON'T KNOW!"!!!!"

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Not as funny as the Ipekak drinking challenge in 4x08 :D

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
Bodhi said:
when Chris ends up in the Take On Me video.....

"Chris where have you been?"

"I DON'T KNOW!"!!!!"

that was brilliant, i had to stop the episode so i could finish laughing.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Just watched the ep tonight. Absolutely pissed my sides with laughter.

So, in summary, I think this summarises my thoughts on sitting children down in front of an adult show.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
It seems that Family Guy and American Dad have gone back to the "1 show a month" slot Family Guy was in just before it was cancelled :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom