Fake Tech Support Scam

razeredge

One of Freddy's beloved
I think my parents got a call from there a month or two ago, fortunetely they told them to ring back, by which time I had a look into them. They were claiming to be microsoft which I found very strange since Microsoft wouldn't cold call there customers for technical issues and the number they rang from was Nigerian when I looked up the country code. So when they rang back we just told them to f**k off

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
Heard about it? hell I got a phone call last week from them :)

It was funny asking them what company they were from and how they got the phone number.

They hung up pretty quickly when I "explained" to them that I was a MSDST / MCSE computer engineer for a "large organisation", and that any info they had was either incorrect, invalid or false.

I never got to finish the part where I inform them that I was passing the relevant information to the Cyber-crime squad of the police of their phone call, because they hung up on me!

those bastards :eek: I was having so much fun winding them up!

*waits for thread to die horribly because he posted in it*

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Everyone knows error reports come through internet protocol surely

lol

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
The kid in the video is pretty good, he sounds like he is having a bad morning after a heavy night.

He doesn't seem to have a clue what is going on. Especially when his CPU fan fails lol. They seem to get quite annoyed with him. They are committed though.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
My mother had a telephone call from an IT company claiming to have been given her details by Microsoft. They claim that her computer is sending hundreds of messages to Microsoft daily and that they need access to her PC to update it to Windows 7 at a cost of £200.

She is bringing it around for me to check it out later but was very scathing that I am so 'distrustful'. But then, unlike her, I've not won the Spanish lottery, clicked on the link for a "HMRC" tax refund, given my paypal details to paypal@googlemail.com or supplied my Yahoo username and password to Yahooscammers.org. Seriously :/

razeredge

One of Freddy's beloved
What really annoyed me was the bloody line kept dropping, so they kept ringing me back. Took me around 5 goes to tell them to get lost

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Now I'm annoyed. Despite my mother only having restored access to her Yahoo e-mail account after giving the account name and password to scammers, she gave access to her computer over the internet to persons unknown.

They said they were calling from Online Computer Tech Support,Technical Support Services ,Computer Network Maintenance Services UK at Microsoft's request. My anti-virus blocks the website so not sure where to proceed from here. I have confiscated her computer, but any thoughts on my next actions? Cheers.

Edit: just found this: http://www.optimisedit.com/news/customer-targeted-by-fake-it-support-scam/

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I think you should scam her Turamber, get her details and use VPN to keep her protected. Failing that, disconnect her internet.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Failing that, disconnect her internet.

i've done that to my grandad's PC. he's not allowed to go online unless i'm there to see what the fuck he's doing...

he's well pissed off but he doesn't know how to undo what i did :)

basically all i did were pull the cable out of the modem :D

he's a trusting old fool that loved to help "people in need", so yeah he finds the scammers, not the other way around....

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Now I'm annoyed. Despite my mother only having restored access to her Yahoo e-mail account after giving the account name and password to scammers, she gave access to her computer over the internet to persons unknown.

They said they were calling from Online Computer Tech Support,Technical Support Services ,Computer Network Maintenance Services UK at Microsoft's request. My anti-virus blocks the website so not sure where to proceed from here. I have confiscated her computer, but any thoughts on my next actions? Cheers.

Edit: just found this: Customer Targeted By Fake IT Support Scam | Business & Home IT Support Cheshire | Optimised IT
Install Windows Live Family Safety on her PC and then basically block the shit out of everything and make her ask for access to websites.

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH

Edit: just found this: Customer Targeted By Fake IT Support Scam | Business & Home IT Support Cheshire | Optimised IT

I'm assuming you've sat her down and actually tried to educate her??

This is one of the reasons I refuse to get my parents a PC. In fairness, the parents don't really care for getting one, which makes my life easier. Mother has her DS, and the old man has his fly fishing. Now and again they'll ring and ask me to use 'the computer' to find some answers to stuff, or for phone numbers etc, but that's about it.

But really, as much as I slag off people for knowing fuck all and asking stupid questions, it all comes down to education.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom