Fails to Launch on Selecting <Play>

Firecrown

Fledgling Freddie
Just had this after finally getting through and patching.

No Errors just a drop back to desktop, on trying to run the War.exe file it gives an error about missing d3dx9_34.dll

This file can be picked up around the web, although I went for a reload of the directx files from the microsoft site - Download details: DirectX End-User Runtime

Seems to have sorted that problem, now loads the game and can get to the server select menu.

Hope this is useful for any others having the same prob.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Was people with the same problem in WAR technical forum, I think it's a vista issue.

Aada

Part of the furniture

No Errors just a drop back to desktop, on trying to run the War.exe file it gives an error about missing d3dx9_34.dll

This file can be picked up around the web, although I went for a reload of the directx files from the microsoft site - Download details: DirectX End-User Runtime

Seems to have sorted that problem, now loads the game and can get to the server select menu.

I had this problem it seemed to only happen on the High Elf area.

I did a full file check then logged in on destruction and everything has worked from there on.

Firecrown

Fledgling Freddie
This was on XP, although I expect to have the fun on the wife's vista machine:)

Dervish

Fledgling Freddie
That file is missing from the DirectX 9.0c built into XP right up to and including SP2. Same is probably true for earlier builds of Vista with DirectX 10. For the Closed Beta this file was included in the WAR game folder but it has not been included in the client for Open Beta.

The problem is that DirectX is technically up to date and so won't get updated by Windows Update or similar automatic engines. That file and quite a few others are present in the DirectX SDK pack which is only included in DirectX if you install it directly from the Microsoft website. Just go there and search for DirectX End-User Runtime. Run that and it will update to the "true" latest version and you'll be fine.

For goodness sake don't ever download missing DLL's from one of those websites that offer to provide them to you. DLL's are fully executable programs and there really is no telling what they contain. Sure you can hash check against a known good source but if a known good source supplies that kind of info then they probably supply the DLL also.

VidX

One of Freddy's beloved
Was people with the same problem in WAR technical forum, I think it's a vista issue.

It's not just a Vista issue, it's caused by not having the latest DX9 runtime build on the machine. Most games nowadays come with the latest version (at time of release) built into the installer to prevent this issue but I'm guessing WAR doesn't (at least the beta client doesn't).

pikeh

Resident Freddy
It's not just a Vista issue, it's caused by not having the latest DX9 runtime build on the machine. Most games nowadays come with the latest version (at time of release) built into the installer to prevent this issue but I'm guessing WAR doesn't (at least the beta client doesn't).

Ahh yes, I just meant, its a common vista problem as Vista machines don't come with that file on already.

VidX

One of Freddy's beloved
Aye, it should be common practice now to include both DX9 and DX10 runtimes with a game installer but it can be overlooked sometimes.

I guess you could also argue that people should just keep their systems updated :s

redenaxela

Fledgling Freddie
thanks

Thank you very much you helped me a lot :D

AtticAttak

Fledgling Freddie
Updated DirectX still no fix

I updated DirectX from Microsoft's website on my Vista PC, but I am still having a problem where the game launcher which does nothing after I click play and although there is drive activity for a while, all I get is the Windows desktop.

AtticAttak

Fledgling Freddie
I was shocked to find out that changing the video resolution to 1280x1024 solves the problem as described by Lefthand in another post and after clicking play it launches instantly.
:worthy:

Lefthand

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah.. I have to do that everytime Im gonna play, my desktop looks like shit but it works. Very annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom