Question Failing hardware, remote desktop and SSH

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hola chaps! We have some machines which we know are failing due to a pci bus errror of some description... most of them are running linux and the symtoms shown are that the box keeps running but begins to fail to allow ssh connections to it. Now, we have a small number of similar devices running windows, and a couple of them have begun to be a bit flakey when trying to remote desktop to them.

Given that the functionality of these apps is very similar I was wondering if any of you wise owls could comment on whether the linux symptoms and windows symtoms are because the same component is failing in the boxes... ?

Thanks dudes :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
That'd be quite a lot of speculation mate. I'd be more inclined to agree that if they're the same machines and of the same age that it would be reasonable to assume that they're likely to be suffering from the same failure.

I hope someone's taking some backups either way ;)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
are the linux logs saying there are failures, besides the obvious failing to set up a session?

Kryten

Old Cow.
We have 3 identical servers at work. Remote desktopping to two of them makes the system unstable and 2/3 times bluescreens it. The other 1/3 it'll sit there for about 10 minutes deciding what to do.

When I say identical, I mean identical down to roles and driver setups. Can't fathom it, but as we're decommissioning in a few months, we've just disabled RDP and use vnc instead. NFI what's causing it, they're older dual intel xeon systems with intel 825xx gigabit NICs (MT series)

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Cheers chaps - OS's aren't reporting errors but system is showing pci bus errors on some of the other machines we have recalled where they have showed similar problems... no biggy chaps, was just a thought.

@ Kryten - pretty much decided the same as you ... 'it's flakey as fuck' :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom