Facebook

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
As I've been travelling I've obviously run into loads of studenty types doing their post-graduation travelling, and they're all obsessed with Facebook, and now I'm getting loads of invites to join it. Anyone on here use it? It seems OK, but I really can't see what all the fuss is about.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I have an account forced on my by some workmates, but its not me doubt Ill ever use it tbh.

Chilly

Balls of steel
its superb for keeping track of a large group of friends who live in different places. it really is very useful for sorting out events and pissups etc too.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I banned it from work. That and myspace. Fucking hate myspace!!

mank!

Part of the furniture
i think it's ace. it means i never have to use a telephone and i can share photos without having to fuck about too much.

chilly's right as well tis good for organising stuff.

add me, *****

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
As I've been travelling I've obviously run into loads of studenty types doing their post-graduation travelling, and they're all obsessed with Facebook, and now I'm getting loads of invites to join it. Anyone on here use it? It seems OK, but I really can't see what all the fuss is about.

They harvest email addresses by asking stupid cocks for their email password and then use these to spam and also sell on addresses to spammers.

They are dubious at best.. + they think they can screw 2bn dollars out of some even more stupid company, they will burst the second intermationsuperhighweb (v2.1)(tm)(c) bubble.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
-Aada Mode -

Facebook is for rapists. It obviously is so because anyone who doesn't use it is not a rapist. Therefore everything I say is true. SO DON'T ARGUE! OR I WILL CRY!

-Aada Mode Off -

Don't use it. Looked at it a bit, seemed like Myspace for non emo's.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Tried it once. Hated it. But then you know my stance on all this.

However, if you're a music lover then you'll probably know about

Last.fm – The Social Music Revolution

The only social networking that won't turn your soul into a malignant, black, pus dripping growth.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Facebook is good, nice simple look, you can limit who can see your profile and what details. It really is good for sharing photos and getting in touch with old work and school mates.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.

Same Gaff, I met some Swedish girls in Prague at the weekend as they were doing a Euro tour and one of their first questions was "are you on Facebook?"

I'm not on Facebook.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
Facebook, is simple, easy, effective way of getting in touch with people you have lost contact with, sharing photos and organising events.

I have found though that people over 25, even web-savvy ones are bizarrely hostile to it.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Facebook is like myspace but currently without all the ugly bullshit, this will however no doubt soon change as they've just started to allow "applications" (where you plug extra crap into your profile) and it's only a small step from there to "themes"

However at the moment it is quite good for digging up people because unless you're a really sad fuck you put your real name in your profile instead of some "ub3r4aiyt8" myspace name.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I have found though that people over 25, even web-savvy ones are bizarrely hostile to it.

I actually think the hostility is due to the faint whiff of elitism about it. Because it started out for students it has that slight "look at us, aren't we great?" thing going on. I didn't like that shit when I was at uni, so I sure ain't going to get all moist about it now.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I despise Myspace but actually really like Facebook. I only registered about a month ago and have found loads of people from school/uni I thought I'd never see again.

Facebook is great for finding old friends and stuff, Myspace is better for self-promotion I think but some people's spaces are just so goddamn hideous it puts me off the whole thing. I like the rigidity of Facebook, it better not turn into Myspace - so far the applications seem pretty harmless (emphasis on 'so far').

Embattle

FH is my second home
Ironic at a time when there is more and more about identity theft how many people are putting loads of information out on the internet at the same time :)

First time I heard about Facebook was that news article on BBC news about how they used it to try and find that woman, who was eventually found dead.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
I just tried it, registered and everything and it's a whole new level of useless shite isn't it? Can't find anyone useful, can't even see peoples profiles, and i can't be bothered to join a 'network'

I feel dirty and now wish i could undo my mistake.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
*throws yaruar a bone* ... Facebook | Freddyshouse

Ahh, i discovered groups and they are impossible to find too.. I thought, as an experiment to look for photography groups.. i get as far as arts and crafts and then it's 1000000000 to go throught o find any. Designed by muppets if you ask me.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
change the methodology, type "photography" in the search box and give that a go.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
I always thought I'd hate Facebook like I do MySpace, but I think that whilst they do a lot of the same things, the guys behind Facebook have a strong sense of class and style. I think they know that their simple look and feel is a reason for the success and unlike G, I don't think introducing Applications is going to slip them toward themes or other nastiness.

The fact that applications have to be clicked on to be activated makes it impossible to create a profile page that automatically plays music, for example. For that restriction we can but applaud.

I didn't think I'd like it, but since all my old school friends are there it's usefulness is outweighing the duplication of effort (I blog and post photos to other places, but then use Yahoo! Pipes to munge it all into Facebook's notes feature).

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
I used to think of it as RateMyFace.com, but then I actually joined. It's really useful for finding old friends and getting back in touch as well as organising events.

No more do you need to send 50 million text messages, phone calls etc. Also you can see what all your friends are up to and group together photos from the last nights bender.

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
Im hesitant to join. Someone might just come and kill me if they knew my full name and location..

taB

Part of the furniture
They were talking about facebook on radio 2 from bout 5:10 last night (listen again if u can be arsed) but missed most of it cos my car broke down!

Gray

FH is my second home
Curious about this Facebook, when i looked at it originally i dont know, nothing seemed special about it. I did signup, but it seemed a bit iffy where on several areas of searching [For instance, school searching, or work searching] it requires you to put the works email address in...

Why oh why do they need information such as that? Spam mail?

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
For work and university "Networks" you need a work/uni email address to show that you are really a member.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah its quite good thing imo. For example if you want to join the uni.plymouth network you need an email address ending in @students.plymouth.ac.uk and be able to confirm it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom