F22: Total Air War

MikeyBear

Loyal Freddie
Any1 got this? (its oooold)

I dusted off my copy recently and started playing it again (with a hack to let it run 1024x768 ...told U it was old).

Its awesome tbh, still holds up today.

http://www.f22totalairwar.de has some screenies if you've never seen it.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
Yup, it was an amazing sim. One of the best if not the best flight sim. The gfx were top notch for the time (esp after I put a Voodoo2 in my machine which allowed me to have some 'extra' gfx features). The dynamic campaign has not been beaten, the ability to control the AWACs, it just shouted class in a glass from every bit of the program.

I might stick it on again, where can I get this 'hack' from?

MikeyBear

Loyal Freddie
Cdr said:
I might stick it on again, where can I get this 'hack' from?

http://www.f22totalairwar.de has got just about everything you'll need including the official patch.
I have had the odd crash while running it with XP - especially with viewing the demo mode - no major show stoppers tho'.

MikeyBear

Loyal Freddie
Embattle said:
I had EF2000, which was before F22:TAW :(

Yeah got that 'n' all :)
Still plays well as well tbh, gfx are *much* rougher tho. Me and ToadTheFrog
had some laughs with EF2000 on a LAN as I remember.

Quality stuff, I'd love to see more sims from the gang at DiD, wonder what theyre doing now that Rage has gone the way of the dinos as well.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Always seemed sad that DiD went to the wall, they could of done so much more...I found EF2000 had the perfect balance in terms of control method, not so complicated that you would forget that you were flying because you were too busy finding keys and looking at other shots :)

MikeyBear

Loyal Freddie
Embattle said:
I found EF2000 had the perfect balance in terms of control method...

Aye, I think that's where a lot of the modern age sims have gone wrong. They're trying to be *too* realistic. I've got a virtually unused copy of Flanker 2.0 here and the Lomac demo is rotting on my HD cos I can't work out how to switch weapons, lock something up and fire \o/

The DiD stuff was very install and go friendly, you could get up in the air and start raining fire on things quickly which would then lead you on to find out more about the deeper elements in the game, accessibility is the key.

MikeyBear

Loyal Freddie
Continuing the retro gig (i'm desperate to find a good sim I may have missed) did anyone get Eurofighter Typhoon? (its the last game the DiD lot did before Rage took them into the abyss when they fell).
Ive got it installed here and the sp front end is a horror tbh but it does have some MP Coop mish's *twitch*.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
Yeah, I have it.

I've not played it much, I bought it for my dad. It did have some issues with my joystick tho (throttle not working some of the time), but apart from that it was okay. Certainly not as good as DiD's earlier work (EF2000, F22:ADF and TAW).

Also, did you know that before DiD closed it's doors, it did a lot of work for the RAF, and their sims?

MikeyBear

Loyal Freddie
Cdr said:
Yeah, I have it.

I've not played it much, I bought it for my dad. It did have some issues with my joystick tho (throttle not working some of the time), but apart from that it was okay. Certainly not as good as DiD's earlier work (EF2000, F22:ADF and TAW).

Also, did you know that before DiD closed it's doors, it did a lot of work for the RAF, and their sims?

Theres a patch for the throttle issue - does the same for me n'all.

Didnt know DiD did (giggle) work for the RAF no, d'ya know what they did?

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
Mostly helping out with the RAF Simulators that they use to train the pilots. I think they designed a lot of the flight dynamics of some of the sims.

MikeyBear

Loyal Freddie
The search continues.... just installed Enemy Engaged: Comanche v Hokum again... it stopped working sometime ago with the advent of USB sticks but has since been patched \o/.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
hehe aye, I remember playing that. The cockpits were simply stunning.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
na tis an old un. Few years I think. Was good for its day, but the scenery does look a little dated now. Certainly the best modern heli sim out there.

MikeyBear

Loyal Freddie
Its old(ish) - published in 2000 iirc. Still better than anything flying today tho. The GFX are simple by todays fps standards obv. but they are still more than functional and rather gorgeous in places. Plus on today machines it runs at 1600x1200 with not a slideshow in sight \o/.

It has the dynamic campaign modes (totally non scripted) of F22:TAW together with the same complexity / accessability balance that the DiD stuff excelled at.

U can't beat hovering behind trees and plinking tanks etc :)

Can still pick it up on budget (the "Xplosive" range iirc)

A

asdof

F22 Adf

I have just dug my copy of f22 adf out of the cupboard to play but i seem to get crash problems when running it under winxp. Any ideas anyone

helpless

MikeyBear

Loyal Freddie
Make sure Uve got the patches listed at http://www.f22totalairwar.de/ (noisey site btw, terrible music as well - u have to wonder about some ppls state of mind).
I found changing the renderer / driver I was using helped a ton. Its uglier natch. but it works.

Edit: Just noticed U said "F22:ADF" - no idea about that one, soz. Ive got it here (somewhere) but its not installed.

DougyC

Fledgling Freddie
Have all you Enemy Engaged players got the latest enhancements from http://eech.bollocks.net.nz/

You need to register but they are working from the origional source code and have coded in stuff like mouse look.

Worth a look if you like this game.

FredAlert

Fledgling Freddie
The good old stuff

Hi, i'm new here and just would like to say that i have F22ADF, EF2000, Eurofighter Typhoon, Enemy Engaged (just recently reloaded this great sim on my new system and works great). Its great to have all these realy well done flight sims. Just got F22TAW yesterday from ebay for total of $6. Just DLed the patches and cant wait to see what the 1024 patch is gonna look like :)
I would have to say that i have spent more time on the f22 arcade. my best score so far is well acually i dont have the info on this computer but it was about 74,000 in less than 3 hours.
I also have Falcon4, Flanker 2.51 (witch i think is quit good but lacks a few things that DID could ad ;)) and LOMAC (collecting dust due to bugs, but best graphic so far in my opinion).

Casbardh

Loyal Freddie
Did anyone here find it really difficult to bring the enemy down in TAW?

Forever spent my time winging SU-27's with sidewinders, and not getting kills!

As for EF2000, the first ever flightsim I can think of where you could use terrain in the missions, sweeping up glacial valleys to avoid radar, hitting a target and sweeping over a hill side to escape!

Heart Stopping Stuff.

Anyone got any links for that? Did try to get it going to no avail, and couldnt find any web resources.

Edit: I spent many hours palying TAW...good game.

FredAlert

Fledgling Freddie
Shoot, I went to the f22totleairwar site that you put up and DLed the English patch but it turned out to be the German ver. Has anyone verify this for me or did i dl the german by mistake. Thanks in advance.

moms_killer

Fledgling Freddie
Hi guys,

I need the Winner Campaign Strategy gui de from the site f22totalairwar.de because is closed now some one have downloaded these file ??
Because i have maked a site www.f22taw.com who collect all ressources for the games.

Thx in advance.

moms_killer

Fledgling Freddie
F22taw.com is Online !!!

hi pilots,

F22taw.com is online come and register with us !!
Many features are incomming like tournament, MOD group, tutorial, download and more ...

http://www.f22taw.com

Regards, Moms_Killer .

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom