F1 Montreal

kirennia

Part of the furniture
So footballs being posted here, why not formula1 :D

Kubica's crash:

YouTube - Crash Kubica Montreal

One hell of an impact and he very very nearly clipped the other car which went out earlier on in the race which could have made things so so much worse :( Hope the guys back soon as possible; just glad to hear he only broke his leg.

Ok'ish race but as per usual, english reporters destroy it. Luis Hamiltons first grand prix win, what an incredible ordeal he had to go through to get there! He's the next ayrton senna! No, he had the best car (yes Alonso had the same car but it was damaged throughout the race, just look at sato overtaking him..) and was 1st from start to finish. Correct me if I'm wrong but did he overtake or get overtaken by a single car?

Well done to the lad but saying he had to go through a tremendous amount to get to 1st is slightly overdoing things :p

Overall a good grand prix, just a shame a few bad decisions were made, like taking Fisicella (i think?) and Massa out of the race :(

Edit : Just realise how it sounded, I'm far far from an Alonso fanboy, think he's one of the luckiest and most arrogant drivers about.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
kirennia said:
Overall a good grand prix, just a shame a few bad decisions were made, like taking Fisicella (i think?) and Massa out of the race :(

Don't agree with that at all.
While it might of been nicer from a spectators point of view to keep them in, driving through a red light = black flag and that's exactly how it should be.

After a major crash like that you need the drivers paying attention so the medical staff can get to the scene etc.. driving through a red light shows they wern't. It's not like it's a "grey area" so disputable like some of the descision that get made. It was completely black and white.

Think Alonso and Rosberg were unlucky tho. Having to come in while the pit lane was closed because otherwise they would of run out of fuel. Think it shows that the rule might need some work there.. sent to the back of the grid, purely for very unfortunate timing of a planned pitstop seems slightly over the top!

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Heh, aye. The whole alonso/rosberg thing was why I bought it up. The pit lane was closed yet they went in as they saw no harm in it; they should have been paying attention and were given a 10 second stop and go penalty.

Massa and fisichella went out with no safety car anywhere in sight as they saw no harm in it; black flagged from the entire race.

Whilst the two incidents weren't exactly the same, both involve the pit lane and both were very dangerous. As the pit crews were told a SC was out, they'd instantly know they can run across the lane as there will be no through traffic. If one of their teammates had been involved in that magnitude of a crash, I'm pretty sure they'd be concerned :(, hence the possibility for an accident there.

They should have either all been black flagged or all had 10 second penalties.

Sorry I didn't clarify earlier bud ;) Didn't want to make a huge post and ended up leaving out quite a crucial bit to my statement! doh!

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Guess the thing is the rules were specified clearly at the start.

You can argue the rules suck, but you can't argue it was officiated wrong.

Personally I think the rules suck.. If your going to run out of fuel, what do you do? Leaving the pit lane through a red is avoidable tho, so don't really have an issue with that rule.. Just stop!

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
I dont think the English commentators went to far at all. He is a rookie driver and he is handling himself in a very mature fashion. I use Button as an example living the playboy life style supposedly full of promise and he has achieved shit all. Yes Hamilton is in a good car, but they do not just get anyone driving them.

This victory aside, he has performed way beyond what anyone could have expected him to, hes had a couple of bumps in practice, yet he is qualifying well, showing excellent vision and composure when over taking more experienced drivers, and also doing a good job of keeping his ass ahead of the guy behind him.

I stopped watching F1 because I used to hate how most races depended on the pit stop. Hamilton is giving me a reason to start watching again. It is nice to see a British sportsman, be modest and not some arrogant little prick who has not done anything yet.

NikonL

Fledgling Freddie
Saying lewis had a tough time isn't an exaggeration. He drove his heart out, built up a 20 second lead, then had it taken away due to saftey car. built it up again, and had it cut down again.. and again. The upshot of this is that he never had the pressure taken off him during the race. It wasn't a case of "oh i'm miles ahead, i can ease off now" he had to keep racing hard.

He qualified 1st, he stayed 1st the entire race. He was easily the fastest man this weekend. Amazing acheivment.

Calaen

Saying lewis had a tough time isn't an exaggeration. He drove his heart out, built up a 20 second lead, then had it taken away due to saftey car. built it up again, and had it cut down again.. and again. The upshot of this is that he never had the pressure taken off him during the race. It wasn't a case of "oh i'm miles ahead, i can ease off now" he had to keep racing hard.

He qualified 1st, he stayed 1st the entire race. He was easily the fastest man this weekend. Amazing acheivment.

Well said. would rep if I could.

gohan

FH is my second home
luis hamilton come from my town, that makes me famous \0/

kirennia

Part of the furniture
I'm not saying he didn't have problems with the safety car and such, everyone did. Seeing a friend in that sort of a crash is going to be a pretty scary thing in the back of your mind also, wondering if he's okey.

"I've not seen anything of a better performance in 17 years", "he's the next ayrton senna", "that was a really really tough weekend for him to get his first pole in" and such are just over the top though. He had a clear race track in front of him the entire race. Did he overtake a single back marker or challenge anyone for position? No because he didn't need to ^^. It just showed he's a solid reliable driver who can keep his cool with people behind him in, I'm sorry to say but worse cars. Heidfeld was behind him for pretty much the entire race, the only time anyone was ever really a tiny threat was off the start line after a restart...

He deserved to win and raced well, yes and I applaud him in that, I just don't like the fact that every single time an English team/personality goes into a sport, that's it, it becomes their show. How much of the rugby was shown in adverts, general tv etc before we won the world cup? Not a great deal and then all of a sudden it's plastered everywhere.

It's a good thing for british motorsport but the fact that during and after the race, they would spend 5 minutes talking about him then go back to talking about someonelse for a bit, then straight back to him, over and over again.

Just in case you're wondering, I think he's a good driver and I am in fact english as well so he has my support over other drivers. English commentaters however, do not. They tarnish his modest personality in my opinion. :(

NikonL

Fledgling Freddie
Did he overtake a single back marker or challenge anyone for position? No because he didn't need to ^^. It just showed he's a solid reliable driver who can keep his cool with people behind him in, I'm sorry to say but worse cars. Heidfeld was behind him for pretty much the entire race, the only time anyone was ever really a tiny threat was off the start line after a restart...

Again... saftey cars? He didn't overtake any back markers because everytime he got CLOSE to overtaking them, the saftey car came out and he lost his lead. To say Heidfeld was behind him for the entire race is bollocks too, hamilton got a 20 second lead on the second place man, TWICE. Which means that had the race been uninterupted, Lewis would have been 40 seconds ahead of the person in second place. You don't get that sort of gap without going fast :p He was also on pole. I don't know what else to say to convince you of just how fast Hamilton was this weekend :|

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Again... saftey cars? He didn't overtake any back markers because everytime he got CLOSE to overtaking them, the saftey car came out and he lost his lead. To say Heidfeld was behind him for the entire race is bollocks too, hamilton got a 20 second lead on the second place man, TWICE. Which means that had the race been uninterupted, Lewis would have been 40 seconds ahead of the person in second place. You don't get that sort of gap without going fast :p He was also on pole. I don't know what else to say to convince you of just how fast Hamilton was this weekend :|

You don't have to convince me he was the fastest man on the track ;) A clear road in front of him and a relatively slower car behind made sure whoever was behind Heidfeld got held up and no challenge was made. He was the fastest man on the track. Does that make him the next Ayrton Senna or worthy of an equally best performance seen from anyone in the last 17 years? The real DIFFICULT wins aren't the ones where you just race as fast as possible, they're where you overtake very well, have to deal with problems or are under constant pressure from those around you.

From the first lap onwards, it was pretty certain he was going to win unless he had technical problems; the rest of the pack made it an awesome race however :) Heidfeld is very very good at keeping whoevers behind him, behind him, even if they are slower ^^

leviathane

Part of the furniture
rofl what did you want him to do for christ sake, let everyone over take him a couple times just to get back in front then let em through again to over take em again.. Some ppl will never be happy. :)

kirennia

Part of the furniture
rofl what did you want him to do for christ sake, let everyone over take him a couple times just to get back in front then let em through again to over take em again.. Some ppl will never be happy. :)

You actually reading what I'm posting? I said well done for winning it and it wasn't him I was having a go at yet you continue to selectively read parts.

It's the bloody commentators saying they "hadn't seen a better performance in 17 years", "he's the next Ayrton senna" and such after his first win. If that is considered a DIFFICULT win then F1 is in trouble...

Takhasis

Can't get enough of FH
Turns out no broken leg, just concussion and a sprained ankle.

Lucky bugger...

soze

I am a FH squatter
Lewis Hamiltons win was like a team winning the premiership by winning 38 games. He was faultless and no one could touch him.

A season where everything is changing week in week out like a race where the lead changed every lap could be more interesting.

But imo the faultless win where even with the safety cars ect he races perfectly. Look at Alonso he was second if he had as cool a head as Hamilton it could have been a closer race but he lost it on numerous times. Hamilton did not.

Thorondorito

One of Freddy's beloved
F1 Rules completely destroyed this race, TBH.

And i'm starting to think that Alonso's crew work for the sun, the daily mirror, etc... ;)

Thorondorito

One of Freddy's beloved
Lewis Hamiltons win was like a team winning the premiership by winning 38 games. He was faultless and no one could touch him.

A season where everything is changing week in week out like a race where the lead changed every lap could be more interesting.

But imo the faultless win where even with the safety cars ect he races perfectly. Look at Alonso he was second if he had as cool a head as Hamilton it could have been a closer race but he lost it on numerous times. Hamilton did not.

I dont think so. Alonso has demostrated he has a cool head by winning 2 world championship in Renault (1 over Schumacher)

Maybe being in the 2nd place of your team after winning 2 champioships can hurt him, dont you think so?

IMO the worst error committed by Alonso is to sign with McLaren, an English team with an English pilot, knowing how English press it... it's just a suicide.

I cant remember who won Montecarlo's race... Maybe you can help me. For a guy with a non-cold-head it's not a bad result ;)

Calaen

Would that be Alonso, who's team mate was pretty much told not to chase him?

kirennia

Part of the furniture
I dont think so. Alonso has demostrated he has a cool head by winning 2 world championship in Renault (1 over Schumacher)

Maybe being in the 2nd place of your team after winning 2 champioships can hurt him, dont you think so?

IMO the worst error committed by Alonso is to sign with McLaren, an English team with an English pilot, knowing how English press it... it's just a suicide.

Nah, in this race he just overran the first corner twice early on which in turn made his car deteriorate throughout the course of the race. Tbh he's pretty lucky it didn't go on for another 10 laps else who knows whoelse would have overtaken him after Sato ;)

And I really don't think a team would purposefully sign a multi million dollar contract with someone just to make sure they loose multi million dollar races.

At least he managed to get out of Renault at the right time; he's currently second in the championship which is hardly a bad thing and Renault are doing awfully compared to the last few seasons.

soze

I am a FH squatter

I cant remember who won Montecarlo's race... Maybe you can help me. For a guy with a non-cold-head it's not a bad result ;)

I did not mean to knock Alonsos driving it is just a response to the people saying Hamiltons win was cheap because he had the fastest car when the identical car was nowhere near him.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
I did not mean to knock Alonsos driving it is just a response to the people saying Hamiltons win was cheap because he had the fastest car when the identical car was nowhere near him.

Who said that? o_O

Genedril

Part of the furniture
More Prost-like than Senna-like if you ask me. Kept his cool & didn't take risks. Not saying that like it's a bad thing mind. Senna had his faults too - if anyone can remember him in Monaco sticking it in the wall while eons ahead after being told to cool it ;).

I'm not convinced that Renault have gone backwards after Alonso left either, he was head & shoulders above Fissie for the last couple of years so they were obviously going to miss him when he left.

Dilemma for me is that while I've supported McLaren for years (since Senna drove for them, was Lotus with the wonderful air suspension & Yellow Camel car before that) but my favourite driver (Kimi) went & started driving for the devil......

As for the rules, they change every year & it always seems to take some people a while to get used to them (or work out how to 'bend' them).

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Nah, in this race he just overran the first corner twice early on which in turn made his car deteriorate throughout the course of the race. Tbh he's pretty lucky it didn't go on for another 10 laps else who knows whoelse would have overtaken him after Sato ;)

And I really don't think a team would purposefully sign a multi million dollar contract with someone just to make sure they loose multi million dollar races.

At least he managed to get out of Renault at the right time; he's currently second in the championship which is hardly a bad thing and Renault are doing awfully compared to the last few seasons.

The reason he got overtaken by Sato was because of Alonso driving on soft tyres with lots of grain while the japanese doing it on the hard ones.

Alonso drove one of his most weird gps on his career, making numerous mistakes.

Anyways, ill give credit where is due, Hamilton drove prefectly, tho were not even in the middle part of the season. He will have his bad days just like Kimi n Alonso had.

Perform

Fledgling Freddie
Its a shame with F1, cos they only show the front runners, who just basically seem like they follow eachother round the track, whereas mid-grid, they race and overtake etc!

Thorondorito

One of Freddy's beloved
Would that be Alonso, who's team mate was pretty much told not to chase him?

And I guess you have the documents that prove this..., do you?

What I think is that you read an article in a british newspapper and you just trusted it.

Well, be happy, if McLaren didnt stop Hamilton on Montecarlo... he will be pretty sure out of the race (I saw him 2 times almost out near the end of the lap)

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Its a shame with F1, cos they only show the front runners, who just basically seem like they follow eachother round the track, whereas mid-grid, they race and overtake etc!

Cant agree more

This season: 0 "in race" overtakes btwn the podium drivers on each grandprix. Sad, very sad... :twak:

1 of the reasons i got hooked by F1 when i was a child was the wars Hill vs Schumi; Hakinen vs Schumi. Ah those were the days...

Thorondorito

One of Freddy's beloved

Nah, i dont think so.

The strongest part of the car is down there, almost all plane. And he crossed a grass surface...

The problem was on the wheels (in last stop)

soze

I am a FH squatter
And I guess you have the documents that prove this..., do you?

What I think is that you read an article in a british newspapper and you just trusted it.

Well, be happy, if McLaren didnt stop Hamilton on Montecarlo... he will be pretty sure out of the race (I saw him 2 times almost out near the end of the lap)

I you really think there are not team orders in F1 you need help. Many times last year would a driver set a awesome pace only to get behind his team mate where he would then lose enough speed per lap to back the pack off his team mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom